Whining on walks

ShepskyFido

So whilest leash training my puppy we use the stop and go method as so far it works best with him. I have seen a huge improvement in the first 5 - 10 minutes of the walk but pretty quickly it turns into him whining whenever we stop. He only started with this about a month ago (so basically when he turned about 6 months) . It sounds so bad sometimes that people come up to me and ask whether he is ok. I thought it might be because he gets impatient and I try to gradually increase the walk time very slowly but in case I am doing something wrong or I am missing why he is actually whining I just wanted to ask here about it. Thanks for any response in advance!

Try Successdogs.com

His focus is not on you - distract him with 'Here' and when he looks at you reward with a little treat and a 'Yes! Watch me!' With two fingers to your eyes.
Ignore the bad, praise every good action.
Umbilical cord training really helps too. [emoji847]
Absolutedogs.com too xx

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

The problem I have is that he has a very low interest in treats. I have been working on the focus for a while and he does look at me from time to time when I say 'Here' but just rejects the treat basically. I always try to say "Yes good" in the most encouraging way possible. As soon as I start walking he doesn't care anymore and starts whining when I say 'Here' and stop again. I'll definitely give the  umbilical cord training a try and look at how much it helps 😅 

My male gets in the zone. It can be so frustrating and  embarrassing. 

I am sure my neighbors think he is so out of control and I am a crazy person.

I have been working on  desensitization. I only walk the street in front of my house. Doing the turns and setting every time he gets reactive to something. List of positive, and treats. Seemed to have been doing great with it. Going a little further each time. He was doing so well, I was able to switch from the choker to his harness and take his muzzle off.

However, yesterday my daughter talked me into going all the way around the block. Once we past the point that we normally walk. His switch went off and it was insane.

Nothing I do snaps him out of it. Screaming, jumping straight up in the air, pulling so hard he almost comes out of his harness. Luckily, I had switched him out of his choker and had the harness on him or he would have seriously hurt him self. 

I am in the same boat as you. He is not interested in treats, will not listen to commands (that he knows and listens to in front of the house). Distracting him doesn’t work. He is clicker trained, gone through training classes, knows to heal, you name it we have done it. 

Never heard of the umbilical cord training. Worth a shot. 

This is a great topic 

It all starts with small short steps.  Successdogs.com show you how.  You canmot run before you can walk lol.

Get the basics ingrained.  Going back to the beginning won't hurt.

Did you know it takes 30 repetitions to even start making a difference? - bit like muscle memory and repetitive 'drilling' into a given command to get a given response expected back. 

There's  a lot to be said for drill routines in the military for new cadets...they get to work as a team, and act as one synchronised unit.  So,  it's training yourself to training your furkid so you work as a team.

Remember, if they don't get it right, what are you doing wrong?  Rushing too fast? Expecting an instant correct response?     It's always your fault, so start slowly, get each step in and understood fully.   Jean Cote uses positive reward training, but emphasizes the Lure, Capture, Reward MO in all his teaching.  Focus on you is the primary objective.

And practice all the new commands, tricks, every day.

Every. Day.

No reward unless they do as you ask, whether to sit, lie down, wait, say please, paw etc. 

🤗

Update:

Just went for an hour walk. Put the harness on them but used the choker and stayed in our normal walking area. AND without their muzzles. 

They did fantastic. Was able to go a little further. 

I truly think staying  consistent, starting with baby steps and then adding a little distance at a time works. At least for mine.

Archived