Puppy toilet training

Beverley

Hi I have an 8 week old husky pup and he’s pooping in the house I take him out every hour sometimes more frequent he does sometimes cry just before a poop but any advice would be great I know he’s not to get it over night and that I have to get up at night with him to take him outside so please friendly advice. Oh and his poop has been quite runny today. He’s on wagg puppy dry food. 

78D772CE-9CDE-4E62-8AEC-12A056865DCF.jpeg

Welcome to the forum

If he’s getting runny poop that could make things harder and increase accidents. Sometimes reducing the food amount a little helps, rice and chicken can help firm things up, making sure he’s up to date with worming is a good idea as that can cause upset tums too. Also the stress of a change of environment (going to a new home) Can initially present with a bit of runny poop too.

Ice was on wag when we first got him, it didn’t suit him at all. Oddly enough the one food he could handle (and we tried many, trust me) was tins of chappie. Doesn’t smell too great but it is quite gentle on tums. Any change of food though needs to be done gradually over the course of a week or two. Sudden changes can make things worse.

With toilet training. Keep taking out often, maybe every half hour and particularly after sleeping/eating:playing. Plenty of praise when they go to the loo outside and quietly clean it up when they have an accident indoors with a cleaner designed to break down the enzymes in animal wee etc... (can get one in a blue tub from pets at home).

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

As Emma said it took ours a while to get toilet trained, we'd come home when she was 3 months old to poops on our couch [emoji28]funny now when I look back. Important not to get upset when they go inside as they think it's what they are meant to do. Ours got it eventually and even when we moved house she knew exactly where to go toilet

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks both much appreciated it’s the night that’s the worst with him he’s great in day time but he seems to poop loads at night, he’s up to date with worming, and I did find that if I feed him little less his poop isn’t as runny (sorry tmi) but I know he will get there in the end I just haven’t got much patience when you have lack of sleep. Thanks again 

@Beverly ~ I would definitely take a stool sample to your Vet to be checked for worms and/or bad bacteria.
Also, when you take your baby out to potty, say, "Let's go potty." When he does potty, say "Good Boy, good potty" (lots of praise).
Puppies do have lots of accidents, but if they have worms/bacterial infection, they cannot control their bowels well at all.
Hope this helps.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji272]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived