7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!

dinfe22

What's up guys!
This is my first post and i'm excited to be a part of this forum.

I am buying a Siberian husky from a breeder and had some concerns and if you could help me out, i'd really appreciate it!

It is a 7½ week old male, and the breeder told me when they took him to the vet for a final examination, the vet said everything is healthy, except only one of the testicles hasn't descended yet. The vet said they couldn't locate it, and the breeder said they didn't want to do a further examination because it was so common.

I plan to neuter him but i'm afraid if i end up buying the husky and the testicle doesn't drop, I'll have a massive bill on my hands, for the additional surgery...Or worse the dog will develop cancer.

Should I look for another husky? I really came to like this specific one, and was looking forward to buying him, but I don't want to spend lots of money because of this issue.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Very Happy

My boy at the same age had an undecended testicle, our vet said that if it hasn't dropped by 12 months old he'll need to be neutered and have it removed , it did drop so we got him neutered around 18 months old instead, it's nothing to worry about the surgery is a little more invasive more like having a bitch spayed so it will cost a little extra but not an extortionate amount but it's still a very routine operation , just a slightly longer recovery time also , nothing to worry about and it wouldn't put me off getting the puppy either

I would like to add if you're not willing to spend money on vet bills is it wise to be getting a dog? I've just spent over 300 on my girl this month, about 50 for her arthritis check up /medication another 50+ on having a lump checked and just over 200 on antibiotics for an infection, sadly dogs cost money and it can be huge unexpected amounts at times

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

dont panic as it can drop at any time. also its not good to neuter dogs like huskys until the growth plates on the bones have attached so they shouldnt be done until 18 months 2 years of age anyway. early  neutering of dogs can lead to many health issues later in life

Thanks for the reply man, that really helped to know!

And i'm ok with spending money on the dog in case of emergencies, like yours. I'm sure you don't pay $300 every month,I didn't know if this was a major surgery that was cost $1000+.

Since my dogs is only about 8 weeks when I pick him up, how many vaccinations would I have to give him and how often? Also how much do these vaccinations cost?

Is there a website that gives an accurate time when the dog should be given specific vaccinations?

Thanks!

Sorry guys, I know it may seem like i want to be spoon fed every information. But i wanted a reliable and accurate source of info on this stuff.

I'm not sure where you are in the world , but in the UK the dogs only have 2 Injections one before they come home that the breeder should get done, and another around 10 weeks old , but I know in some places of the world a dog needs 3 injections, I can't remember how much they cost tho as it was so long ago , vets also give a once yearly booster too
Not every month tho lately it feels like that with all my pets lol

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

My red had an undescended testicle and the vet was quite pushy in trying to get me to have it removed, it dropped a few months later. Both of my boys are intact and after lots of research they’ll be staying that way, evidence points to more health issues having them neutered, vets push for neutering imo because of irresponsible breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Ice had an undescended testicle when we got him but by the time he was neutered it had dropped down.
The vet said that the surgery to remove his testicle had it not dropped down, would be no more invasive than a female spay.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 4 weeks later...

My Loki has an un-descended one also.  The vet quoted about $250 for the surgery.  He is 2 years old, though i have only had him for about 6 months.  We are just waiting for my schedule to come around to where I have several days off in a row so we can get the procedure done and I can stay home to monitor.

When I worked at a vet office we would see those on a regular basis. cryptorchidism. 

It is a little bit more  extensive of a surgery. However, I have never seen complications. (In younger dogs)

I personally, would give him a couple of months to see if it drops. But not past 6 months. *I realize there is a lot of studies regarding growth plates and stuff* However, since it is more  extensive and is more like a spay sooner the better if it is not showing any signs of dropping* Vets in the US do NOT like neutering or Spaying prior to 6 months. 

I neutered mine at 4 months and spayed my girl at 6 months. 

At the rescue groups and shelters all babies get fixed at 2 pounds and I personally have never seen or heard any medical issues from doing that.

Plus, vets here charge per weight. 

As far as money goes.... I had to go to the vet 2x a month for the first 3 months spending between $300/$800 a pop for my male eating stupid stuff. Then buying toys, training, and crates.... 💰💰💰💰

As far as shots (in the US) 7 weeks DHPPCV, 10 weeks DHPPCV +flu and Kennel caugh, 16 weeks DHPPCV flu and kennel caugh+  Rabies. 12 months Rabies and Kennel caugh. 

Kennel caugh is every 6 months

Rabies (Where I live) every 3 years (other places) every year

Flu once a year

Archived