Can’t Keep Attention

Hummingbird

My puppy 9 wks has the attention span of a gold fish. I try removing her toys from the area, using treats, and maintaining eye contact and she won’t pay attention long enough for me to get her to sit. I’ve had her a week and made zero progress. I can’t tell if this is normal for the breed or not. I’ve tried everything I can think of, short (5-10 minutes) training sessions, i’ve tried different time of day, different treats, everything. All she wants is to bite my feet and run around.

I’m trying to not let my frustration show, but she hasn’t even successfully done sit once! I get her attention, say sit while doing the gesture and slowly raising the treat in front of her. She just lays down and gets in the play position. 

Did other people struggle to get their puppies attention? Any tips?

Nine weeks is very young. Patience. And you're  expecting the moon so soon! Lol.

First .. get her to know her name by calling and patting your knees or get down on the floor and patting the floor.

As soon as she runs hold treat in front saying her name

'..... and sit'!  and then hold treat up over her nose to make her look up, go back and ...  sit. . Reward instantly. 

It can take thirty reps to get a new trick into them but don't do longer than a couple of minutes.

Leave for 30 mins ...  and play ball or a gentle tug game.. saying 'leave' and holding a small treat to distract get them to let go and reward immediately.  Even play becomes training by positive reward enforcement.

Successdogs.com and Absolutedogs.com sites are both very good.  I have worked from the first .. with good results on mine.

🤗

She’s still a baby yet, it’s all about play at the moment, to begin with I just trained to pee and poop outside, that took no more than 2 and a half weeks and then I started training them to sit, lie etc. I established a routine for feeding, training and playing from the beginning and you’re right about the short attention span [emoji33] I used positive reinforcement, even the smallest of things they get right give them lots of praise, they respond to that and they want to please you as pups! Training is ongoing and can be exhausting and frustrating, keep cool, never shout and it’ll come together. She will change when her prey drive kicks in, at around 4-5 months and she may ignore you, persevere with training and especially playing as it’s great for bonding. Cai loves to play catch with balls and he’ll just bring it to me when he wants me to play with him, Luka blue joins in just so he can run off with the ball! Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived