Marley vomiting blood

wolfpup

3 hours ago, Luna the husky said:

I can imagine what Marley has been feeling with all those ulcers and acid, hopefully he will be good as new in no time. I have always eaten white bread and milk to deal with my problems along with prescription tablets. I have had it bad for the last 20 years. I remember drinking a bottle of southern comfort one night along with glasses of milk and a packet of rennies, nowadays just the thought of drinking spirits or eating anything spicy has me running to the cupboard.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

SC is the only thing I have drunk for around 25 years -   or even longer   -   I   LOVE   the stuff   (Hic)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s hoping Marley recovers well. I like the sound of your vet, took my cat at 8.30pm and I had to agree the fee before they would book me in, £160! How do they justify it? He was kept in overnight on a drip and only had metacam, collected him around 5 the next day, £236.84. He’s still sick [emoji3525] despite the vet assuring me he was soooo much better and had eaten and was being very vocal and quite lively. He’s back on the bed where he’s been since Sunday, so worrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well,   Marley has only vomited once (yesterday) -  but has the runs dreadfully   -   and being long haired (and white) around his rear end you can imagine the mess his fur is getting in   -  he gets washed four or five times a day.   Also what is coming out of him is absolutely black.

My main problem is trying to get him to eat ANYTHING.   His old dog trainer brought me 5 frozen blocks of bone broth and some fresh kefir grains, and some kefir cheese and a lung (lamb) round on Thursday   and he did have almost a complete block later that day  -  but wont touch it since   either solid or warmed up so its liquid   -   its one of the best things for ulcers.   Yesterday he had about half a slice of white bread  -   half a raw egg   -   then I scrambled the half he wouldnt eat and later in the day he had the other half over a three hour time period  - one small piece at a time.   I tried him on my usual fail safe of sardines in water  -  wouldn't even look at it,  fresh chicken breast  - same thing, fresh salmon  - gave it a disdainful sniff and walked away.   Today I am going to cook some of the chicken breast to see if he will go for that.

20 minutes later ............. I cooked some chicken breast in the microwave and whilst it was cooling down Marley came in the kitchen nose twitching.   I also toasted a crust of white bread, smeared some butter on thinly and took a bite with him watching  -  then tore off a bit and gave it to him  - he ate it  -  I took another small bite then gave him some,  -  he had it all by about 4 small squares   -     I took out the sardines from the fridge he would not eat yesterday and put some on top of the toast  -  he ate the last four squares with some sardines on top  -  then I offered him the bowl with the sardines in  .................... he did not want to know (of course).    I started to cut up the chicken in smaller pieces so it would cool down quickly then offered him a piece  -  he ate it ................. in fact he ate it all !    I am going up to the supermarket soon and getting a couple of chickens to roast.

If you forget about the crust of bread the amount he ate was only small  -  about 1/6th of his normal meal  - but its more than he has had in two days.  I have even microwaved some of the lung he won't eat  - and he had a small piece of that  - only one bit  - but its a start.

I guess I am just going to have to get more creative with his meals   -   and if it means me cooking for him for a month or so  -  so be it  -  its just that being vegetarian  - handling raw meat is bad enough  - but the smell of cooking meat is absolutely vile !   :nooo: 🤢🤢

Have you tried Mackerel? Will he eat yogurt or white rice.

I can only imagine how hard this is with you being a vegetarian. The things we do for our babies.

My boy just got over a week long watery mess of muddy poop. Baby wipes were our best friend. Now when he comes in he shows me his butt so I can tell him good boy and give him treats while I clean him off. 🤮 I made chicken breast in the crockpot. Just water and cooked it for 6 hours. Then white rice and small amounts of plain yogurt. It took 3 days but I see solid poop this morning in their dog run.

Black poop could be from the pepto, pooping out the blood that was just setting in his tummy, other meds.

It’ll take time. You are doing everything you can. 

Thank you for the updates and hope he starts eating on the regular soon.

45 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Have you tried Mackerel? Will he eat yogurt or white rice.

I can only imagine how hard this is with you being a vegetarian. The things we do for our babies.

My boy just got over a week long watery mess of muddy poop. Baby wipes were our best friend. Now when he comes in he shows me his butt so I can tell him good boy and give him treats while I clean him off. 🤮 I made chicken breast in the crockpot. Just water and cooked it for 6 hours. Then white rice and small amounts of plain yogurt. It took 3 days but I see solid poop this morning in their dog run.

Black poop could be from the pepto, pooping out the blood that was just setting in his tummy, other meds.

It’ll take time. You are doing everything you can. 

Thank you for the updates and hope he starts eating on the regular soon.

He likes mackerel  -  but not at the moment - I have it in stock    - which is why I tried the sardines.   He is a fussy little tyke at the best of times.  He likes rice ............. when it is accompanied by a curry  (quorn tikka specifically)  -  or with a quorn mince chilli   (he LOVES chilli - the hotter the better)   -  both of which are off the menu for some time, as is my home made pasta sauce to go with the spag bol (another thing he would always eat).    

I had the back door open all the time the chicken was roasting  - and the kitchen door closed  - but hubby still complained about the "stench".    I was veggie whilst we were running our hotel  -  hubby the main cook but I did things like braised steak, steak & kidney pie, curry, chilli  etc   -  I have never eaten beef even as a child  same with pork.   But we got rid of the hotel around 15/16 years ago so I am not now surrounded by meat all the time  - especially cooking meat.

You can imagine I had two very eager would be assistants when I was stripping the meat off the bones  -   and he had about a handful of warm chicken this afternoon so I am happy   -   I will give him some more just before bed time as he needs something in in stomach overnight.

You could try adding cooked sweet potato mashed up with the chicken, Luka blue was very ill last year and the only thing he’d eat was cooked white fish and mashed sweet potato, I had to do this for every meal for over a week. I hope he gets better soon, it’s a relief when they start eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

18 minutes ago, chelseafan said:

You could try adding cooked sweet potato mashed up with the chicken, Luka blue was very ill last year and the only thing he’d eat was cooked white fish and mashed sweet potato, I had to do this for every meal for over a week. I hope he gets better soon, it’s a relief when they start eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

That sounds so good. I am so cooking that tonight. LOL 😂 

13 hours ago, wolfpup said:

He likes mackerel  -  but not at the moment - I have it in stock    - which is why I tried the sardines.   He is a fussy little tyke at the best of times.  He likes rice ............. when it is accompanied by a curry  (quorn tikka specifically)  -  or with a quorn mince chilli   (he LOVES chilli - the hotter the better)   -  both of which are off the menu for some time, as is my home made pasta sauce to go with the spag bol (another thing he would always eat).    

I had the back door open all the time the chicken was roasting  - and the kitchen door closed  - but hubby still complained about the "stench".    I was veggie whilst we were running our hotel  -  hubby the main cook but I did things like braised steak, steak & kidney pie, curry, chilli  etc   -  I have never eaten beef even as a child  same with pork.   But we got rid of the hotel around 15/16 years ago so I am not now surrounded by meat all the time  - especially cooking meat.

You can imagine I had two very eager would be assistants when I was stripping the meat off the bones  -   and he had about a handful of warm chicken this afternoon so I am happy   -   I will give him some more just before bed time as he needs something in in stomach overnight.

when he is better have you thought about a raw food diet, my shep has food allergies and i swaped to it nearly a year ago now and have not had any problems in fact they all seem to be thriving on it and eargeryly wait for food to be served

3 hours ago, PaulG said:

when he is better have you thought about a raw food diet, my shep has food allergies and i swaped to it nearly a year ago now and have not had any problems in fact they all seem to be thriving on it and eargeryly wait for food to be served

Thanks for the suggestion  but he has been raw fed since he was 12 weeks old  -  he just wont eat it at the moment, the home made stuff mentioned above are once a week treats and only about a tablespoon or two at the most.  -  and with stomach ulcers I am not going to starve him into eating what I think he should eat.     I am trying to find ways of just getting food into him.    Luckily he ate just under half a cooked chicken yesterday in total - and I even managed to get a couple of tablespoons of bone broth into him as well.    Hoping to get the results of blood and fecal sample tests today or tomorrow  to confirm H pylori  (even though that is the last thing I want him to have).  

On 11/4/2018 at 2:00 AM, wolfpup said:

Well,   Marley has only vomited once (yesterday) -  but has the runs dreadfully   -   and being long haired (and white) around his rear end you can imagine the mess his fur is getting in   -  he gets washed four or five times a day.   Also what is coming out of him is absolutely black.

My main problem is trying to get him to eat ANYTHING.   His old dog trainer brought me 5 frozen blocks of bone broth and some fresh kefir grains, and some kefir cheese and a lung (lamb) round on Thursday   and he did have almost a complete block later that day  -  but wont touch it since   either solid or warmed up so its liquid   -   its one of the best things for ulcers.   Yesterday he had about half a slice of white bread  -   half a raw egg   -   then I scrambled the half he wouldnt eat and later in the day he had the other half over a three hour time period  - one small piece at a time.   I tried him on my usual fail safe of sardines in water  -  wouldn't even look at it,  fresh chicken breast  - same thing, fresh salmon  - gave it a disdainful sniff and walked away.   Today I am going to cook some of the chicken breast to see if he will go for that.

20 minutes later ............. I cooked some chicken breast in the microwave and whilst it was cooling down Marley came in the kitchen nose twitching.   I also toasted a crust of white bread, smeared some butter on thinly and took a bite with him watching  -  then tore off a bit and gave it to him  - he ate it  -  I took another small bite then gave him some,  -  he had it all by about 4 small squares   -     I took out the sardines from the fridge he would not eat yesterday and put some on top of the toast  -  he ate the last four squares with some sardines on top  -  then I offered him the bowl with the sardines in  .................... he did not want to know (of course).    I started to cut up the chicken in smaller pieces so it would cool down quickly then offered him a piece  -  he ate it ................. in fact he ate it all !    I am going up to the supermarket soon and getting a couple of chickens to roast.

If you forget about the crust of bread the amount he ate was only small  -  about 1/6th of his normal meal  - but its more than he has had in two days.  I have even microwaved some of the lung he won't eat  - and he had a small piece of that  - only one bit  - but its a start.

I guess I am just going to have to get more creative with his meals   -   and if it means me cooking for him for a month or so  -  so be it  -  its just that being vegetarian  - handling raw meat is bad enough  - but the smell of cooking meat is absolutely vile !   :nooo: 🤢🤢

How’s Marley doing?

2 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

How’s Marley doing?

Thanks for asking.

For the last three days the only thing Marley will eat is raw white fish .................................... and cat food!   He wont look at the cooked chicken, bone broth (warm or solid), sardines, salmon, pork, beef  -  mince or chunks.   Neither will he eat any bread.   Today I hid a small amount of solid bone broth inside half a satchet of cat food in gravy  - he ate it all along with the raw white fish.

However.   He last vomited 2 days ago - and there was no sign of blood.   He is more himself  (read pain in the A$$), nagging constantly for lambs ribs  -  which he will only get once he has had most of his midday meal.    I am struggling to get his tablets into him, really struggling to get him to have his cbd oil   -  resorting to wrestling him into submission and dropping it directly onto his gums.

He doesn't like me very much at the moment   ....................... but I can see improvement.

Uggg.

I am so sorry that you have to go through this.

At least there was no blood in the last vomit.

Did you try the baby food? I did. The boy had 3 days of  explosive plaster butt. In stead of withholding a meal like normal, I feed him lamb and sweet potato to see if it would work. It took a couple of feedings but it worked and he loved it.  

Are you doing liquid CBD? You can put that in a bawl of water or broth or baby food. One less thing to fight with him about.

I can only imagine the pouting he is doing. My male has started doing that when he doesn’t get his way and ignoring me. LOL Even to the point he stops and sets in the middle of the road when HE doesn’t feel his walk is over. 😒

What drama queens. 

I hope the worst is over and he starts eating more.

Thanks for asking.
For the last three days the only thing Marley will eat is raw white fish .................................... and cat food!   He wont look at the cooked chicken, bone broth (warm or solid), sardines, salmon, pork, beef  -  mince or chunks.   Neither will he eat any bread.   Today I hid a small amount of solid bone broth inside half a satchet of cat food in gravy  - he ate it all along with the raw white fish.
However.   He last vomited 2 days ago - and there was no sign of blood.   He is more himself  (read pain in the A$$), nagging constantly for lambs ribs  -  which he will only get once he has had most of his midday meal.    I am struggling to get his tablets into him, really struggling to get him to have his cbd oil   -  resorting to wrestling him into submission and dropping it directly onto his gums.
He doesn't like me very much at the moment   ....................... but I can see improvement.

I’m glad he’s improving, baby steps! Have you tried the fish cooked and wrapping it around his tablets, I had to do it with Luka blue, it was the only thing that worked.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

1 hour ago, chelseafan said:

I’m glad he’s improving, baby steps! Have you tried the fish cooked and wrapping it around his tablets, I had to do it with Luka blue, it was the only thing that worked.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

I am allergic to anything from the sea   -  I use gloves, forks and sissors when I feed anything fishy   -  if I smell cooking fish I am VERY unwell.

Go to the shops look for the Jumbo Thick hot dogs  cut a lump off and make a small hole with the end of a tea spoon handle or point of scissors poke pill in and toss to him after offering a few times  make a game of it here s treat do you want it  pretend to goive take away get him excited then toss to him to catch

should swallow without even chewing

if it works you can freeze the dogs in singles and just thaw one a day for pill giving

13 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Uggg.

I am so sorry that you have to go through this.

At least there was no blood in the last vomit.

Did you try the baby food? I did. The boy had 3 days of  explosive plaster butt. In stead of withholding a meal like normal, I feed him lamb and sweet potato to see if it would work. It took a couple of feedings but it worked and he loved it.  

Are you doing liquid CBD? You can put that in a bawl of water or broth or baby food. One less thing to fight with him about.

I can only imagine the pouting he is doing. My male has started doing that when he doesn’t get his way and ignoring me. LOL Even to the point he stops and sets in the middle of the road when HE doesn’t feel his walk is over. 😒

What drama queens. 

I hope the worst is over and he starts eating more.

He has not had the runs for two days now - thankfully - and he again has a fluffy white butt  -  YEA!

Cannot put the cbd in water   1.  he wont drink it   2.  Lunar would!   Can't get him to eat the bone broth anyway   -  and he did not like the baby food I chose.     I am off to the 'dog shop' now to see if they have any ideas   (raw food supplier that is).

Why is it that he wont eat the healthy, good quality food I spend a fortune on  -  but will happily eat the crappy cat food satchets?

I wonder if it’s the smell? My cat has been very sick and didn’t eat or drink, vet diagnosed URTI. Tried all his favourites, nothing tempted him, not even sardines. What finally did was a very smelly cat food in tins that I buy online, it’s very high meat/fish content. So, maybe have you tried tripe? Raw tripe totally reeks but it is quite gentle on the gut?

I really really hope he’s on the mend, I struggle to cope when pets are ill because it’s such a guessing game, give me an injury any day, at least you know what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, wolfpup said:

He has not had the runs for two days now - thankfully - and he again has a fluffy white butt  -  YEA!

Cannot put the cbd in water   1.  he wont drink it   2.  Lunar would!   Can't get him to eat the bone broth anyway   -  and he did not like the baby food I chose.     I am off to the 'dog shop' now to see if they have any ideas   (raw food supplier that is).

Why is it that he wont eat the healthy, good quality food I spend a fortune on  -  but will happily eat the crappy cat food satchets?

Hahha 

they are like kids. Buy a cool toy and they just play with the box. LOL

Just to make us fuss over them more...

I am getting worried about him again.

Marley last ate 34 hours ago  -  this morning when he was out for a walk he did a sloppy poo  -  and its turned black again.     Yesterday he was fine in himself   -   had been back to his normal self - but the antibiotics finished on Tuesday, and Tuesday and  Wednesday during the day he was totally back to his old self (driving us mad)  but got quieter on Wednesday evening, not wanting his treats at bedtime.      Would not eat anything - even the cat food today, no treats, nothing.      He has only drunk twice.   He has been outside most of the day  -  have not been able to get him to come inside.     Finally got him in around 6pm -  but he went by the front door and stayed there.     I checked on him around 8pm and he was alseep  - but checked again around 20 mins ago and he was still asleep  -  but I could not wake him up   - normally he wakes if I am within 10 feet of him.   I had to shake him quite hard before he came round properly.

I did get them both outside for a pee   -  but he just laid down outside  and its taken me 10 mins to get him to get up and follow me back in   -  he was walking very slowly  but came over to sit by me at the computer and is apparently asleep again.    He is booked into the vet at 8.50am tomorrow.

I am staying up tonight to keep an eye on him

Archived