Marley vomiting blood

wolfpup

Ever since I had  Marley he has been a finiky eater  -  and every so often would not eat at all   -  then would bring up bright yellow bile  (LOTS)  and then an hour later would happily eat again.   This happened around every 10 days to 2 weeks.     Yesterday he was going through one of these days  -  not interested in even a treat.   About 8pm he went out and I saw him eating grass  so knew he would be sick within a hour or so   -  at 9.15 I heard him wretching in the hallway  -  tried to get him outside - he vomited up the grass in the kitchen - but there was no bile this time  -  I got him outside then started to fill up some jugs of water in order to rinse the side of the house down.

I went out a couple of minutes later  -  and found one small pool of bile and chucked a jug of water at it  -  as I went closer I noticed what appeared to be a bright red round ' large plastic tin lid'  -  I chucked some water at it and it did not move  - so went to pick it up with my hand  -  then I realized it was blood  -  but was 'set' in some sort of thick mucus  -  I then noticed another smaller amount.   This also was in a thick slime of some sort.    I then went in and got a plastic bag and got most of it up in order to take to the vet.    I rang for an emergency vet  -  and was put onto a recorded message telling me that I would be charged £94 once the vet picked up the phone, then a 'further charge afterwards' depending on the diagnosis.    I put the phone down!

Marley seemed his usual self and even had a little to eat  -  I stayed up until around 2am to ensure nothing else was going to come  up.

Got him to the vet at 10am this morning  -  with the plastic bag of still bright red blood  (the part that was inside the mucous was still bright red  the rest had turned darker).   Providing there are no other occurances beforehand he is booked in next Friday 9am for an endoscopy,   on Monday and Tuesday I have to take fecal samples in for testing.    They are going to be doing a barrage of tests from bacterial,viral, ulcers, narrowed passage leading from the stomach and loads more I cannot remember etc.   If there is another occurrance I am to take him in as an emergency.

She took three attempts before Marley would accept the  antibiotic injection   -  he was a real 'whoos'   -  then she took two attempts at trying to syringe  in some revolting-looking brown paste  - called  Promax  -  and when he spat it out she resorted to wiping it off the floor with her finger and smearing it on his nose.     I have to do this for the next few days as well  -  lucky me!    My biggest problem though is getting a horse sized pill into him three times a day!    

So far today he seems ok   -  he has had half his dinner  -  and I am not too bothered about him missing a meal or two   -  6 months ago he weighed 22 kilos and had been stable at that for 12 months   -  today he was just over 27 kilos!   He has his 3rd birthday in 2 days.

I will of course keep you updated   -   keep your fingers crossed for my baby boy & soul mate that it is nothing too serious.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please keep us posted. Poor baby.

As someone that has been in and out of the emergency vet office, I completely understand. 

My boy was throwing up blood for three days one time. Luckily the vets knew me well enough to believe me and test for what I thought was going on so the bill wasn’t too bad. He was “coughing” up blood. Had  pneumonia.

But to just walk in the door is $95 each X-ray runs $150, fluids $56, and then what ever they tack on.

Sometimes I can walk out a little under $300. But the largest bill for my pups was about $800. 

(I paid $7,000.00 for my cat’s heart surgery a year ago LOL)

530D9A5D-4134-4EB0-A588-838F74A1A53B.thumb.jpeg.6d4fb61ab74aceaf56819bbdf1515624.jpeg1560908C-7DEB-48D2-850F-626469C8AA4A.thumb.jpeg.6b0d611120c21b0279896a569072ae66.jpeg

Everyone thought I was crazy. But they are my babies and they depend on us to keep them happy and safe. 

Thanks guys.  I know what you mean 2HF  -  Marley is the first dog I have ever gotten insurance for - and I have so far paid £133.94 for Lunar's medication since 17.9.18   - and will be doing so for the rest of his life.  Today cost me £95  - but it should be all I pay now until it is resolved no matter what else they do   (the endoscopy alone will run to around £250 plus all the other tests)  so I am really glad I decided to insure him last July.    He is a little subdued now he is back home - and wants to just sit outside (its a beautiful sunny day here with a light breeze).  However he has not been sick again  and has even had a lamb's rib.

My normal vet is back on Monday after a 3 week holiday so at least I know he will be the one doing the endoscope etc.

Update.

Had a call from the vets this morning  -  they have brought Marleys endoscopy etc forward to Wednesday and have said if they get a cancellation on Monday for Tuesday he will be brought forward again.     Can't fault them on getting him seen to as soon as they can   -    both their senior vets are currently away but back on Monday  and it is the owner and top vet who Marley is booked in with evidently.

One other thing  -  on reading through the terms and conditions of Marley's insurance policy  -  I evidently have 24 hour access to a vet via the policy  -  totally free of charge   -  so if another emergency arises I can ring that number instead of the exorbitant rates of the 'normal' emergency vets.   Without realizing it I have evidently picked a good policy !

2 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Update.

Had a call from the vets this morning  -  they have brought Marleys endoscopy etc forward to Wednesday and have said if they get a cancellation on Monday for Tuesday he will be brought forward again.     Can't fault them on getting him seen to as soon as they can   -    both their senior vets are currently away but back on Monday  and it is the owner and top vet who Marley is booked in with evidently.

One other thing  -  on reading through the terms and conditions of Marley's insurance policy  -  I evidently have 24 hour access to a vet via the policy  -  totally free of charge   -  so if another emergency arises I can ring that number instead of the exorbitant rates of the 'normal' emergency vets.   Without realizing it I have evidently picked a good policy !

Hope he is ok.  who does your insurance others may wish to know

Hopefully they get you in on Monday. I am hoping it turns out nothing major. 🤞

I have insurance. Best investment I have ever made. 

For my two. $72 a month total. $500  deductible on each. Can see any vet or use any emergency service anytime. But we pay 100% up front and get 80% refunded. There was a 6 month holding period.

There are a tone of different insurances out there. We use Embrace. They have a couple of different plans. I selected the mid one. There is one that has a higher monthly fee but will cover 100% of everything.

1 hour ago, PaulG said:

Hope he is ok.  who does your insurance others may wish to know

It is Direct Line   I chose the middle option   £13.50 a month   for up to £4,000 of cover for each condition  and 24/7  telephone access to emergency vet.    I paid the £95 'my contribution' fee  and now the vets charge the company  I don't pay anything else.

Oh no. I sure hope MARLEY will be ok.
Could he have swallowed a rock or something irritating his esophagus??
Also, last year, I know the doggy flu was going around...viral infection, etc. I don't know if that's going around now.
Hopefully your Vet will do x-rays as well.
I'm praying deeply for your beautiful MARLEY.
[emoji191][emoji120][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

1 hour ago, Rachael_Astro said:

I hope Marley is ok! That’s a really good deal you have there with direct line, I pay £25 a month with Pet Plan

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

He was 2 years & 8 months old when I took it out  -  I know the price will increase as he gets older  -   But with this episode I believe I will have the next two years 'free'  by the time the final bill comes in, as I cannot see the final bill coming in much under £350.    Knowing Marley it wont be the last time either !

On 10/30/2018 at 12:29 AM, 2Huskyfun said:

Did the doc tell you what is (or might be) causing it or do you have to wait until after the surgery?

Please keep us posted.

He went in this morning  -  and I've just received a phone call saying that he had come round from the anaesthetic  - so I said "So I can pick him up then"  -  only to be told no.   The vet wants to see me and talk about Marley - the first available appointment is 4.20pm -  she would not say any more.    Now I am worrying !

He went in this morning  -  and I've just received a phone call saying that he had come round from the anaesthetic  - so I said "So I can pick him up then"  -  only to be told no.   The vet wants to see me and talk about Marley - the first available appointment is 4.20pm -  she would not say any more.    Now I am worrying !

Keep us posted, it’s such a worry when they won’t say anything :(

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

JUST got back in guys.   I was in with the vet for half an hour.     Marley has a hiatus hernia  -   and around 100 ulcers !!!  All of them bleeding.    The hernia is not severe enough for surgery  - yet   -  and the ulcers are all about a pin head size  -  so very small  -  but they are all bleeding all the time.    I have three lots of medication to give him, and also been told to hunt down some Pepto Bismol Tablets  (specifically not the liquid)   -    and not to tell anyone at the pharmacy they are for a dog.

I also have to get some white bread   -  evidently it is better as soaking up stomach acid and bile than brown or wholemeal.    I have to give him half a slice around every hour.   So far the endoscope cost amounts to £199   the medication will be on top   -  and the vet actually suggested looking to see if it would be better to get a private prescription as it may work out cheaper   ....................... so I said will not the insurance cover it then?    He thinks it is possible  (he did not know Marley is insured  -  he's used to Lunar and the cats medication being paid by me).

Marley is again not eating  -  and I have to get the tablets down him  -  mind you I bet he is sore from the endoscopy  -  he's been drinking solidily since he came home.

That is good, no surgery at least for now. Hopefully won’t have to.

The bread (white) will really help. I would give that to mine if they ate a cooked bone or had an upset tummy. Mine loved it. I would give them like half a loaf at a time. LOL

I have been told to use  Pepto-Bismol before and the it HAS to be the tablets. I think the  liquid has too much metal. I am  allergic to it and can’t even smell it or else I get sick. So I have never used it.

I wonder if CBD supplements would help.

42 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

That is good, no surgery at least for now. Hopefully won’t have to.

The bread (white) will really help. I would give that to mine if they ate a cooked bone or had an upset tummy. Mine loved it. I would give them like half a loaf at a time. LOL

I have been told to use  Pepto-Bismol before and the it HAS to be the tablets. I think the  liquid has too much metal. I am  allergic to it and can’t even smell it or else I get sick. So I have never used it.

I wonder if CBD supplements would help.

Yes,  the vet said the liquid is the most foul smelling and  most foul tasting thing on the planet  -  that's why he said the tablets only.   Marley is on cbd oil for his epilepsy  -  not prescription drugs   -  I've taken him from 4 seizures in 12 days  3  in 2 days  to   67 days, 39 days and the last was 108 days  -  but at the moment he has been without cbd for 3 days and cannot get him to take anything other than a raw egg and a slice of white bread smothered in butter and  Seriuously Strong Cheese  ( no crusts)  -  at least he has had something to eat today.

I would be happy with that.

Doesn’t matter what it is as long as something is going down.

When my girl stopped eating, I made chicken noodle soup, (from scratch) raw slabs of meat 🍖,  (anything the butcher had left over), Mash potatoes, and white rice.

Poor baby. So heartbreaking when they don’t feel well.

I hope this passes soon.

4 hours ago, chelseafan said:

I hope Marley feels better soon, for a quick meal you could try the chicken baby dinner, no preservatives and easy on his digestive system.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Chicken baby dinner????   who makes it?    my baby is 48 years old so I am a little out of practice   😉

I can imagine what Marley has been feeling with all those ulcers and acid, hopefully he will be good as new in no time. I have always eaten white bread and milk to deal with my problems along with prescription tablets. I have had it bad for the last 20 years. I remember drinking a bottle of southern comfort one night along with glasses of milk and a packet of rennies, nowadays just the thought of drinking spirits or eating anything spicy has me running to the cupboard.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived