Why is my husky panting so much!?

Madison_RS

Kota is an (almost) 19 month old husky living in Minnesota. He's pretty lazy because we can't run him as much as we should. For as long as I can remember having him he's always panted a lot. Of course he would when we take him to the park and on walks, but he also does it when he hasn't done any sort of physical activity (like sitting around in the house). For example we could be sitting on the couch together and he would just be slowly panting. It wasn't fast or rough. But for clarification its not CONSTANT but it does happen a lot. For a while I thought it was cute because it seemed relaxing (if that makes sense) but now it sort of worries me. We're just getting into the colder months here so there's even less of a reason why he should be doing it so frequently. Is it the temperature of our house (it's usually around 70° F)? Is it because he pulls too much on walks and hurts himself? Can anyone help? We're still pretty new to being husky owners so anything is appreciated!!

Snapchat-1112324373.jpg

He looks soo cute.

I had the same worries with my male. My female doesn’t pant when he does and she recovers in half the time it takes my male.

However, I really started noticing it after he had  pneumonia four months ago. (But he did pant for no reason before that too, I just didn’t notice it as much because it was high 90s and 100s outside.)

I just monitor his behavior to ensure it is not a stress  respiratory reaction. 

I pay close attention to food and water intake around play or  exercise. Keeping him calm 2 hours before feeding and 2 hours after feeding to keep from bloating since (mine) has so much air in his stomach from panting. 

I haven’t brought this  particular issue up to my vet but, he has been seen so many times and have had so many X-rays taken, I know it is not a medical issue and he does have higher then normal amount of air (gassy puppy 🤢 LOL) in his stomach from what X-rays that have been taken.

Here is a pic of him right now. He was just laying on the couch doing nothing. Just jumped down and is panting. 

00133863-A973-4151-B454-65CF612CCB2B.thumb.jpeg.f6de381cecdb9f8b49aebc2f14949c6a.jpeg

Dogs pant if they’re excited or energetic or hot but if it’s heavy panting and there’s no obvious reason for it I’d get a vet check to make sure there’s no underlying problem. Luka blue pants more than Cai but he gets hot quicker so he likes to be in the cold more, it could be that he’s too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Dogs panting = humans sweating

I had the same worries over my dog this summer!  He would seem asleep, but would wake us up in the middle of the night with spells of loud, fast panting! In the summer, we set our thermostat to 76 (it gets very steamy here in the southern U.S. and outside it is in the 80s and 90s).  But now that the weather has cooled down, his panting fits have stopped and I don't see him panting when just lying around the house, either. So if his panting continues in the cool weather, I would have him checked by vet.
I had googled it, and there are several medical conditions that might cause excessive panting for a dog -  the vet would check for those just to rule them out.

But your dog is so young , so I would lean towards assuming he is healthy but just feeling a little hot (or uncomfortable in some way?)...

( PS .  yes, be careful about the pulling on walks...you could change to a no-pull harness if you can't train him not to pull?  Constant pressure on their throat from pulling, can hurt their trachea. )

Archived