Has anyone experienced their husky developing fear of noises?

chelseafan

Cai has recently developed a fear of loud noises, a neighbour is building a shed and sometimes drops tools, if Cai’s in the garden he rushes inside wanting to run upstairs, fireworks were a nightmare for him he wouldn’t go out unless it was for his walks, my son gets a little loud on his xbox and Cai will pace around. This seems to have come out of nowhere, I’m saying ‘it’s ok Cai’ to him and I’ll redirect his attention onto something else. Has anyone experienced this and will this fear subside and what else can I do? Luka blue is so chilled out, he’s not displaying this behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

My male pup is scared to death of the noise from the metal kiddy gate moving. (It fell on him once and now he won’t even go near it). The kids have knocked over our kitchen plastic gate and he takes off and hides in the corner shacking. I haven’t worked with him with over coming it because I like him not testing the gates. Non of them are latched.

My big female was scared of keys and doors closing. I did positive  Association training with her and it worked. Maybe find away to treat during the noise?

Hope he gets over it.   Lunar used to be terrified   -  basically because when I got him I had another dog who was terrified of fireworks  (rescued as an old adult)  -  he saw Bernie and copied his reactions.   After Bernie died I worked with him by not giving him cuddles, reassurance, or anything  -  I made him face his fears   (yes I know it sounds cold  - but it worked for him)  -   I took him out in the garden and stood with him on his lead for a few minutes watching the fireworks then took him in and fed him.    It might have been tough love -  and whilst he still is not overkeen on them  he will go out in the garden to pee during the banging and flashing  -  providing Marley is with him.   

Marley doesn't give a rat's **** about them  -  just stands and watches them.

Socks, my remaining cat however is a totally different story.  stuck to me like a limpet, pacing round and round the sette when I am sitting.     I keep him with me - all curtains closed and the tv on a bit louder than usual -  but he is terrified poor little mite.

Thank you for the advice, I think I’ll try playing ball with him, he loves me throwing it for him, he brings it to me when he wants to play, and see if it distracts him enough, maybe try abit of tough love and a treat afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Hope he gets over it.   Lunar used to be terrified   -  basically because when I got him I had another dog who was terrified of fireworks  (rescued as an old adult)  -  he saw Bernie and copied his reactions.   After Bernie died I worked with him by not giving him cuddles, reassurance, or anything  -  I made him face his fears   (yes I know it sounds cold  - but it worked for him)  -   I took him out in the garden and stood with him on his lead for a few minutes watching the fireworks then took him in and fed him.    It might have been tough love -  and whilst he still is not overkeen on them  he will go out in the garden to pee during the banging and flashing  -  providing Marley is with him.   

Marley doesn't give a rat's **** about them  -  just stands and watches them.

Socks, my remaining cat however is a totally different story.  stuck to me like a limpet, pacing round and round the sette when I am sitting.     I keep him with me - all curtains closed and the tv on a bit louder than usual -  but he is terrified poor little mite.

That sounds so much more appropriate and a great way!

2 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Thank you for the advice, I think I’ll try playing ball with him, he loves me throwing it for him, he brings it to me when he wants to play, and see if it distracts him enough, maybe try abit of tough love and a treat afterwards.

I am going to try that with mine. Last 4th, they were so young and just slept through it. 

Great idea

With Lunar  and Bernie  -  they used to jump up on our laps for reasurance, climb over us in panic, bark, howl etc.     I started the first year with just not accepting that behaviour, not fussing him when he came up, making him get down from the settee,  not letting him try to hide behind a chair.    I also opened the curtains and stood by the french door in the lounge and watched the fireworks.    I had some high value treats in my pocket and any time Lunar came up to me  I gave him one - providing he wasn't in a panic etc.

I did the same at New Year's Eve  but had him outside on his lead  (although Lunar has never been the athletic type or one to try and escape)  - it was more for control so he wouldn't hurt himself in the dark.    By this time I had rescued another oldie  -  Cane  a 10 yr old black lab  -  happy go lucky  - and just really, really appreciative of a new home.   He was also in the garden, off lead  so Lunar could see he wasn't bothered by the noise   (been there, done that attitude).

It did take around 3 years  -  there are not that many opportunities for fireworks after all  - but last night both dogs went outside  (OK I went with them as well which I do not normally do) Lunar hardley even flinched at a massive bang  -  just moved closer to Marley who was stood watching the light show.   Neither dog came to me for reassurance.

Brooke my old stuffy was fine until she about 2/3 years old and then developed a fear of fireworks. We had no idea why, there was nothing out of the ordinary from previous years but it happened.
At that time I didn’t really know too much so I did the most natural thing and try to comfort her. In hindsight that probably made things worse by teaching her that yes there was a danger but I didn’t know what else to do. If I had that time again (and trust me I’d bite my own hand off to have her back with us as she passed away a couple of years ago) I would try and remain calm to show her that things are fine and distract her here and there with some games and treat training . With Brooke we never got much further than sit but she was very good at it! [emoji23]
Pepper is a little unsure of the fireworks but not to the extent of Brooke. She just goes off to see what’s happening and then comes back to see me for reassurance. If the fireworks happen at night when we are in bed then she goes into defence mode and looks like she’s ready to take them all on singlehanded.

I know this is a different situation to you but that was my experiences with loud noises. Bear and Ice are both pretty content. Bear was not as a pup due to a really bad experience, which is how we come to have her. Any vehicle sounds terrified her. So we just kept walking her along less busy streets or busier streets at quieter times until she built up the confidence to face the harder challenges. Over time she became used to it and now she pays little attention to traffic. More interested in people and getting strokes [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I’m working on playing in the garden with him, he loves to play, the fireworks are still going off at night, he’s coming to the back door and looking out, he’s only managed to come outside once but it’s a start.
Good advice not to instill the fear by comforting, thanks Emma.

Archived