Help! My husky is out of control!

BaltoSalisbury

My husky is 1yr old now. He doesn't listen to me at all. He's been to puppy bootcamp for 3 weeks. He's great for him, but at home he just does what he wants. Does this behavior subside after he grows up? I've limited his freedom and I try to show him that I'm the leader of our pack but, he thinks he still is!! He's a bit rough when playing and poops and pees whenever and wherever he pleases. We take him out all the time too! I've almost reached the end of my rope. We love him and would never give him up. Help!!

maybe, and do not get me wrong, you should go to bootcamp with your dogs...it is imo great for training a dog but you both and or your partner also need to know what to do, you have a pup that is a husky and not a dog who will try everything out at least once and if it gets away with it more then once....

but ask questions...and in the mean time

1070950024_HOWelcome.jpg.8e2dbb070488e45396b2565d3baa15c0.jpg  TO 1523659820_HOBanner.thumb.png.29bac48053111b1e9f1a21b5d26c1715.png

I don't understand why people send their dogs away for training, that teaches you as an owner nothing on how to train your dog yourself , dogs don't just go and get fixed and then never need to be told again they need constant working , my 2 are nearly 9 and 10 and I still reinforce their training, did you have him from a puppy and what training did you put in with him? (obedience and toilet training etc) The problem you have now is that he's also hit his teenage stage so he's going to be even stronger willed then he was before he hit his teenage stage, people always say it's like reverting back to puppyhood but by then the dog usually has a least a bit of control over themselves to a point , is he neutered? Although you take him out all the time are you giving him mental exercise aswell as physical?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Huskies are very independent and difficult to train.  I think that one on one training, which creates a bond between you and your dog.  I think that is the best way to handle the situation.  I know of a few places here that do doggie boot camp, but I have heard the same problems from people going that route, that their dog behaved perfectly fine there, but everything flew out the window when the dog came home.  Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Hi, what methods do you use to show him you’re the leader of the pack?
My two are both 2 and a half and I’m still reinforcing their training, one of mine is obviously the dominant of the two and he used to test his boundaries with me daily, numerous times a day but as our bond became stronger, his listening to me improved dramatically, I can honestly say we don’t have any issues with them now and they have full access around the house but it’s taken about 2 years with daily training to achieve this, all I can advise is to use positive reinforced training and lots of praise, as your bond grows you will see a difference in him. You may have to go back to basics with toilet training, taking him out every half an hour, praise him and give him a treat when he pees or poops. If he’s done it inside you’ll need a good stain remover that gets rid of the smell otherwise he’ll gravitate back to the same place. Good luck and it does get easier.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

What Chelseafan said 👌 You have to be willing to stay the course. I have a 1 and half year old and 2 month old. You have to establish that you're the leader of the pack from day one and be consistent. Huskys are smart enough to sense that they can get away with something if you let them. Crate training helped me reinforce boundaries and a swift correction anytime they are out of line. The best training is you spending time  with your dog and teaching him/her. This will also create a stronger bond. Consistency, patience , and sternness is very much needed in husky's first year I believe. Also I must stress you must exercise daily this will help tremendously.Huskys have an enormous amount of energy (at least my 1 half year old does lol) and it helps to let them get rid of it through exercise. I usually run with my dog at least a mile almost everyday, rain,sleet snow,burning hot outside don't matter. I also took him to a local dog park a lot when he was younger and now to help with energy and socialize him. Just like Chelseafan said as time goes on it will get better as they mature and your bond grows stronger. My 1 and half yr old has full access to the house since he was about 8 months. He was potty trained in 2 months ( could have been shorter had I started out with the crate). My 2 month old is still in training. She won't poop in house but will pee but that's somewhat understandable since pups need to develop the ability to hold it over time. We are getting there though. I usually take her out every hour to pee in the same spot and give her praise every time she pees. Husky require alot of effort and work and you have to put it in if you want results... I hope this helps!

I have this love hate relationship (figuratively speaking) with our Husky. I love how independent and strong willed she is but I also hate it when she doesn't listen or does something she knows not to. They are such a beautiful carefree breed but very stubborn as the others have said stick to training they are shits at the age of 8 months to just over a year old but persistence and regiment is key

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived