Why do huskies howl at night

Onceuponadime

If its a full moon or cold weather is coming my boy sits and howls at the moon. I was wondering why he does this. I caught him the other night. I live in a rural area which is probably a good thing. He does not go on for hours so it's not boredom and I have other dogs. He does not sleep outside. I just wondered why he does it. 

Other than because it’s a natural instinct, I’m not too sure. I know they can howl to signal to their pack or warn off other packs but with Ice, he only howls when he is asleep. Wakes me up in the night and scares the pants off of me [emoji23]. No idea why he does that but he wakes up the whole household!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

15 hours ago, DesertHusky said:

Mine only howl when they’re in trouble and get scolded, or you ask them to do something they don’t want to do. :)

Yes!  Mine too!  Anytime Floki is being told to do something he doesn't want to, he howls his fool head off, lol!

My two howl all the time. At first it started as a morning thing which my neighbors (clam) they don't mind. However, it is all the time now. I did find out by one of my neighbors,  that there are two other Huskies (I think Malamutes) in the neighborhood and they are always loose. I have never seen them. She said that they have been hanging around outside my house lately. Maybe that is what is setting mine off. I will have to get my cameras turned back on.

Archived