New puppy & husky owner - Kira Dreams of Winter

Hello!

My name is actually Tami - my husband's and my new puppy we are getting in two days is named Kira. She's currently mostly white with bi-colored eyes. It's been really hot here in Oregon, especially without AC, so I thought if I was a husky, I would be dreaming of winter non stop, hence the name. We are getting Kira from a breeder who, after talking to many, many other breeders, rescues, and humane societies, we decided to land with the one we ended up with for a variety of reasons. First, in Oregon, it's almost impossible to get a puppy from a rescue (the demand is SO high here) when it's your first puppy/dog and you haven't had a dog in the last five years. Every time I applied for one, either the foster adopted it or someone else snagged it before me (the last straw for me was when there was a 4 month old husky that I met at an adoption event. I told the rescue before I could adopt him my husband needed to meet him as my husband was working all day [hes a pharmacist]. They told me to contact the rescue the next day to see if the pup was adopted. I did and the pup wasn't adopted. But they said the foster parent was willing to adopt if nobody wanted him and I said - my husband and I want to meet him together and adopt. They never got back to me so yeah...trying to do a good thing...). For about 6 months I tried and finally got fed up so I looked at breeders. I kid you not, the number of shady breeders out there were...unbelievable. Someone tried to sell me a husky pup from maryland for only 550 dollars, which included shipping. NOPE. 

Kira comes from a breeder outside of Portland who was open to all questions, allowed us to visit the pups and the parents before we put a deposit down, showed us all paperwork, and walked us through the process. Really amazing lady and I'm excited to get Kira from her. Another breeder I was talking to was really high-strung and particular to the point he wouldn't let me n my husband meet the puppy, even if we put a deposit down, until pick up at 7 weeks (I didn't like that as 8 weeks is my min). 

So, we found Kira and now we are doing the waiting game. I have some dog experience - grew up with a very, very aggressive but sweet shar-pei (she wasn't well trained but protected me and my family like no other). My other experience is helping train horses (not a dog but lots of similar positive reinforcement type of experience) on a ranch and taking care of friends dogs whenever I can. I'm going to be working from home for the next few months so I will have loads of quality time with Kira - most of my research has been with zak george and other positive training peeps. I'm not interested in any form of "negative reinforcement" and my husband and I are prepared to take the time to train a puppy, especially a husky. I might be over preparing (we created a puppy den for her in what used to be an office that opens up to both the kitchen and living room that we put dog doors in so she can watch us from either side of our apartment when she's hanging out in there) and honestly, I'm really nervous. I want to do her well. 

The biggest concern I have is that we are dropping her off at a lady' shouse we found on Rover (she just graduated dog training school) the weekend after we pick up Kira as my husband and I are holding our wedding reception in Nashville. I really don't want to traumatize Kira and the lady she's boarding with seems well knowledgeable and prepared to take care of her (she also has two dogs and a stay at home husband so Kira will be well watched). I would take Kira with me on the plane but she's not fully vaccinated and I think plane rides would be WAY more stressful than leaving her at another home with her blanket that smells like her litter and lots of love.

SO yep! That's Kira! Pics below. 

Thank you everyone! Please share with me your stories in finding your pups and how training went/going. 

556687269.jpg

Aww she's cute, well done on being fully researched , would it be possible for the breeder to keep her an extra week till after the wedding reception rather than uproot her to a new home and then move her again to someone else with 2 dogs she doesn't know, it could be very scary and overwhelming for her specially as they go through several fear stages during their puppy months, it might be beat she stays in an environment she knows best , and as you already know the longer they stay with mum the better behaved they are, we didn't get out girl till she was 14 weeks and she was completely different in her behaviour than our male who we got at 8 weeks and she has been easier to train and didn't nip at all

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

You'll find training huskies is NOTHING like training other breeds of dogs also , very strong minded lol

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived