Reas first vacation

Hello friends! I am planning to go out of state with my girl for four days. She is pretty well trained at home, she sleeps in her kennel, is potty trained, shes not really destructive... the first stop on our trip is a lake house resort. I'd like for her to be able to swim with us in the lake, and go on a canoe with us but also would like some sort of way to keep her leashed to me because she definitely WILL run off if unleashed.. (i plan on getting her a life jacket but she can swim very well and I will be watching her 100% of the time). What would be the best way to  go about this? Is there a type of leash attachment that can hook onto me and onto her so I dont have to constantly hold the leash? 

The second stop is a trip to the mountians in a cabin. Shell enjoy hiking with us and the adventure but there will be times where she will be kenneled alone in the cabin while we do some non pet friendly activities such as hang gliding. and horse back riding. 

Shes not super high energy... I know she loves being in her kennel at home, but will she be okay in her kennel while were on vacation if we need to have her in it for a few hours for non dog friendly places? Shes never really been away from home and I'm worried about her freaking out because there really wouldnt be anything I could do once were there 🤷‍♀️

invest in a walking belt and a long line I would say...

keep as many of her own stuff, with all the smells of her, in the kennel so the kennel is still familiar to her...and do not stress she with latch on to that quickly and then you might have problems...

Yess! Thank you for that that walking belt was exactly what I needed but didnt know what to call it. :)

I'm bringing her kennel, kennel blanket and some of her favorite toys. I am hoping we wear her out so she doesnt have a chance to think about the fact that shes not home. But the drive alone is 8 hours so thats kind of scary..  she does well in cars when I see my mom (an hour drive) but havent taken her longer than that really

You are welcome that is what we are here for....

we travel a lot by car with ours and we have a rule...1,5 driving then a stop for stretching legs, pee break, and a drink/something to eat...and that is the dogs not us LOLOL  

Great to know ^.^ we are traveling from houston tx to Arkansas. Hopefully there will be a lot of good places to stop along the way. Shes pretty calm and lazy so I think shell do well in the car but I'm worried about her staying away from home.  I'm going to order the walking belt though so hopefully she will be able to swim and have fun, hopefully she doesnt break my hip  if she gets excited though 😂😂😂

Archived