help needed re: assimilating husky into a new household

cari141

Hi --

So I've had a husky (Dakota) for about ten years now.  When I first got her I read several articles about establishing myself as the alpha, and for the most part we haven't had any issues over the years.  However, we've been spending a lot more time at my boyfriend's house recently, and he and his dog don't really have a lot of "rules" - which obviously confuses Dakota and has been leading to her acting out.  SO, we're finally having the conversation and trying to get the dogs on the same page.  But I have one question I haven't really been able to find the answer to.  I know that traditionally dogs on people furniture is a no-no when establishing hierarchy.  But his dog has a chair that is "hers" - no people sit on it.  Is it okay for her to continue to use that chair, or should all furniture be discouraged?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

agree just let her use her chair...ours are allowed on the sofa if a cover is on it they know "most" of the time when the cover is not on then they are not allowed on their...but then when special friends visit that riles has been chucked out of the window many of times...

Agree.   The 'Alpha theory'  is outdated.    My dogs are allowed wherever they want  -  I love it if one decides he wants to join me on the settee (we also have covers)

Alpha theory has been long rubbished so not relevant. As a general rule, we've always used the general "be fair to them and they'll be fair to you" with a structure to which we're always consistent, no exceptions. One of the rules we have is that everything is shared - and that includes the seating (as well as the more usual toys, etc). And that applies to all of them as well as to all of us - so, whilst they have one armchair in "their" room (the dining room is their habitual room), they all share it between them and we can sit in it too. Similarly, when they come into the living room, they can sit on the settees but so can we. They're all fed together, they all play together and over the last 10 years we've not had a single issue or disagreement (and that includes the occasional foster) - we're all friends with each other and not a single day passes when I'm not grateful to them for being so amicable and peaceful (and bear in mind, 4 are rescues). So, I say let her sit in the chair but dissuade her from treating it as solely hers.

Archived