Biking and Chasing Dogs

TeamYuki

Hi everyone!

I've been a quiet member here for awhile, but I'm currently wrestling with a problem that I can't figure out how to correct and was hoping some of you on here may have some insight.

My husky, as well as everyone else's, loves to run. I don't have the stamina she does, so I occasionally take her for bike rides, which she begs for almost every day. I've recently graduated her from our quiet street to a busier park or railroad trail. One problem I'm coming up with is that when she sees another dog on the trail while running, she will make a bee line towards that other dog. This is unsafe for a multitude of reasons and I need her to continue to run and ignore the other dog as if it wasn't there. 

However, since my lead is not connected to me in anyway (it's latched onto my bike), I can't easily correct the unwanted behavior. 

She does this while walking too, but when walking, I can hold her closer to me and put myself in between her and the other dog as we continue to walk by with no problem; she isn't aggressive, she just wants to say hi and play. 

My guess is that I need to establish some sort of verbal command or correct some behavior while walking with her and then graduate to the bike, but like I mentioned earlier, I jsut don't know where to start or what the right approach is. Can anyone shed some light onto this? Thanks!

biking yuki.PNG

as you say start the command when walking, you can use any word for this command that you like really  whatever sticks in your mind to use with this behaviour ... so when you do this when you are walking you use the command, i use ignore, and once she does that with a lose hanging lead or moves on without doing what she is doing prior then use it on the bike... try not to tug the line or get in between (after a few times) because that would be difficult on the bike...when she does it lots of praise etc this is not a command for treats as an award LOLOL

We use "On by" for ignore and walk on by. "Leave" if they've got something or they ignored the "On by" (to be fair, very rare these days). All 6 know but the 5 Huskies might just choose to not bother (well, they are Huskies!) whilst the German always does as asked 😀

Archived