Dog Shoe Debacle

Ceoverton

TLDR:  Shoes arent working, running without hurts feet, what do we do?

Hi, my 2 year old husky, Loki, and I have been working on running with a bicycle since I got him in July. We started with little half mile jaunts and now are increasing to the 5-10 mile range. He loves to run/pull the bicycle. He used to run beside me until he broke the bicycle leash pulling too hard on it lol. So currently he runs on a regular leash in front of me and off to the side a little, which allows me to monitor him more closely. We are working on learning commands etc on our local bike path and coming along nicely. The problem we are having is that if we run bare footed (Musher's secret) his nails file down to the quick and bleed. If we wear shoes (CE Canine Experience brand) his foot rolls over when he runs so we have to take them off not too long after we begin. I wondered if he was pushing too hard to keep up, so I have been exclusively coasting for the last few weeks and the problems remain. His shoes were sized at the pet store, though I am not ruling out that they could be on the big side. Loki always is excited for the bike and generally returns to home with plenty of energy after a ride, doing yard laps after we are done followed by a quick nap. I want him to be able to have a good and safe biking experience. Any and all suggestions are strongly encouraged and greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

20181012.jpg

That is a great question. 

Sorry that I have no ideas but to suggest cleaning his paws and using bagbalm. LOL

We have just started Xback harness training for my pups. We still are working on  light walks. But even with that I have noticed their paws crack a little. So I have been wondering about boots and if they are worth it. My vet has told me (over and over) not to start conditioning training (running) until 8 months (which is this month) and absolutely no pulling until 12 to even 14 months. 

So if we do boots I was going to start getting them used to it now.

This is a great topic!

Archived