New Husky dad!

SkySky

Hi folks

we have had a surprise new dog and have a few questions about her. She was our neices but have taken her in as her toddler was winding her up too much.

firstly, what type of husky is she?

our neice says not to let her off the lead on walks, can they be trained well?

Harness or collar lead?

Apparently meat makes her go bonkers, is that usual?

Any tips for newbies?

Thanks!

EDB82F7D-CE5B-4BBB-A752-1CE01CEB9DCB.jpeg

5ACDE626-5B71-4B3A-80B9-ABD215AFD7CF.jpeg

how do you mean type of husky?

offlead is a no no unless in a secured fenced in area...some people say they can be trained but the majority will say no

I would do a harness rather then a collar

meat..never heard of that...is it raw mean not cooked ?

go to the shop and get a bag full of patience and use it hourly....

oh and  1070950024_HOWelcome.jpg.8e2dbb070488e45396b2565d3baa15c0.jpg   TO  1523659820_HOBanner.thumb.png.29bac48053111b1e9f1a21b5d26c1715.png

Hi, do you mean Siberian or Alaskan husky? Looks Siberian to me, she’s gorgeous.
As rob says, no for off lead, all kinds of problems and dangers when off lead, for her safety keep her on a lead and I’d say a harness is better than just a collar and lead.
When you say meat makes her bonkers, is that meat for meals or prey on walks?

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

As above, never ever let a husky offlead unless it’s a secure fenced area, and a secure harness is best one that they can’t back out of
Certain food can make dogs go bonkers, with mine it’s bananas! Has she been raw fed before?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Welcome to the pack
There's only one breed of husky which is the siberian
And Alaskan husky is a type not a breed and an Alaskan malamute is a different breed completely :) mine love their meat but I wouldn't say they go bonkers over it lol

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Welcome to husky owners [emoji3]
As mentioned above, the Siberian husky is the only breed of husky.
Your neice is right and they are best kept on the lead.
Harness over a collar for me personally.
Meat is a high value treat so I can easily imagine that she’d be very excited for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks for the replies, I thought I had replied last night on my phone but looks like it didn't go through.

I am ordering a harness and also a gel cooling mat, anyone tried those?

Apparently she is very stubborn with food, will not eat for days if she thinks you will just keep feeding her treats!  The Harringtons dry food looks bland so I don't blame her but at this stage we don't want to rock the boat what with her being in a new home.

Also she used to jog with her so I may try that when the UK heatwave has subsided. She is beautiful, just trying to suss her out gently. I've heard reiki can be helpful for dogs so I might try a session of that with a local practitioner.

[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252] [emoji252][emoji252]
SKY is a stunning girl!! Taking her on walks with you will help her get some of that Husky energy out of her. Also, playing doggy games will be great for mental stimulation.
Any type of meat will give her lots of energy because of all the protein in it, which she needs.
It's great you're getting a harness for her!!
[emoji295]️[emoji191][emoji252][emoji169]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks, that's one other thing I was going to mention - she doesn't really play at all! We think she's about 4 or 5 but doesn't seem bothered with toys or balls, and our niece said she has never really. Some people say she's like a zen dog - calm and meditative!

Archived