Adult husky sometimes starts mouthing toddler?

odessa1

Hi all,

My husky (8 years old) has a lovely temperament. The only time she ever displayed aggression was when we had my sibling’s dog living with us for some time, and it was always towards the other dog. It was a very stressful time because I had never seen her display any sign of aggression until this dog came into our lives. She was always very friendly around other dogs, but until one lived with us it was a whole different story! 
Anyway, she’s been back to normal ever since that dog doesn’t live with us anymore. 
However, she’s normally very playful and gentle with children. But recently, we’ve become an involuntary foster family with 2 little ones at ages 2 and 18 months for a temporary time. So we’ve all been getting used to this situation, especially my husky. 
When we bring the children outside, she’s usually only interested in the 18 month old, which I’m assuming is because of his height. She listens and tries to restrain her excitement, but on occasions she will gently mouth his face and it shocks him and us. I’m just concerned this might be aggressive behaviour, or she’s just being overly playful. She’s always bowing and being submissive with children, but this mouthing habit is a bit worrying. 

Thanks for any advice or opinions :)

I would personally discourage this by withdrawing her from the group for a few minutes into solitary.  It may be she's 'mouthing' to try and pick the youngest up as an adult would with a pup but this isn't going to be advisable. 

Tell her her 'No. Leave'... 'Be nice'. After a few times of being removed from the group of you all, return an watch. 

When she starts 'listening' (her ears and demeanor will tell you), to you and stops trying to mouth.. reward with praise, stroking and a treat. 

It might be a gentle form of 'dominance' to this very small human, however, this shouldn't be encouraged. 🤗

Archived