Patricia Flores

Hello I have a 9 week old husky, she will be not be sled dog. My question is do I need to have her wear a harness or is a regular collar ok? She will be shots this week, and training classes next week...  I am so excited to be a husky owner and want a well behaved dog.. Thanks for all input... 

I put mine on a harness because she slipped her collar once (the collar is too big but it's a gift so we kept it). I have a back-clipping harness but just be aware of the pulling power that gives a husky. If I didn't have strong core and shoulders, I swear my Mayo would have dislocated my shoulder or faceplanted me a few times already! Some people use a front-clipping harness to discourage pulling.

Edited to add a photo of her harness:

mayo-harness.thumb.jpg.69aeb50d4c26734b967fecbf9c8c64c7.jpg

At least the harness comes with a handle at the top, which has been very handy. A grooming place staff once said she's like a "walking handbag". Haha.

Edit #2: I just noticed your husky is still a little 9-week-old pup! So... reread my reply in a couple of years? :P 

IMG_4849.JPG
I use a julius harness for Luna as it is very strong and very easy to put on and take off. It also has a handle on top if you just need to hold her for any reason. Oh and it comes in a variety of colours also u can get Velcro strips that attach to the side with specific words like dog in training etc. so people know if they approachable or whatever u get written on it. Best harness I have ever seen anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Im not a fan of the Julius harnesses, too many horror stories of them slipping , they always look like they don't fit properly and there have been recent studies to suggest harnesses like this actually affect the dogs ability to walk properly as it's pushing against the shoulders, they're too common for my liking too lol

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Really? Strange, to slip out they would need to walk backwards and even then it would have to be far too loose which makes it human error. Luna has caught 4 squirrels, a rabbit and countless amounts of mice, voles and a couple moles. It’s not as bad as u have heard, but, to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Astro got out of his julius k9 once too, luckily my boyfriend managed to catch him before he realised what had happened! We use Houdini ultra harnesses by Indi Dog now that they can’t back out of

I always checked them before we went out and I thought it was secure, I don’t know how he did it but he did, Luka blue never bothered to try. I think it depends on the personality of your dog, Cai can get out of anything, he used to open the safety gates!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

U do know they tighten up right? They are not supposed to be loose

Oh and how did it manage to get both legs out from the under strap? Houdini of the dog world lol

Yup fully aware of this, it was as tight as possible while being comfortable on Astro but if they back up for whatever reason it’s easy for them to get their head out and that’s it really!

I’m sorry I just don’t believe it, I put her harness on and even if her body was elastic she was never backing out of it. The under strap isn’t far from her elbows so yeah getting out of that would be impossible even if she were Houdini...

[emoji849]

Just to add: Huskies have a great talent & ability to squeeze into very small, tight spaces, and also squeeze & manuever out of tight spaces.
With Huskies, anything is possible ... because they are so smart!! That's why we all have them!![emoji6][emoji191][emoji191][emoji4]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

If using a julius harness then it’s a good idea to use a lead with 2 clips so you can clip one to the harness and one to the collar. Gives you a back up should they skip the harness which can and does happen.

Archived