BALTO, my new husky

realvizo

Hi Everyone!

my name is Randy from Davao City, Philippines. I named my dog after the legendary Balto of the 1925 serum rum to Nome. He is 7-week old as of now and I got him 12 days ago. At the start, I had a hard time making connection with my husky because he has short attention span and is engrossed with sleeping. He is starting to be active now as he continues to socialize with our other dogs. I want to train him as early as now but he seems inattentive. I read a lot about puppy training and is seeking more pratical insights on rearing a sibe. I hope I can learn in this forum something that could help make my relationship with my sibe more meaningful.

thank you and cheers!

036E961A-8340-4BCF-A443-F918414C0820.jpeg

Welcome to the pack seeing as you got him so young you will have a bit of a harder time teaching him as he's missed out on valuable lessons from his mother and siblings, bite inhibition is one of the main things he'll not have learnt yet
He really should have stayed with his mum until at least 8 weeks old

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thinking nowadays is pups learn their initial social skills from their mother in weeks 10-12, so even 8 weeks is really too early (though only the really dedicated breeders seem to ensure their pups gain those life lessons in weeks 10-12)

Beautiful pup.     Really sorry to hear you got him so young   -  biting issues will not be your only challenge  -  toilet training could well be an issue as well as separation anxiety and food possession/aggression  etc as he gets older.   It's good you have other dogs around as they may help to train him  (providing they are not too rough about it) and help keep him company.

I really hope your pup thrives in his new environment, but if you do find some issues then there are loads of really experienced people here to lend a hand.

Thanks much four your replies. Some issues are turning a challenge for me. Toilet training has been positive so far. I don’t see any separation anxiety as this was overcome by the presence of my other dogs. He is showing some signs of lack of impulse control during feeding time but i tried to deny him his food if he was jumping until he calms down, which he is learning progressively.  I am still observing for any manifest bad behaviour but so far he is turning on the right path. 

The only problem now is his lack of focus and and short attention span. Balto responds to training treats for attention but without the treats he is inattentive when called. Is it really true that Sibes are hard to train because they are independent? 

Welcome to husky owners.

Hard to train depends on your viewpoint. Can they learn new commands easily? You bet! But just because they know what you want them to do, doesn’t mean that they will comply. They tend to have a “what’s in it for me?” Attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Cute pup! Overall I wouldn’t say husky’s are hard to train and as Emma says it depends on your viewpoint, they are intelligent and independent free thinking dogs and imo as long as you understand this breed then you’ll work any issues out. They aren’t like any other breed so keep an open mind. I’d establish a routine for training, playing and feeding as soon as possible, positive reinforced training is the way to go, plenty of praise they thrive on it, my 2 do anyway. Short attention span is usual when they’re pups so I’d advise keep training short for pups as you’ll frustrate yourself and increase training time with age. Lots of play together will strengthen your bond and with bonding comes trust and once the trust is there you’ll find you have a good relationship with him. Once he reaches 4-6 months and his prey drive kicks in you’ll wonder where your well behaved pup disappeared to, it’s normal. Don’t give up no matter how frustrated you’re going to feel, training praise play praise lots of love and it pays off in the end. They are an amazing breed, good luck! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived