Dry Skin

2Huskyfun

So my pups have been itching really really bad for the past 6 weeks.

Took them to the vet. LOL No medical reason why. No hot spots (yet), no allergies.

I was thinking of smearing 100% coconut oil on them for 10/15 minutes and then rinsing it out.

Never had a dog with this issue. It is very dry and we go from 76 to 32 in 24 hours.

Do you guys think this will work? Any suggestions would be great. 

I have started them on salmon oil but may that take awhile. 

You could also try 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water and use a spray bottle to apply, I give mine fresh salmon, helps give a nice shine to their fur aswell. Have you changed their food by any chance? Could be an allergy to something they’re eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Been doing 50/50 apple cider. They love the taste. LOL Doesn't work. 😔 Probably keeping them from an infection.

No food change. 

Started right after Theia was spayed, cleaned my carpets around the same time, tried bathing them, ummm I have no idea...

vet test done. No allergies food or other wise.🤔

With all the itching, they could have fleas. Even though it's fall, fleas still hatch out in bunches no matter what time of year it is. It also could be caused by grass/mud/grounf fungus. It could just be mild allergies from pretty much anything.
Have you tried Benadryl?? For a dog's weight, don't go over the milligrams of a dog's weight per day. (50lbs would be no more than 50mgs of Benadryl per day.)
I hope you can find out what's going on with them.
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

We are so dry here we don't have fleas and I haven't taken them up the hill yet. They do roll in the grass a lot when we come home from walks. 🤔

The vet did every test under the sun. Nothing. LOL She told me about  Benadryl and gave me the dosage. I just hate having to give them more meds.... I just may have to breakdown and give it to them.

I am so surprised they are not covered in hot spots. But their skin is not even red. 🤔

I just want to soak them in something. My poor babies just itch like crazy non stop.

I’m running out of suggestions [emoji848] you could try bathing with an oatmeal shampoo and you could add a little olive oil to their food and you can apply coconut oil directly onto their skin as well as adding to their food. Hope you find a solution [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Could they be having a reaction to carpet cleaning chemicals? The only way to test would be to get them away from the carpets and see if itching subsides...( I think it would not be instant, it will take a few days for the reaction to calm down...)

but if you have cleaned your carpets before, and they were fine, that blows that theory!

maybe just have to moisturize their skin then, like you mentioned...

Can you let us know what it is you are feeding your dogs?   Food sensitivities can build up over time.      I would add coconut oil to your pups feed  (how many and how old are they).

I have two zipped Dogs Naturally magazines that will not load as they are too big  even zipped  (both over 100mb)   -    each took around 15 mins to load up - then failed at the last second  -  if anyone can think of a way I can get them up on the site I will happily send them again.   I even tried zipping them together  -  which did reduce it further but that came to around 165mb for both files

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/10-steps-to-manage-dog-skin-conditions/

Does+Your+Dog+Really+Have+Allergies-DNM2.pdf

July2012.zip

Hi wolfpup,
If you have a dropbox or some other similar "cloud" file-sharing service, you could upload the files to there, and paste the links to the dropbox files into your post...

but also it may not be legal to just send people zipped files of entire magazines (is there a copyright violation)...?

On 10/21/2018 at 2:45 PM, chelseafan said:

I’m running out of suggestions emoji848.png you could try bathing with an oatmeal shampoo and you could add a little olive oil to their food and you can apply coconut oil directly onto their skin as well as adding to their food. Hope you find a solution emoji1.png

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

That's what I was thinking of doing. I might try that this weekend. 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, Shepsky5 said:

Could they be having a reaction to carpet cleaning chemicals? The only way to test would be to get them away from the carpets and see if itching subsides...( I think it would not be instant, it will take a few days for the reaction to calm down...)

but if you have cleaned your carpets before, and they were fine, that blows that theory!

maybe just have to moisturize their skin then, like you mentioned...

I never cleaned them before. So, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't clean the master bedroom carpets so I am hoping it wont take long to be able to tell if that was it or not.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, wolfpup said:

Can you let us know what it is you are feeding your dogs?   Food sensitivities can build up over time.      I would add coconut oil to your pups feed  (how many and how old are they).

I have two zipped Dogs Naturally magazines that will not load as they are too big  even zipped  (both over 100mb)   -    each took around 15 mins to load up - then failed at the last second  -  if anyone can think of a way I can get them up on the site I will happily send them again.   I even tried zipping them together  -  which did reduce it further but that came to around 165mb for both files

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/10-steps-to-manage-dog-skin-conditions/

Does+Your+Dog+Really+Have+Allergies-DNM2.pdf

July2012.zip

I am feeding Blue Diamond Limited Ingredients for large breed. It was the only food that I could get them to have a solid stool on because they are sooo sensitive. I am not able to even give them treats, I use their dog food as treats. Luckily they are highly food motivated. LOL . The vet said she doesn't think it is the food. But they could have picked or pick anything up on their walks. I have started to even not let them play (roll) in grass for awhile to see if maybe that was it.

Sorry for the late responses and thank you guys so much for the suggestions.

My phone completed died and I had to get a new one. Plus, I am going to try to keep this site and some of my other stuff on my home PC. Never realized how much I was on my phone.... Withdrawals.... LOL

On 10/22/2018 at 10:01 PM, Shepsky5 said:

Hi wolfpup,
If you have a dropbox or some other similar "cloud" file-sharing service, you could upload the files to there, and paste the links to the dropbox files into your post...

but also it may not be legal to just send people zipped files of entire magazines (is there a copyright violation)...?

I am not sure   -  I bought the electronic magazines   -    if it was a paper magazine I could not be in trouble for sharing it.   Unfortunately I don't do the 'cloud'.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:03 PM, 2Huskyfun said:

That's what I was thinking of doing. I might try that this weekend. 

I never cleaned them before. So, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't clean the master bedroom carpets so I am hoping it wont take long to be able to tell if that was it or not.

I am feeding Blue Diamond Limited Ingredients for large breed. It was the only food that I could get them to have a solid stool on because they are sooo sensitive. I am not able to even give them treats, I use their dog food as treats. Luckily they are highly food motivated. LOL . The vet said she doesn't think it is the food. But they could have picked or pick anything up on their walks. I have started to even not let them play (roll) in grass for awhile to see if maybe that was it.

Sorry for the late responses and thank you guys so much for the suggestions.

My phone completed died and I had to get a new one. Plus, I am going to try to keep this site and some of my other stuff on my home PC. Never realized how much I was on my phone.... Withdrawals.... LOL

Have you thought of switching to completely raw food?   For the first three years of his life Lunar had the runs   -  badly   -  I tried every single type of food on the market at that time - including some wretchedly awful 'vet provided medical food' stuff.     The vet even told me he would not make 'old bones'.   It took me several attempts but I finally got him onto plain raw food  -   within days the runs had gone, skin conditions (mainly itchy)  the red lines above his kidneys  (from saliva - licking) had cleared in two weeks.     He is now 13  - we thought he would not reach 6.

I was looking into it. Getting everything measured is a concern.

I had my big girl on a raw before she passed. But these guys are sooo  sensitive, especially the male.

Even now we have been up all night with  diarrhea and vomiting with him because we tried a new chewy. 😩

I’ll see if I can find a site for the  nutrition measurements.

I switched to raw when they were 4 months old, they were on a grain free kibble first and they would have diarrhoea on a weekly basis since I’ve raw fed them, hardly ever have issues, lamb is great for firming up their stools. It’s easier than you think, I think it’s measuring it out that puts people off switching to raw, now at every meal time they get excited, they didn’t when they had kibble. You could introduce raw for the last meal, some do a mix of kibble for breakfast and raw for the evening meal. I think there’s more choice and variety with raw and my 2 don’t have issues with their skin or health in general and their coats are shiny. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

I was looking into it. Getting everything measured is a concern.

I had my big girl on a raw before she passed. But these guys are sooo  sensitive, especially the male.

Even now we have been up all night with  diarrhea and vomiting with him because we tried a new chewy. 😩

I’ll see if I can find a site for the  nutrition measurements.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/starting-puppy-on-raw-diet/

https://www.carnivora.ca/html/carnivora-dogs/Puppy-Nutrition/index.cfm

See if these help

Archived