Training litter mates

jlharries88

Separately, tho given they're now 9 months old it might be harder as they're starting to hit their stubborn teenage stage now , are they crate trained?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

No I will not put my dogs in a cage.. plus they'd just claw n bark to get to each other.. they run at a dog park unleashed for 3 hours a day.. at this moment can't be separated.

Crate training is an invaluable tool, specially if they're eating through walls which I'm assuming is when your not home , you sadly won't get much training done if u can't or refuse to separate them

Sadly I was at home when this happened... So that's why im at such a loss. We can't separate them bc there's no where one can go without the other.i have a 12 year old pit/lab mix not fixed never crate trained was always around another dog and he is so well trained I don't even need a leash to walk him though I always do.

Husky’s can’t be compared to other breeds, I trained two from pups and it took a good 2 years to get to where I am now, I can leave them for 6 hours with no incidents, they are well behaved and listen to commands, and they have full access around the house.
We’ve had our issues and destructive behaviour along the way but positive reinforced training is a must imo. I have to agree with separate training, I did this and it helps you to develop your bond with each pup, as already mentioned at 9 months they start to ignore you and can be stubborn. It can be frustrating and tiring and you may find one of the pups is the dominant one and the other follows if so then I’d advise spending a little extra time training him because the follower is not as demanding. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

It must have been the way I worded it [emoji849] we go out for more than 6 hours, what I should have said is if we’re out I can leave them unsupervised for up to 6 hours and it’s taken about 18 months to achieve this, I’d go out for short periods of time and gradually increase the time I’d be gone. In the beginning I’d leave for 5 mins, then 10 and so on, on a few occasions if I’d be gone for 2 hours I’d come home to chewed cushions, the rubbish all over the floor, and they’d managed to open the safety gate! I work from home so I’m with them most of the time, which helps, when we go off for the weekend we take them with us, my older son is 18 so he takes them on the last walk if we go out at night for a meal or the cinema. It was very hard for the first 18 months and now they’re both 2 and a half, training pays off in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 3 weeks later...

I have never used a crate on any of my dogs and won't it's down to personal preference.  I make sure my boy has two good walks a day. I have a 50 meter rope leash for walks. He has a laundry basket full of toys and he likes the large rawhide type bones that he chews on. I've left him on his own at night with the run of the downstairs but I have a safety gate. He's 12 month now. At 9 month he was a horror so I excercised more. I bought some bitter bite dog spray and sprayed it on things to stop chewing. 

I have two that are turning 8 months. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Mine are brother and sister. 

Bare with me this is going to be long but hopefully helpful.

My boy eats everything. Was at the Emergency Vet 2x a month for the first 4 months. His sister for some reason can pass anything. LOL

I had one of the vets tell me to use a BASKET muzzle. When they are in their backyard or on walks, they have to be muzzled or else. It has not made them mean and I took time to train them to accept it. Now even when they are in the house or in their dog run, if I notice them chewing. I make a noise that is only used for a No Chew command. If they don't stop I make the noise again and put there muzzles on them until THEY move away from the object. They picked up on it right away. Now I only get half way through the sound and they  immediately move away.

I am not a big creat person. I have although always had crates for all my dogs. 

I feed mine in their crates. I say Kennel and they know it's dinner time. It helps with excitement levels during feeding, it helped with the male eating too fast, and it helps when one needs meds and the other doesn't. After they are done eating they have to lay down before I let them out. Start out with one minute and then work up to (my max is 30 minutes). This way their tummies are  settled down before zummy time. Other than that the crates are left open. You would be surprised on how they will take naps on their own in the crates. Even at night my boy will go in on his own and sleep.

Side note: my male was an a@@ when it came to sharing. I actually trained them not to go into each other's crates so if one wants to be left alone with a toy they can.

As far as separating them. Uggg. This is a hard one with  siblings! 

You have to find away. In away I got lucky. They were separated for all the emergency visits, they were kept separate while I had the boy nurtured first then again when she was spayed two months later. While one was home the other was at daycare. They were also at separate ends of the house. We make a point to walk them separately at least two times a week. One stays home with a pup while the other takes the other. Then switch them.

I have had to  tweak their training to make it work for training two at the same time. It takes long and it is harder but it can be done.

I hope this help. Just hang in there.

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.ed2028cc71b9aa64db69c72fe88f2b72.JPGIMG_1837.thumb.JPG.8f96ab6df90a4424e00d8636f7837087.JPGIMG_1804.thumb.JPG.ec5ed8c157a9a59187c6b3643a349cca.JPGIMG_1788.thumb.JPG.fb5a69d1c46a0d04940f1f7d05bc4589.JPGIMG_2036.thumb.JPG.babbef5f51bf7a4aee7efd163546621f.JPGIMG_1944.thumb.JPG.09683eb6c1f4687d97e3382372045381.JPGIMG_2045.thumb.JPG.eea29099d71db777de459a7e15a19ea9.JPGIMG_2061.thumb.JPG.2bbc21bef8bcf004b5098abe8f4f7420.JPG

I have never used a crate on any of my dogs and won't it's down to personal preference.  I make sure my boy has two good walks a day. I have a 50 meter rope leash for walks. He has a laundry basket full of toys and he likes the large rawhide type bones that he chews on. I've left him on his own at night with the run of the downstairs but I have a safety gate. He's 12 month now. At 9 month he was a horror so I excercised more. I bought some bitter bite dog spray and sprayed it on things to stop chewing. 

Rawhide is really dangerous for dogs, definitely look for an alternative! https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rawhide-dangerous-for-dogs/

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived