Husky mouthing hard and tugging on clothes

lisa42

Hi,

Me and my sister just re-homed this 8 month old husky mix. It's been about 3 weeks and he's been really great up until a few days ago where he would start mouthing very hard and tugging on clothes really hard. We tried turning around to ignore him to send a message that it is not okay behavior but he starts tugging even harder on the back of our shirts. We take him on 2 long walks to the park to play fetch everyday and try to do obedience training with him at least once a day. This has actually happened at the park while I was playing fetch with him and also when I was doing obedience training. We've also tried redirecting him to a toy but he will just go back to tugging on clothes. We're just kind of at a loss here. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

you running away makes it a game for him so that is the opposite that you should do... sounds to me that he is just bored and wants to play and you and your sister are the chosen ones...

try getting him mentally tired with more training, you can try han target training for instance makes them more tired then walking or any other excersise...  a link with more infor for you https://positively.com/dog-behavior/basic-cues/hand-target-training/ . 

10 minutes ago, robke said:

you running away makes it a game for him so that is the opposite that you should do... sounds to me that he is just bored and wants to play and you and your sister are the chosen ones...

try getting him mentally tired with more training, you can try han target training for instance makes them more tired then walking or any other excersise...  a link with more infor for you https://positively.com/dog-behavior/basic-cues/hand-target-training/ . 

Thank you very much for the reply!

This happened actually today when I was teaching him target training. I will keep trying to practice those with him but it get very discouraging when my arm gets all bit up.

Keep a long house line on him as soon as he starts a firm AHAH noise and remove him from the room till he's calm , then let him back in , if he does it again he goes back into the room and repeat until he realises that nipping/mouthing means the 'fun' stops

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

To avoid this dominant behaviour which is very common in small pups and older dogs, if it hasn't been curbed, you clip on a lead and walk them quietly from the room; no words; just put them into another room and shut the door; give them three or four minutes, provided all is quiet.. wait for them to be quiet.. then come back in and let them out no lead; the minute they start again you click them on walk them out. This is rejection to them; their behaviour is undesirable so they're being removed. The mum in a litter pack would pick up a pup that was being over boisterous or over rough and remove it from the rest of the Pack repeatedly and this is where they learn their social manners .. so you're going to have to do this now.  

It works with any undesirable behaviour that you don't want and if you have to muzzle them - even that would be a last resort in my case, but they would soon learn that they lose freedom when they are misbehaving or acting in a bad light to you ..  you're in charge.. good luck.. this should work just be consistent.

The minute they start behaving nicely when they come back into the room you can reward immediately with a little treat (make sure you have them in your pocket) and say 'good dog be nice' .. if they start misbehaving again no words clip-on the lead walk them out. Goid Luck!

Successdigs.com

Absolutedogs.com

Training will reward both !

Archived