Separation Anxiety

Alex1995

Hello all!

This is my first post on here so hopefully I’m doing this right. :) My husband and I have a one and a half year old male husky named Kai. He loves every person and dog he meets and we are so lucky to have found him. 

We recently moved from Indiana to Washington state and we are loving it so far! Kai man has gotten to go on hikes and the climate is so much better for him. Unfortunately the move has seemed to make him form separation anxiety anytime we leave our apartment. He has been kennel trained from when we got him as a puppy and has always loved having his own space. However, now anytime we leave the apartment he barks, whines, cries, digs amongst other signs of separation anxiety non-stop until we return. We have tried taking kennel training back to the basics, but he still seems to love his kennel as long as someone else is home. We have tried to make his kennel as inviting as possible with a comfy cover, toys he only gets when he’s in the kennel, and yummy snacks. We also put a blanket to cover three sides of the kennel (leaving the door  side exposed). We also always leave a TV on to help drown out any outside noise and also so it’s not painfully silent for him. Also, we make sure to exercise him before leaving.

We are worried about Kai’s health and well-being. Just as concerning is that we are now in an apartment and are worried about noise complaints from our neighbors. We are trying to get him into a vet, but would love to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to help us all.

Thank you! 

I would start with re-training with leaving the house...starting with 5 secs then building that up. but doing it differently as you have done before... we use a watch the house and a treat, when we come back it is, watched the house for me and a treat...

Yup, moving can make dogs feel insecure. As above, especially the neighbour thing: get them on-side by helping you with when he makes a noise, or at least sympathetic (plus explaining that it won't last for too long)

Archived