Thena

DaveTC366

Hi everyone,

proud new owner of Athena, 12 week old pup. Previously have owned & loved Springers & GSPs, & am terrified of all the horror stories regarding Huskies digging, climbing, escaping etc. Am lucky enough to be retired & give the pup loads of attention, and also walk her twice daily for as long as she wants. She's crate trained already & hasnt been a bit of bother so far. She's amazing. Looking for any advice going forward, esp with the digging/escaping thing. Thanks. 

Hi there, pups should be walked 5 mins per 1 month of age, so at 12 weeks she should only be walked 15 mins at a time although she can be taken out 2-3 times a day. It’s because her bones are still growing, anything more can cause issues
Digging, yup I had that! Not much you can do about that really unless you want to pave your garden or get fake grass like I did! Just make sure any holes are filled quickly, I would say as well never leave a husky unattended in the garden
Regarding escaping, as above never leave a husky unattended, don’t leave them tied up anywhere outside, make sure fences and gates are at least 6 feet high and make sure any gates and doors are kept closed. It’s a bit like having a toddler really you have to make sure everywhere is secure, and have eyes at the back of your head!
That’s great that she’s crate trained already!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Welcome to the pack , like Rachel says only 15mins per walk atm , I'm lucky mine have never really dug in the garden not to the extent some do and now we have fake grass so they can't dig at all :) , make sure she doesn't wear a collar in the crate

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

1 hour ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Hi there, pups should be walked 5 mins per 1 month of age, so at 12 weeks she should only be walked 15 mins at a time although she can be taken out 2-3 times a day. It’s because her bones are still growing, anything more can cause issues
Digging, yup I had that! Not much you can do about that really unless you want to pave your garden or get fake grass like I did! Just make sure any holes are filled quickly, I would say as well never leave a husky unattended in the garden
Regarding escaping, as above never leave a husky unattended, don’t leave them tied up anywhere outside, make sure fences and gates are at least 6 feet high and make sure any gates and doors are kept closed. It’s a bit like having a toddler really you have to make sure everywhere is secure, and have eyes at the back of your head!
That’s great that she’s crate trained already!

Thanks for the advice. 

She really has been brilliant so far but I’m wary of a ‘one off’ incident since practically everyone has said how prone they are to digging or climbing. She’s not shown any of that, but I know 2 of her siblings have already. At 16 weeks!

It’s a real worry. I didn’t realise. Our rear garden is really enclosed, with a stream, so she’s lots to go at as far as discovering stuff is concerned & keeping occupied. 

Its just the escape mode. Is there anyone out there who can say ‘Train the dog, lots of stimulation, lots of on leash exercise & you'll be okay. Hopefully’  

I’ve found with mine the only times they have tried to get over the fence have been when there’s been an animal on the other side (I’ve got fields behind my house and it’s pitch black in my garden at night, I’ve left them out at night a few times and they done a mad dash at the fence so I can only guess there was a fox or something either on or just behind the fence). Also when next doors dogs barked when they first got them but they aren’t bothered about that anymore. When they are just generally in the garden and there’s been no creatures about they don’t show any interest in the fence, but all dogs are different. Unfortunately unless you can keep wildlife or cats out of your garden there’s not much you can do about it!
No amount of training, exercise or stimulation can turn off a huskies trigger to chase, it’s a deeply engrained instinct which can’t be switched off. If a husky wants to chase something that’s all they focus on!
That’s why I never leave my dogs unattended outside, at night I follow them out with a torch on my phone, you never know what creatures are out and about

That’s why I’m sat watching her now! My last dog was a wonderful GSP, & she was just amazingly loyal & well trained, without being formally trained. She just fitted right in. I’ve read all these tales about Huskies being difficult but so far, she’s been an absolute dream

D8536B19-777E-48AC-8F09-4332BEEA019E.jpeg

Lovely pic, as already mentioned, husky’s have a high prey drive so chasing prey is natural, she’s young yet and at her age they listen to you more, once her prey drive kicks in you’ll see a difference in her. Husky’s are hard work, not just the exercise regime, they’re intelligent and need mental stimulation aswell, once they become bored destructive behaviour sets in [emoji33] Good luck.

[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252] [emoji252][emoji252]
Aww, THENA is beautiful!! It sounds you are doing great with her!! Being retired is even better... you'll have a very close bond. Always keep your eyes[emoji102] on her whether inside or outside. (I do that with my two still always.) You don't want her eating rocks && things. We designated a place in our yard for the dogs to dig, and they use it (along with other spots).[emoji23]
Great advice given above.
[emoji191][emoji252][emoji295]️[emoji4]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

hello and welcome!  I think the digging thing is a phase for young pups.  Mine would constantly want to dig in the mulch resulting in mud everywhere!  Luckily he grew out of it but given the opportunity he would love to

Welcome to husky owners [emoji3]

Mine turned our garden into something vaguely resembling the surface of the moon when they were pups [emoji23]

They don’t seem to do it too much anymore but on the rare occasion they do dig, it usually seems to be when the ground is wet, usually around the spring time. We make sure to keep an eye out and don’t spend too much time out there as my garden is heavy clay soil, so it’s like a hipppos mud bath out there in the wet seasons.

Archived