A (very late) update on Saiya the wooly agouti!

Ukulehailey

Hi all! I hope you're well, it has been a long while. I said I'd update you guys on Saiya's growth and many years later, here it is!

I mostly lurk the forum these days, but we're coming up on Saiya's 7th birthday (in October already! Jeez, time flies) so I thought it a good idea to show/tell you all how she's getting on since the last you saw her she was a juvenile. She has had some issues come up with her health - I recently took her in for her first UTI and left with news that her liver is less than half the size it should be, and her stomach orientation is flipped (I can attach a photo of the x-ray if anyone is interested). Aside from that, she's happy, healthy, and as rambunctious as ever. 😋 

Without further ado, here she is all grown up!

IMG_20161023_152610669.thumb.jpg.e1a48df4dc1cadc66d90e866e39192cc.jpgIMG_20161023_213412.thumb.jpg.6f25e0ed71b44a6a8cfaeabc02e7f9e5.jpgIMG_20161023_152622604.thumb.jpg.3f827b85e00112f6571fa90b87c82f8a.jpgIMG_20161023_152729365.thumb.jpg.577976753b0b1e528f27e3e899b9a013.jpgIMG_20161023_153023156.thumb.jpg.3d1ac859568346c1bce7c9465b58ba18.jpgIMG_20171123_144902.thumb.jpg.ee29c98f9ddab3c9c8d7b9d207f88302.jpg

As you can see, her mask has changed very drastically since she was just a pup! Please feel free to peruse her old posts (though not all of the photos are there...some have been replaced with some super weird content over the years, somehow... 🤔). She's been graying since day 1, and while that's not necessarily an indicator of her age, man does it suck watching your puppy grow old! 😭

Anyhow, thanks for lookin' and I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there...how are you.  Just wanted to say I saw a picture of your agouti puppy and loved her colouring.  Saiya is a beautiful name for her.  I am looking for the same breed and colouring, can you tell me which breeder you bought her from so I can contact them.  I would really appreciate it.  I've been looking for one for a while now and it's hard to find.  Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Taunia said:

Hi there...how are you.  Just wanted to say I saw a picture of your agouti puppy and loved her colouring.  Saiya is a beautiful name for her.  I am looking for the same breed and colouring, can you tell me which breeder you bought her from so I can contact them.  I would really appreciate it.  I've been looking for one for a while now and it's hard to find.  Many thanks.

Just a quick reminder... sites with pups for sale are not allowed to be posted on the forum...

He never said that just a friendly reminder that no links are to be shared as it is against the rules
To be honest reputable breeders who breed to better the breed don't tend to breed woolys as they are a fault

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

3 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

He never said that just a friendly reminder that no links are to be shared as it is against the rules
To be honest reputable breeders who breed to better the breed don't tend to breed woolys as they are a fault

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Absolutely true, the breed isn't supposed to be long-haired, so I completely agree with you. Could you imagine the mats on a wooly husky used for sledding a couple thousand years ago? Yeah, no thanks...

I got Saiya in 2011, and I had done my due diligence in researching the breed.

The only thing I was after was an agouti, and I found a breeder who happened to have one. They appeared to be responsible breeders - I remember the parents had been OFA tested, AKC registered...all that jazz. I had never even heard of woolies, and it wasn't until I had her for about a week that I realized she was a little...fluffier...than other husky puppies I've seen. A year later and it's very obvious that she's a wooly. I contacted the breeder with a "hey, I didn't realize she'd have long hair...?" and she responded by saying that she isn't a wooly. Which is clearly not the case, as you can see from the pictures...y'know...with your eyes. 🙄 

As an aside though, her long coat isn't a hinderance at all in our day-to-day and I wouldn't be treating a non-wooly husky any differently. Still night walks in the summer, and she gets along just fine in the Michigan winters, as you'd imagine. I have 0 interest in showing so I am not bothered that she's not "show quality"...Saiya is a "pet-quality" Siberian Husky. In any case, I suppose I wouldn't recommend this breeder based on the fact that I was told my long-haired dog wasn't long-haired. Hard to wrap my mind around that one. 

Both BB&S and I have a woolly  -   which I actually prefer  -   I don't care about the 'fault'  -  but I know that it would have made life difficult a long time ago,  mind you its not so easy now as mine refuses to blow his coat and it just gets thicker and thicker and I end up having to take him to the groomers to be stripped  (brush & comb only).   I was just extremely lucky when I rescued him that he turned out to be a woolly.

Archived