Thiking of rehoming

robinthatcher

Hi Guys

I would like to stress that by far no decision has been made on this I am purely looking for experiences of rehoming a Husky and advice if I did choose this route.

We have had Chase for nearly 2 years now from 10 weeks old. He is, as Husky's go brilliant. He isn't perfect on the lead but to me he isn't the worst. He just loves other dogs and playing with them. He listens when food is involved and generally is well behaved. He stays in the garden a lot as he loves it and is crated which he seems fine at unless you leave him when he has a little moan. The issue is my partner is ill. Since we have had Chase the hair seems to have got to her chest and I cannot have her health being affected. She has ongoing asthma now which she never had before Chase and keeps getting hit quite hard. She works hard and doesn't ever moan about it but I am sure the Dr has said the dog could be the issue.

Now we have 3 kids, 2 boys who love Chase and he is great with kids I mean he is brilliant with them he thinks he is one of them. He is a womens dog too he loves women. He likes to try and play rough with me, that's my use to him.

Anyway if this illness keeps going I will have to search for a longterm home for him possibly and that is weighing on my mind. I could only really let Chase go to a home with other dogs as he is so dog orientated it is the only thing missing from our house for him. But I worry about how it will affect, the kids, him and even me and wanted to know if anyone had experienced this.

I could never put him into rescue, he is a white blue eyed boy and I have had people try and buy him off me in the street but I know he would last 2 minutes before being rehomed again and I do not want him bouncing around homes.

I just wondered if anyone here had experiences they could talk about.

I would suggest you have two choices:

1. Re-home, preferably to a breed specific rescue (though worth mentioning that all the rescues are jammed up - the one we work with has a waiting list of about 30-40)

2. Determine whether your partner's asthma is dog-related and, if so, look at the various methods of managing the condition. My partner has terrible COPD/asthma which we manage with medication and by ensuring the house is regularly vacuumed (worth mentioning that we have 6 dogs and 2 cats). Stepdaughter has dreadful reaction to the cats when she's been away for any length of time - she'll be moving out permanently in the next couple of weeks and wanted to take the cats too (we've suggested she doesn't - not for her asthma allergy but as they'll tie her down which she doesn't need at this stage in her life). I have COPD and definitely 'feel' when the fur quantities get on the high side so an early indicator to clean!

Ultimately, it's your family's decision as to what course of action to take - but I urge you to fully investigate both options before making any decision

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has had asthma since she was two. I first discovered it when she stroked a dog in the street and her face swelled up on one side, she got spots on her face too. I took her to A&E who diagnosed a dog allergy. Subsequently after a few years she was diagnosed with allergic asthma and has several triggers, dogs, cats, horses and some grasses and trees. When she was around 10 we got her a Jack Russell pup, we had a cat and from then on we were never without a furry pet of some kind because the pleasure she got from them out weighed the downside of the asthma. She is 46 now and still has a dog and cat, sometimes two dogs or two cats. She has had quite a few bad asthma attacks, hospitalised occasionally too. When she left home she made the decision to take her dog with her, she is willing even now to risk the bad chests etc. because she loves the animals. She’s not particularly house proud and the the dog she has now sleeps on her bed every night.

My advice would be that before you make the decision to rehome your dog, consider whether that is truly what your partner wants, how much your children are attached to a dog you’ve had since he was a puppy and can you really, really let him go? He’s not just a pet he’s a family member, you say yourself he’s a truly lovely dog, can you honestly part with him? Before you do, consider the options, as above, try to find out if he is the cause or trigger for your partner’s asthma attacks, is there a chance that you could keep one main room totally dog free for your partner to use? A poster on here who was allergic to a dog he wanted to rehome to his house had an air cleaning system installed, maybe not cheap but you never know. Maybe invest in the best vacuum cleaner you can afford and use it every day to remove as much dander as you can to reduce the impact. Would your partner wear a dust mask perhaps?

Quite honestly, I’m reading that your heart will break if you have to give him up especially as it’s so difficult to find another home where you’re happy to place him. I’d want to try anything I could before I took that option. It’s difficult I know but giving away something you love has to be the last option not the first. I really hope you can find an alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived