Help! I'm 37 weeks pregnant and our male husky behaviour has changed

PolarStorm

Hi all,

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant and one of our male dogs has become destructive while we are out of the house.  He has also taken possession of a ball and he is absolutely obsessed with it.

This is completely out of character for him as he's usually so laid back.  He is obviously sensing the impending change and is a bit stressed so how can i reassure him?  I'm a bit worried over the ball possession as i don't want this getting worse when the baby comes.

He's 8 1/2 years old so obviously not a puppy!

I should also note that my other two huskies seem to be grand, the female is indifferent and my other male is incredibly affectionate. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi I’m 40 weeks pregnant! Dogs are really intelligent so they must know something is happening. One of my male huskies has become more clingy than usual and my other one was acting a lot more stressy than usual but he’s quite anxious anyway. I think that’s mainly down to a routine change as I’ve stopped working now and my boyfriends shifts have changed in work so they are getting walked at different times and they aren’t used to me being at home all the time

I’ve got a behaviourist on hand who is based at my local dog rescue, if I do have any concerns I’m going to have him come round. Maybe contact your local rescues and see if they have one? Are you based in the UK? Dogs Trust offer workshops for dogs around children and they also sent me some leaflets

I think when baby actually arrives it will all be different (hopefully)! I’ve been playing baby crying noises from you tube to get them used to the noise, and I’ve had the Inovi cocoon basket (more stable than a Moses basket in case of husky zoomies and it has a cover over it to stop noses poking in, would definitely recommend) in the living room for a few weeks and also the swing chair to get them used to them. I’m gonna also try and keep everything as normal as possible for them and I’m restricting visitors to the house at first as I want the dogs to settle with the baby. They also say to let the dogs smell a blanket or clothing that has been on the baby before introducing them to the baby, I’m going to be staying overnight so I’m going to ask my boyfriend to take a blanket home with him when he goes home in the evening

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Everyone has covered my thoughts too.

SA - he feels he needs to be near you. Can you give him a frozen carrot before you go out and just leave.. no fussing your end... maybe leave an old article of worn clothing too for him.

Introducing articles with baby's scent on when born is good too.  

My Boxers were incredible 38 yrs ago.. and patrolled the bungalow corridor in turns to check up on my daughter whenever she was asleep in our room.best wishes!

Thanks all for responding!  He definitely senses a change- i just don't want him stressing out therefore as i have just started maternity leave today i'm hoping he will settle better if i'm about more often.  He has never been an overly anxious dog to begin with-in fact he is the cool calm collected one this is why we are so surprised at his behaviour lately.  

5 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Sounds like he's getting separation anxiety which would make sense if he feels he needs to protect you now there's a baby arriving
I would definitely follow Rachael 's advise

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

This makes sense as he does have to follow me about or he just stares at me most of the time.

6 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Hi I’m 40 weeks pregnant! Dogs are really intelligent so they must know something is happening. One of my male huskies has become more clingy than usual and my other one was acting a lot more stressy than usual but he’s quite anxious anyway. I think that’s mainly down to a routine change as I’ve stopped working now and my boyfriends shifts have changed in work so they are getting walked at different times and they aren’t used to me being at home all the time

I’ve got a behaviourist on hand who is based at my local dog rescue, if I do have any concerns I’m going to have him come round. Maybe contact your local rescues and see if they have one? Are you based in the UK? Dogs Trust offer workshops for dogs around children and they also sent me some leaflets

I think when baby actually arrives it will all be different (hopefully)! I’ve been playing baby crying noises from you tube to get them used to the noise, and I’ve had the Inovi cocoon basket (more stable than a Moses basket in case of husky zoomies and it has a cover over it to stop noses poking in, would definitely recommend) in the living room for a few weeks and also the swing chair to get them used to them. I’m gonna also try and keep everything as normal as possible for them and I’m restricting visitors to the house at first as I want the dogs to settle with the baby. They also say to let the dogs smell a blanket or clothing that has been on the baby before introducing them to the baby, I’m going to be staying overnight so I’m going to ask my boyfriend to take a blanket home with him when he goes home in the evening

Good luck!

I'll definitely try some of the above, i'm just scared that the destructiveness will get out of control and he will try to shred all of the baby stuff ( and possibly hurt the baby!) or that the possessiveness of the ball may indicate stress /jealousy.  We have put things away when we leave now just to make sure and the balls are kept away until we are out i the garden.

Congratulations Rachael! hopefully you wont have too much longer to wait for your bundle of joy :) please keep us updated on how your huskies take to the baby, it would be interesting to hear!

Make sure you keep the dogs included, the health visitor and behaviourist told me the worst thing you can do is push them away

He can probably sense something is happening but maybe he doesn’t know what which could be why he’s stressed. Just try and get him as prepared as possible and try and keep his routine when baby arrives and he should be fine [emoji4]

Thank you I will do!

Archived