Gross question: has anyone ran into this, apple like seeds in the poop

2Huskyfun

Personally, think the white rice-like objects are rice grains (they can't digest rice, like all carbs - it's used as a bland 'filler') and the 'tapeworm' probably isn't a tapeworm as they drop off just segments of themselves (unless for some reason the whole tapeworm's died and has been excreted). But, definitely worth worming - though we only worm ours about once every 6-9 months, despite being raw-fed, as I know the source of all their food plus I keep a close eye on their weight (worms cause weight loss)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep... No tapeworms! A matter of fact, our animals don't get worms here because of our climate. *that is what I thought and why none of my dogs in the past have ever been wormed. Like the doc said, really wish it was worms because that would be an easy fix* I so wanted to believe that they had worms!!!!

They were tested for everything under the sun today. Doc says they have Giardia and coccidia, which is not common. 

Both pups are now on anabiotics, a heartworm medicine (that is known to kill all  parasites and is the least  abrasive med) and a  prescription probiotic. 

The doc is also very concerned with them not being able to  absorb  nutrients. There was a lot of undigested food. The girl has a slight  heart murmur. They both haven't gained the weight they should have. 

Meds for three weeks. Figure out a diet that works and will correct the damage done. *cannot be raw/ their immunity has been  compromised and we can't chance it*

My poor babies. They are out from all the shots and test that were done. 

Oh no. I'm so happy you took them to the Vet. Giardia is no fun and can cause weight loss. Your babies should start feeling better here soon with the meds. The prescribed probiotics are great for them.
You should notice a difference with a better appetite and more energy from them.
Praying they get to feeling better soon.
[emoji169][emoji191][emoji191][emoji295]️

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank You so much...

They have a huge appetite. Because they were not getting the nutrition they needed.

I really wish it was just worms. 

The doc said we should know in about 3 days but made me aware of how it could come back because we have no clue how they got it and of complications later on. 

Fingures crossed the meds work and They start get the nutrition they need and Theia's heart  murmur goes away.

Just a quick update.

Pups are doing good on the meds. Their stool is firming up. 

I switched them to hopefully what I think is a good puppy food that also addresses their GI  sensitivity. 

The docs they are under weight but not by enough to cause any issues.

However, when I took them in on Thursday, the doc gave them final round of shots plus kennel cough and one for the flu. (The flu hit our area bad this year) I think since they were already fighting something and the fact that all their shots were given at one time, their poor little immunity couldn't take it.

So, now we are dealing with kennel cough. It's not bad and the pups are  acting fine besides sneezing and coughing. Plenty of energy and eating normally. 

Aww, poor pups. They're having a right old tough time of it! Have all the sympathy in the world, having contracted Giardia myself - probably from the Lassi drink when we did Everest Basecamp trek. The drink was good, the results days later (long incubation period) not so good! 😀

Thank you,

Hopefully they are getting all their sicknesses out of the way now. LOL 

Sorry to hear you had Giardia. But that is a cool way to get it if there is such a thing. 

I got  E. coli drinking out of a hose working at a show kennel. Took three trips to the ER before they finally figured it out. Uggg. 

Knowing the pups are going through it or at least something similar breaks my heart.

If you wanted to try a little raw mixed in just buy human grade and mix just a little with their regular food. See how they go, keep them grain free if you can. Dogs fed on a raw diet tend to have much firmer poop. Maybe start by buying a chicken breast and cut it up fairly small. Bear in mind that vets don’t learn about pet nutrition at vet school so most of what they “know” comes from dog food reps who try to get them to stock their particular brand. Royal Canin is one and Hill's Science diet another, they apparently can make a kibble that deals with every dog ailment going, how is that possible? I read somewhere on the forum that if you check the ingredients on all the different packets they are actually all the same so it’s a bit of a con.

I hope your pups turn the corner soon, it can’t be any fun for either of you constantly having gut issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. 

When we stable I will definitely look into it.

Luckly my regular vet doesn't care if I do raw and admitted that I would have to do my research to in sure the % is right. Did only caution it because my stepdaughter has CF.

He even wouldn't recommend a brand of dog food. Just wants the pups to get on something besides the chicken and rice.

I found Blue  Buffalo Limited Ingredients puppy for  sensitive GI. 

The US has too many brands claiming one thing or another but all have the same ingredients.

So, once I get them through this we will look into it.

One of mine was very ill last year, he wouldn’t eat anything and he’s a foodie, I made him mashed sweet potato and white fish and he loved it, it was the only thing he’d eat, just a thought for your 2 if you want to try something other than chicken and rice.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

How much sweet potato would you give a 22 pound pup?

I am pushing the dry food. Faster then I would like! But they are not  digesting the rice and are acting like they are starving. 

I have broken up feedings to 4 x a day. For dinner they got 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup dry. Their stool is holding some shape. But I think tonight's dinner is going to push it.

Because they are a little behind from being sick,  I am trying to split 3 cups dry and 3 tablespoons into 4 feedings.

@2HuskyFun ~ Hi!! Are you only feeding your pups 3 cups of dry food a day??
(My ARMANI at 4 mths old, I was feeding him 5-6 cups of dry puppy food a day. He was mega active as a puppy and needed that much.)
I think you should increase their food intake, especially since they are a little under weight. I think it's good that you're adding the rice to help bulk up their stool some after being sick. With them playing so much, I'm sure they are active little rascals!!
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived