Marley vomiting blood

wolfpup

I'm sorry to hear Marley isn't feeling well. You have an appointment in the morning but I wonder if you could take him to an emergency.

My girl was like him -didn't eat, didn't move, didn't respond, and the vet took her in right away.  She had a high blood pressure and high fever and got IV and stayed at the hospital the night.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just got back from the vet   -  quite a marathon session.   They are now doing another set of bloodworks - complete this time (thought they had done that last time).   Searching not only for H pylori, but campylobactor, salmonella, another couple I had not heard of.   Another set of bloodworks for food allergies.   I have to send in another three sets of stool samples  (last time the vet did not send them off)!    He is also checking for many different parasites.

He has given me another course of antibiotics but said not to give them to him until I have all three stool samples  -  preferably one each day over three days  - but he would take two samples from the same day if it means Marley can get on the antibiotics sooner.  I am to give him the antiboitics if his temperature gets any higher .................. his exact words were "rather ruined stool samples than a dead dog". 

When he went to take Marley's temperature - he mentioned his dirty backside - I explained that that was after two washings  ................. but his comment was "I can smell the blood on him"  -  meaning more that it was due to the amount of blood rather than our poor cleaning efforts.   He checked him for anemia but said he still seemed ok at the moment but to keep an eye on his gum colour.

When I mentioned that this was now around 45 hours since he last ate  - he said he could go a month if he had to   -  he was not bothered about Marley not eating - but gave me a syringe to get water into him on an hourly basis unless I have seem him drink before hand.

He also said for me to give him the pepto bismol twice a day as this would help stop the bleeding (even though one of the side effect of it is bleeding ulcers)!  Bearing in mind Marley will not eat anything  -  I tried crushing the tablet up with my mortar & pessle, mixing it with water and syringing it into him   -  it has a very strong peppermint flavour that Marley evidently does not like  -  he took the first syringe (mostly water) but when he tasted the second one he stopped swallowing and let it all run down out of his mouth.

I laid on the floor by the front door with him all night  -  he seemed to appreciate the fact I was there  -  even putting his head on the cushion I was using as a pillow and we were almost touching noses for the most of the night  -  did my arthritis of the spine no end of good as you can imagine!

Vets drive me crazy!!  You would think that they would’ve already done all the test the first time. Tried to pull that crap with me once, said they were trying to keep cost down, told them I should have been advised of what test was available and not given so I could advise them what was affordable.... They ended up not charging me for three test because of it. That makes me 🤬 for you. That sucks.

Keep at it. The syringes are great to use. Water down the cat food, done broth, etc and shove it down him. LOL 😛🥺

I soooo can imagine how your back feels. Slept on the floor a few times for mine and on the couch the past 7 months. Never felt so old and the pain is in a really bad spot. 😖 CBD works great for me.

Don't forget to take care of you.

Keep the updates coming 

On 11/16/2018 at 5:55 PM, BBava said:

Marley is so lucky to have you !  You take care of yourself, too.

Sorry guys  -  bit down tonight.    Marley still has not eaten (willingly)  I had to force his tablets down his throat this morning, and also in addition to syringing water into him I managed to get 45 mil of bone broth into him today.     He is so lack-lustre, no sign of his normal cheeky personality - for the last two days he has not even pulled on the lead for his walks with hubby  (normally a nightmare for him) he is just plodding along slowly behing them.

I have not put him on his antibiotics because I need stool samples - but because he is not eating  he is not pooing.    He was sick again last night  -  looked like  brown coffee grains  -  which shows blood that is partially digested.

I stayed with him all last night on the harwood floor  -  it took me until 11am before I could move enough to get into a hot bath.

About two hours after I forced the bone broth into him he rallied for a bit and even got up to go outside for a pee  -  hubby managed to trick him into eating about two teaspoons of sardines (he is very food possessive with Lunar).

Tomorrow I am going to persist with the bone broth -  he takes a couple of syringes then just refuses to swallow and lets it run down his neck.

He is starting to really dislike me for syringing his medication, shoving tablets down his throat, keep offering food he does not want, trying to get him to eat - and when he doesn't I syringe bone broth into him.

Soory guys  -  feel as if I am losing him

My heart breaks for both of you, it’s so hard to stay positive when nothing seems to be working. Just a small thought, have you tried live yoghurt or even kefir? He might like the taste of it, I’d even be giving some butter or cream, even syringe a little olive oil? How happy are you with the vet? Maybe a second opinion? (Pardon me if you’ve thought of or done this already). I've never understood why a vet expects someone to give a sick dog tablets when they aren’t eating? My vet suggested that with my cat recently, I asked for liquid antibiotics and she said they don’t make them so she gave him a long lasting injection instead, can they not do that for Marley.

I’m hoping against hope that he picks up soon.

This is so worrying! 😞
Could you call your vet and bug him? This sounds like it is getting serious.
Maybe vet will tell you to give up on the stool samples and start the antibiotics...whatever it takes to get Marley feeling better.
M is having some kind of internal bleeding...whatever it takes to stop the bleeding, I would do that first.

( Can you at least drag a mattress or a futon or something into the front hall, if you want to sleep there with him...)

2 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

My heart breaks for both of you, it’s so hard to stay positive when nothing seems to be working. Just a small thought, have you tried live yoghurt or even kefir? He might like the taste of it, I’d even be giving some butter or cream, even syringe a little olive oil? How happy are you with the vet? Maybe a second opinion? (Pardon me if you’ve thought of or done this already). I've never understood why a vet expects someone to give a sick dog tablets when they aren’t eating? My vet suggested that with my cat recently, I asked for liquid antibiotics and she said they don’t make them so she gave him a long lasting injection instead, can they not do that for Marley.

I’m hoping against hope that he picks up soon.

I've been giving him kefir  milk and cheese for about 18 months  -  he wont go near it now.   Bone broth has much more goodness in it than either butter or cream.  The vet he is with is widely recognised to be the best withing 50 miles.    He does not want tme to give him the antibiotics as he needs the stool samples to figure out exactly what is causing the problem.    If I give him the antibiotics now I will not be able to give them a stool sample containing live cultures of either viral, bacterial or parasites.

Without knowing exactly what is causing the bleeding ulcers  they dont know what the proper treatment is.

I really am stuck between a rock and a hard place ........................... I just hope I get this right  - if I dont I will kill my soul mate

24 minutes ago, Shepsky5 said:

This is so worrying! 😞
Could you call your vet and bug him?

No chance  -  I only get the number for the emergency vet out of hours.

( Can you at least drag a mattress or a futon or something into the front hall, if you want to sleep there with him...)

Not got either  - only a sleeping bag  -  but I really dont mind  -  my soul mate is far more important to me than a few aches and pains.

I WILL get him through this one way or another - believe me

Just feeling a bit down (sorry for myself) at the mo   -  but I will not give up on my soul mate  -  he WILL bounce back.

Just got to kick myself in the backside and get on with it.

That will be around 4am tomorrow - I promise.

😢 My heart breaks for you. 

I understand the waiting on giving the antibiotics. It just sucks having to wait and not knowing if something else is going on.

Did the vet do a liver enzyme test? I ask because if there is coffee like grins (broken down blood cells) in his vomit, that is a sign of liver failure. 

You can mix  Pedialyte in his water. (Ask the vet what the mixture would be). It will help with hydration.

Your going to be sleeping with him for awhile. Please get something comfy to lay on. Would he sleep on the couch with you?

You are doing everything you can. He knows it. Your allowed breakdowns. Just know you have all of us supporting you. 

Marley seems to have turned a corner in the last 24 hours    although we have been here before when he rallied  - only to crash again but I am cautiously optimistic .    He did two small poos yesterday and one this morning so I can take the samples into the vet today and start him on the antibiotics.     I've been syringing bone broth into him and yesterday even managed to get some warmed cooked chicken and raw beef into him  -  not a lot - but more than he has eaten in 5 days.  This morning he ate half a tin of sardines  -   hubby said he was ravenous - but could not eat any more than half a tin.    He went upstairs this morning  -  so we are all going to bed tonight :D.    He pulled hubby on his morning walk and even went to the park for the first time in a week  (around half a mile away) and hubby said he really seemed to be enjoying it.

It will be a week before the blood and poo test results are back but by this time next week we should know exactly what is going on.  

Just put the phone down with the vet.   He has had the results of the food allergy blood tests through  (not the poo samples yet).

He has a lot of food allergies   -   Very High Positive for soya  -  dangerously high. High positive for potatoes.    Positive for Corn, Wheat, Rice, Carrots, Peas, Oats.   The vet will get a complete sheet from the laboratory and give me a copy when I see him on Tuesday - he expects the poo sample results on Monday.

The vet has said that the soya allergy is so high that it will go so far as to what the meat he is eating was fed on  - and pork is fed on soya, chicken is most likely fed corn, the beef is probably fed on soya and corn.

For the next two weeks definitely and possibly up to two months he can only have white fish as it is unlikely that they have eaten anything Marley is allergic to, salmon & sardines occasionally when he is sick of white fish (wont be long).    

All his treats have gone into the bin  -   my dehydrated liver and chicken he is allowed  -  the liver is from grass fed animals (from my butcher) and the chicken is also from my butcher - organic  -  but I need to check if they are corn fed, however.

I have been in touch with Paleo Ridge and they had confirmed four foods they guarantee not to have been fed any of the foodstuff Marley is allergic to and will contct me again when they have gone through all their stock   -  so I do have some options when Marley can start to eat other things.

Hopefully he will start to improve greatly when he is no longer being fed stuff his body cannot handle and the ulcers start to heal.

Vet is waiting for the stool sample results for possible salmonella/campylorbactor/parasites etc.

My raw food supplier is checking on another organic food she stocks to see if their animals are fed anything on Marley no-go list

I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel at last.

That is awesome!

Well, the fact you are getting answers. 

Man feeding is going to be a pain until it is down to a science. 

When I started pulling foods from my pups the vet said it would take at least 2 months to even start seeing any improvements.

It is insane how many animals are coming up positive for Chicken, wheat, soy, grains, carrots.

I am getting mine tested after the holidays because they are still showing signs of allergies even after pulling the basic causes. 

Good point on what the meat products are being feed.... I am going to look into that. Could be the: my missing peace.

There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

Can’t wait to hear the stool samples. 

Pleased to hear you have some answers, have to wonder why he should be allergic to so many things, I wonder if there’s a genetic tag somewhere? Any, I was thinking, lamb might be a reasonable meat for him. Sheep can’t be force fed or intensively reared so have to have access to grass, turnips are given too but on the whole they’re unlikely to have eaten corn or soya. Of course I might be behind the times and they’ve found something processed that they’ll eat. Might be worth checking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Luna-tic said:

Pleased to hear you have some answers, have to wonder why he should be allergic to so many things, I wonder if there’s a genetic tag somewhere? Any, I was thinking, lamb might be a reasonable meat for him. Sheep can’t be force fed or intensively reared so have to have access to grass, turnips are given too but on the whole they’re unlikely to have eaten corn or soya. Of course I might be behind the times and they’ve found something processed that they’ll eat. Might be worth checking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also found 2 resources for organic lamb  -   but one of them is completely out of my price range    even lamb bone broth is £5 a pint!

One thing the vet did say was that if I had fed him on any sort of kibble then he would have been dead years ago.   He also mentioned that there is no tinned food on the market anywhere that could cope with his requirements, - certainly no medical formula foods.   The only reason he is alive at all is that he was brought up on raw food.

What a relief at last to have some answers, and good news for Marley, at least with his new diet he’ll be healing inside. It’s annoying that shops hoik up the prices on organic foods, I like Lidl’s meat, really good quality, I’d have a read up on where they buy their meat from and what the animals are fed on. I buy 400g packs of beef that cost £2.59, in Tesco’s they cost £3.99 and Morrison’s £3.99, and there’s less fat on the meat from Lidl, I make quite a saving at the end of the week. Wishing Marley well x

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

And the good news keep coming .........................................Stool samples results are back................................. Marley is positive for salmonella !      Just got back from Morrisons after spending £16 on line caught whiting   (took everything they had)  to this news.      Back out now to the vets to pick up the antibiotics.

13 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Food allergies and Salmonella. Both treatable.

That is great news. 

Once all the meds kick in he should be right as rain. YAY

The problem is that salmonella is not causing him too many problems (apart from the runs)  - but as the vet was happy to report - it could kill us - it is a communicable disease that must be reported (and he has).   We are under a strict hygeine and disinfecting regimen.   I had salmonella poisoning once about 20 years ago   - was bedridden for 4 weeks and showing positive for 2 months  -  I owned a hotel at the time  (but caught it from a chinese meal takeout) - and the environmental health 'police' made our lives unbearable - taking samples of all food and drink - testing everything - luckily they could find no trace of it in the hotel    -  but it was a nightmare.    On the plus side however - he has had this for a couple of weeks already I suspect and we are all ok.

Chicken is another item off his meal list from now on.

Such great news that the mystery is cleared up, and it's nothing incurable! 😁

(After we first got him, my dog went through a biopsy and expensive testing ($$!) for his peeling patchy nose area. But once I tried changing what he ate (to salmon or lamb-based kibble) his nose fur grew back!  And his poop turned from yellow to a normal brown color. Food sensitivities/allergies are more common than I would have thought...)

Archived