Excessively noisy old man husky

Michelle S

Looking for advice..  I adopted an old husky 2 years ago, he’s now 11and is happy with my 11yr old Labrador.  He is going deaf, has some vision issues and his hips are maintained with medication and vitamin supplements.  He seems happy and is certainly loved.  But!  Over the last 3 months he’s become excessively noisy - yapping, howling, whining, talking.  All hours of the day 😩 when he comes inside he’s fine momentarily but starts again - generally he’s an outside dog.  Our vet can’t find anything physically wrong with him.  I work long hours and my kids are at school - his legs aren’t fit for walks, he gets love and attention when we’re home and has bones during the day.  Any suggestions on why he’s started this and what I could do to stop the noise before my neighbours put in a formal complaint?  I thought about bark collar for night time - any alternate thoughts?  He’s driving me nuts!

I know you said he's not fit for walks and I'm sorry to hear that but maybe just a 5 minute walk outside might help him if he is maybe feeling cooped up , a change of scenery even if it's just outside of your house and garden might help him , also if he's going deaf and his vision is going he might be feeling anxious about you not being around , maybe give him something that smells of you and leave a tv or radio on low to keep him company , treat him as if he were a puppy again, and tho it's rare has he been checked for canine dementia

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived