4th of July PTSD, won’t go outside after dark.

mattman17

Well, since all the fireworks and on the fourth and the week following I have not been able to get Sakura past the sidewalk before she freaks out. This means no pee/poop before bed and she thankfully holds it till morning.

Problem is now she is thinking that if she sits and plants herself or turns and pulls as hard as she can that she gets to go inside. There is nothing happening outside to scare her she’s just on super alert mode and is traumatized from all the explosions.

Do I let her keep thinking it’s ok to react like that till she’s over it? Or do I keep trying to urge her forward showing her it’s ok? I don’t want to traumatize her more by forcing her out but I also don’t want her to be terrified of outside after dark forever.

HELP!!!

PFA

38dd03115d0e41f485ad6300edfd1cc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cai doesn’t like the noise of fireworks either so I close the curtains, turn up the tv or music to drown out the bangs and he goes under my bed, it’s his safe place. If she becomes very stressed by it I’d speak to a behaviourist, but I wouldn’t force her out because this will add to her anxiety. You could acclimatise her to the sounds of fireworks by buying a firework CD and keeping it very low, I haven’t tried it but I know some who have, they use it weeks before bonfire night. Hope she’ll be ok [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Cai doesn’t like the noise of fireworks either so I close the curtains, turn up the tv or music to drown out the bangs and he goes under my bed, it’s his safe place. If she becomes very stressed by it I’d speak to a behaviourist, but I wouldn’t force her out because this will add to her anxiety. You could acclimatise her to the sounds of fireworks by buying a firework CD and keeping it very low, I haven’t tried it but I know some who have, they use it weeks before bonfire night. Hope she’ll be ok [emoji1]

There hasn’t been fireworks for a week. No sounds no anything outside but she won’t go. This isn’t an afraid of the sounds thing, this is an afraid to go outside after dark now because what happened during the 4th celebration.

A behaviourist would better advise you, if she’s fearful I wouldn’t force her to go out because the fear will probably increase and then she’ll have anxiety. Will she go in the garden at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Furthest I’ve gotten her is to the garage and that’s about 50 feet from front door. Usually she plants around the 10 feet out.

I would never “force” her, that’s as a bad choice in words. What I meant was continue to keep her leash tight calling her trying to show her I’m not afraid and it’s ok. Instead of letting her be afraid and think it’s legitimate.

She’s fine in the morning when it’s dark it’s only from sundown on that she is sketch. She will barely go on the screened porch without tail tucked and always ready to bolt in.

It can take a while to work out fear issues, is it possible for you to put some lights outside for when it’s dark and leave the door open for her so she go outside as and when she wants to. One of mine saw a behaviourist for fear issues and it was the best thing I did for him.

Archived