PC versus Mac crowd

Marc

Determined to see if Im the only mac user on here. So come on guys, are you a mac user or a PC user?

I guess Im kinda both. I have a mac, but I also use windows on it as I develop windows applications LOL. Unless I'm developing though, I tend to stay off it. Windows just drives me crazy these days.

• Like 1

I used to be a PC guy, but around 2013 I got my first iPhone. Then a couple years later I got a MacBook Air. So now I have all Mac products, iPhone X, Apple Watch and the MacBook Air. There was a small learning curve but I like them so much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I do graphic design and was on a PC for many years because my dad gave me a PC for free when I started my business. It was fine...most of my clients were on PC. This year, changed to a Mac because I wanted to be able to sync my iPhone, and more and more clients were switching to Mac as well. My big white/silver 27” Mac sure does look pretty in my office.

To my surprise and relief, Adobe photoshop/illustrator/indesign feel and run exactly the same...it is like I never changed! 

The system stuff has been harder! Command and Alt buttons in different places, that is hard to relearn...

my favorite thing: on Pc, I was constantly fending off viruses, and updating my virus software. but that does not seem to be such a issue with Mac users?. 😀

least fave thing: PCs have more bang for the buck...more RAM, faster processing speed, better video card, for the same price...

• Like 1

PC. I know where I’m at with it and Apple products tend to have you by the short and curlies. once you buy a product you are tied up with their limitations. Apple products are great and I’m writing this from an iPhone but I really don’t like the way you’re trapped in an apple bubble. They have way too much control for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Like 2

Windows PC and laptops, Android phone. I won an iPad 2018 model from a prize draw (apparently prize draws are real! Haha!) and have been using it for a bit, but didn't think it was that special and different from an Android tablet I tried. Like @Emma, I didn't want to be trapped. My boss uses Apple and struggles to get anything out!

• Like 1

I was always against apple for several reasons did not like safari, mail, word, excel etc etc... now running everything on apple, even good old microsoft products like office including outlook and everything there is even google chrome for apple...so trapped no do not feel like that what so ever...

• Like 1

The problem with some people and macs is that they try to do what they were doing on a windows PC. Its not a windows PC, its a mac. Its like getting into an automatic car and trying to find the gear lever. The whole idea behind using a mac is to log in and just use it, rather than trying to tinker with it. If you just get used to the way it works rather than trying to change it (which is what most peoples instinct is to do when moving from windows) then it's actually a lot easier to use than windows. It doesnt break as often, it doesnt slow down in the same manner, its not as susceptible to viruses and malware (purely as they will tend to target the larger amount of people, and thats windows). 

Would love to know about these ''limitations" and "trapped" things to be honest, as Im not sure where they come from. Are they actual problems you have seen yourself, or just perceptions? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Luna the husky said:

Gaming laptopemoji16.png I used it for playing World of Warcraft for ten years, then they ruined the game🤬 don’t even think I’ve seen a MAC in “real life”

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I tried that game, and could never get into it (not that I game anyway to be honest). Gaming is certainly one thing that macs are not good at.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:09 PM, Marc said:

The problem with some people and macs is that they try to do what they were doing on a windows PC. Its not a windows PC, its a mac. Its like getting into an automatic car and trying to find the gear lever. The whole idea behind using a mac is to log in and just use it, rather than trying to tinker with it. If you just get used to the way it works rather than trying to change it (which is what most peoples instinct is to do when moving from windows) then it's actually a lot easier to use than windows. It doesnt break as often, it doesnt slow down in the same manner, its not as susceptible to viruses and malware (purely as they will tend to target the larger amount of people, and thats windows). 

Would love to know about these ''limitations" and "trapped" things to be honest, as Im not sure where they come from. Are they actual problems you have seen yourself, or just perceptions? 

Agreed about the tinkering part. I like to build my own gaming computer so I have a PC, although it has been quite a few years since I last upgraded anything because I just don't have time to play games any more... A lot of Apple fans like to use words like "easy to use" or "intuitive", but at my tech level (I'm in health IT) and at this stage in my life they are all pretty easy for me.

The "trapped" thing is my boss's complaints, paraphrased. He's been complaining for years about his photos and music but never switched away from Apple. I never bothered to ask how he's trying to get his photos and music out and how it's not working for him; he mentioned something along the lines of Apple deleting his files or some such. Could just be him, though. But he's most definitely struggling with Mac Mail. It refuses to use a lot of outgoing servers and deletes his emails randomly. They're important work emails too.

The major thing I don't like, though, is a different cable for each new version of a product (I think?). That is just ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Vickie said:

Agreed about the tinkering part. I like to build my own gaming computer so I have a PC, although it has been quite a few years since I last upgraded anything because I just don't have time to play games any more... A lot of Apple fans like to use words like "easy to use" or "intuitive", but at my tech level (I'm in health IT) and at this stage in my life they are all pretty easy for me.

Same here. I'm a software developer. However in the same respect I also use the phrase intuitive. It's not so much about not having the ability to find out how to do something on a computer, but more about not wanting to. I don't want to make my PC faster, or switch the way in which I view explorer, change the theme for my taskbar, install x product to do y. I want to use my computer for what I switched the damn thing on for. So if I want to take a screenshot, add an annotation to it with an arrow pointing something out, then want to send it to someone over email, I want to just go ahead and do that from one place. I really dont want to open snipping tool, take a screenshot from there instead, anotate and add my arrow, then save it somewhere, then open my email, then start a new email, then attach the item, then send it. (windows). What I actually want to do is press a couple of buttons on my keyboard, select the area I want to screenshot, add the anotation and arrow in the window it just helpfully opened for me, then click share to email, add an email address, and go. (mac). Thats just one really simple example.

The "trapped" thing is my boss's complaints, paraphrased. He's been complaining for years about his photos and music but never switched away from Apple. I never bothered to ask how he's trying to get his photos and music out and how it's not working for him; he mentioned something along the lines of Apple deleting his files or some such. Could just be him, though.

The only thing this could be is if he is using itunes. If thats the case, he just gets a windows PC, installs itunes, and all his music is there. With regards photos, that would happen regardless of what machine he is using. He would have to move them over to the windows machine.

But he's most definitely struggling with Mac Mail. It refuses to use a lot of outgoing servers and deletes his emails randomly. They're important work emails too.

This I agree with. Mac mail is shit. However not in comparison to windows mail. If its for business use, he is much better using gsuite (googlemail for business) or outlook 365. For a client on his machine, he is best using outlook. I use outlook myself on the mac. Email really is one of those where you get what you pay for. Mail is a free program preinstalled on macs, and is really intended for personal use IMO, not business use.

The major thing I don't like, though, is a different cable for each new version of a product (I think?). That is just ridiculous.

It's that ridiculous, it's false LOL. Actually apple devices has changed cables less than most other devices. iPhones for example went from a large proprietary socket to a smaller one, to then using USB. Android devices for example went from a different socket depending on device, to all using mini USB, to then all using micro USB, to now all coming out with USB C. When people go on about cables, what they are actually talking about is the fact that they use a different connection to android devices, which is true. 

• Like 1

Ah, the good old Apple vs PC debate. My background is computers (PCs and minis) with a heavy emphasis on interconnectivity. Well remember the days when Apple actually did produce something better, namely graphics but it didn't last long and they nearly went bust. But they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, spent heaps of money on marketing and maintained their tight grip on their closed system. Have to say that I'm impressed by their whole strategy which has got them where they are today: massive marketing budget, tight control on sytems, manufacture cheaply but sell expensively (see tight control) and avoid paying any tax ("All totally legal"). Even know a couple of people who work for them, though they're not allowed to admit it or discuss anything (see tight control). So, no, won't go near Apple products as I want the maximum out of my PCs: cost effectiveness, longevity, expansion, flexibility but above all just a tad more ethical - oh, and I loathe iTunes and Safari (I try them every now and then but their resource hogs with all kind of additional unrequired, unrequested baggage). All I need is just something to edit and maintain my 1m+ photos, edit videos, play my music, watch the occasional film, accounts, print/communicate with old systems/printers/screens, etc - and openness gives it all to me, concurrently 😀

Its funny, as some of the reasons you state there are actually the reasons I use a mac. Cost effectiveness for starters. My iMac costs less than I would have spent on a PC. I would have added things to a PC, and it would have been replaced within a couple of years. With the iMac I have now, its 3 years old and I 'may' replace it next year. On top of that, I've actually challenged people before now to build a PC from decent components with the same spec, for the same price. More often than not, they cant. I appreciate the iMac is however unique in that. For the most parts macs are indeed more expensive. Longevity I have just covered. Expansion is actually another reason I prefer it. I dont want to be messing with my computer. I want to switch it on, and for it to work. Nothing more, nothing less. Can fully appreciate that if you do want to mess with them, then a mac ain't for you.

itunes sucks. I use spotify. Incidentally so does the microsoft equivalent (hold up, there isnt one)
Safari also sucks, I use Chrome. Incidentally however, so does edge.

All I need is just something to edit and maintain my 1m+ photos, edit videos, play my music, watch the occasional film, accounts, print/communicate with old systems/printers/screens, etc

Which of these do you think you cant do with a mac? LOL

If you think Microsoft is more ethical by the way, that is plain false. Most large organisations are the same in that respect. Microsoft sell software, and its also ridiculously expensive. The tax side of it,  they actually do exactly the same as apple (in fact they both tax out of ireland to avoid UK taxation). The way of the world unfortunately.

Always going to be a good debate. Personally, I'm one of the very few people who are happy to use either. I'm a mac user, and a microsoft developer. Go figure LOL

• 8 months later...
Friends tell me how to save data correctly and more efficiently? The fact is that I want to replace an old hard drive, that has dozens of programs, systems settings and so on, with a new drive. Here I found software that should help me. What advise you guys? What program can be used safely and most effectively?

Many options...depending on how much data you have and how secure it has to be...
- You can buy some inexpensive thumbdrives (they have immense memory these days!), plug it into your computer's USB, and copy your data onto there
- You can get an external hard drive, connect to your computer, and copy everything over onto there
- You can back up into the cloud (such as Dropbox / Google Drive)

Not sure about settings/programs. You may need to reinstall programs or redo settings...?
When I change computers, I typically just copy all the data over to the new computer, but for my applications/printer driver/system settings, I have to redo all that.

• 3 weeks later...

Some time of use ago, my PC started to freeze very often. I tried various methods that are described on the Internet: I tried to clean the dust inside the system unit, scanned for viruses and other methods which are so popular on forums. After all of this I decided to test my PC with using the Driver Booster. This small utility quickly identified the real cause of system freezes - I had outdated drivers for most part of components. After the update, the computer again working as new. Now I regularly do a system scan with DB for outdated drivers.

• 9 months later...

some days back my computer started working slowly and then i started testing my pc with one of the best tool to update all the driver. Slowing down the speed of pc is cause due to the issue like un-updated driver and other pc problem. Check the Driver booster program  which is best for your pc.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...