Is a husky right for me?

betbet

Hi... I've always been intrigued by huskies and am looking at possibly getting a husky puppy from a breeder.

We are currently a family of 4 (I personally am home nearly 24/7, happy to exercise a husky daily etc.) me being the youngest at 20 years old. We also have a 5 year old cavalier king charles who is also extremely playful and is always wanting to play play play or be with someone. 

The other people living in the house are fearful due to some research discovering that huskys will dig up the entire yard as well as destroy the house when left alone for a short amount of time. Despite my efforts in trying to convince them that dogs can be trained & things like this can easily be prevented, they still seem to be set on a husky being a troublesome breed. 

Is this true? Could things like this be easily prevented? If so, how?

Thank you

if you let them yes they will dig up the yard...ours have a sepperate area where they are allowed to dig and I keep filling it back in on a weekly basis...  I leave mine alone and free to roam the house for upto 5 hours it is all in the training.. you can also think about crating when nobody is home that is what a lot of people do...

huskies are not a troublesome breed they are huskies not dogs...LOL they have a thinking mind and can get bored quickly and that is when they get themselves into trouble.. as the saying goes a tired husky is a very happy husky... 

With regards to chewing , my boy only really had a thing for paper so nothing major got damaged oh except for the skirting boards lol, my girl however chewed EVERYTHING she could get her paws on , electrical cables, fish tank wire , Xbox games , tv remotes , shoes , blinds you name it she would have had it in her mouth at one point , we crate trained her so when we went out and she wasn't supervised (and she had to have constant supervision if we were home) she couldn't chew eventually she did grow out of it
Digging, a difficult one, mine never really dug big craters but yes the garden did have a few pot holes we , got it returfed and fenced the grass off so it was supervised time only, we now have astroturf so no longer have to worry about it but I know some people have a specific digging area for their dogs so they can still have that desire and fun without wrecking the actual garden, like robke says they aren't dogs they're a very independent breed who really do think for themselves and decide if they want to listen to you or not, however if u can find a respectful balance and bond they do tend to listen a bit more
And yes a tired husky is a happy husky

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Its hard to say because every dog is different, and has a different personality. I adopted a 3 year-old Husky mix (now 4 years old) and he has not given me one problem. No digging, no chewing, no destroying the house. He's very relaxed, and actually, a little timid. So, I am sure my experience is very different, and I don't know what he was like as a puppy. It is great for you to do your research, and it is great if you can commit to walking every day. That is one thing my boy loves -- walking!  I had sore legs for months after adopting him (and I even started walking every day before I adopted him to try to condition myself.)  All in all, I think having a Husky has been a great experience, and could be for you, too. 

Kim

I agree with others have stated.  I have had 2 of mine from puppies and there have been moments.  But every dog is different, and you won't really know.  But in general, huskies love to dig, get bored easily and needs tons of exercise.  Otherwise they can be destructive.  But I think any dog has the potential to be destructive.  Training and exercise will go a long way

P1010511.thumb.JPG.0faaa6f602bf527f2385c1e970f5a845.JPG687713168_P1010509(2).thumb.JPG.1c759fb03e6a07c18e66b777bc509671.JPG

I also got a matching settee arm  -  Marley got bored.    I make sure he does not get bored any more.      I can say that he is the most intelligent, and challenging dog I have ever had, .................................... and that I will never have any other breed again.     He is the most captivating, funny, obstinate, and totally lovable creature,  -  angel on the outside and all devil on the inside  -  he can open every door in the house except the front door   -  that includes a locked back door, can get through impossibly small holes in order to get to what he wants.

153859372_P1010471(Copy).thumb.JPG.37c9fc25099063863b31da8a69e6fc2e.JPG he was around 6 months old here771644239_P1010473(Copy).thumb.JPG.b9c8bafcd6e0ae1c8f97886d4c4f3e32.JPG  and was only around 18 inches away from the girls

Get a husky  -  you will never be bored again   -  I promise

• 3 weeks later...

One of mine chewed through a wall at 9 months old when I was taking a shower.. we let them dig at the dog park then fill it in so they don't mess the yard.. but they've chewed through wooden chairs and they are obsessed with cardboard boxes and toliet paper and paper towel rolls... Constantly looks like it snowed it my house

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

To keep my dogs from chewing wooden table and chair legs I put a small amount of Vicks Vapour rub on the legs  -  they only went for them once.   Does not hurt the dogs, does not hurt the furniture.

Hi, they’re more than a dog, they are as all have said above, but with you being at home you’ll have the time to train them, i’d advise you to fully research this breed before you decide because too many end up in rescues, it’s taken me just over 2 years to train my 2 to be able to leave them for up to 6 hours with nothing destroyed and it’s been hard work but so worth it, they are an amazing breed but it requires commitment with training and giving them the exercise they need.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived