Dog breeds at risk of extinction - Siberian Husky !

wolfpup

The bit below is from Dogs Naturally magazine  this months issue   -  its a bit worrying don't you think?     How about us all getting another husky !

Dog breeds at risk of extinction

In 2008, there were just under 4,000 Yorkshire Terriers bred in the UK, yet in 2017 there were only 876 – a radical fall of 78.1%. If the numbers continue to fall at this rate, Yorkshire Terriers would disappear altogether by 2060.

Bichon Frises are also at risk, as their numbers have dropped by almost three quarters (72%) in the last ten years, from 2757 to just 769. If these trends continue, Bichon Frises may only be around until 2070.

Similarly, in 2008, there were just over 7000 West Highland White Terriers bred, but by 2017, the number of Westies had reduced by 71%. Should this trend continue, the breed could disappear by 2080.

Top five breeds that have fallen in popularity

Yorkshire Terrier – fallen by 78%
Bichon Frise – fallen by 72%
West Highland White Terrier – fallen by 71%
Bull Mastiff – fallen by 70%
Siberian Husky – fallen by 65%

Other breeds that are also at risk of dying out include Bull Mastiffs, Siberian Huskies, Schnauzers and King Charles Spaniels.

I saw something online stating that Siberian Huskies are ranked 12 out of 190 here in the US.

There was a huge surge after Game of Thrones aired.

Now all of our Husky Rescuers are overwhelmed with middle aged Huskies and the Shelters are full of  juvenile huskies that they pick up because they have  escape. 

I think it is the good  knowledgeable dog owners that are going  extent here.

I know English Setters are at risk of extinction too!

Surprised about huskies though, there’s quite a few round here

I wonder if these ‘designer breeds’ are partly to blame for the decline of some breeds

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

There are so many huskies around that I’m quite surprised by this.

I didn’t realise there was even such a thing as an English setter. All you ever hear of are the Irish setters, so I can totally understand that one. Will have to google the breed to see if I’ve seen one before and not realised....

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Maybe the numbers only reflect officially registered AKC breedings...
and not the "backyard breeders"...?

The husky rescue here is overwhelmed...
and there are always huskies on Craiglist  😞
They certainly don't seem to be endangered, but a lot of huskies are homeless:-(

Maybe the fall in huskies are because people get them on looks and don't realise they are dogs that need a lot of excercise. Refuges are full of huskies. They are not a dog suitable for a street house and a quick walk around the block. Hopefully any drop is because it's a drop in the wrong type of people getting them. 

Archived