Gross question: has anyone ran into this, apple like seeds in the poop

2Huskyfun

I am sure most have read about my pups and their  permanent diarrhea issues. LOL

But this is a first....

I had them solid for a few days but then went to puppy class. The instructors had us practicing brushing their teeth. I knew better then to give my pups the toothpaste but did it anyways so I wouldn't be rude. Sure enough the worst watery diarrhea for two days.

On day two I skipped their dinner and started the chicken/rice/pumpkin mix the next morning that I have always used and the pups know all so well.

Today is day two on the mix. There poop is of good texture. They are passing some stuff that I know they ate last week. 😡 But I am noticing something new.

1st, it is half green. (Light green) Dogs have not been in grass for at least 6 weeks now.

2nd, I am noticing brown apple like seeds in the poop. A good amount of them. But the pups have not ever been in contact with an apple. 

Because of the regular diarrhea the pups have they have not even been for walks in about a month. 

I am watching the boy for dehydration issues from this last bout of diarrhea. 

We have had an appointment scheduled to see the vet for their last set of shots for Thursday. So I will have the vet check this out.

But I was  curious to see if anyone else has dealt with this? Nothing online matches what Is going on.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_1863.thumb.JPG.cc8b42f92526ccd94c9da2a6c38a3754.JPG

hehheee.

upper left is a string from the cat tree. Upper center is half of a notebook paper. 

I picked out some of the seeds (upper right)

It was somewhat solid but soft before I went digging in it. 🤢

Larger white  specs are rice. But the smaller white specs I think is worms. 

I just opened a pouch of the pumpkin I give them and there are no seeds. I have never seen seeds in a pouch. 

I think they look like apple seeds.

I am waiting for their afternoon poop. Normally around 1:30 (in about 45 minutes)

They are both acting very normal. I am at a lost.

Complete mystery. 🤔

One mystery solved:

The biscuits I feed has flaxseeds in them. LOL 

Why they put whole flaxseeds in the treats is beyond me. Not even humans can digest it. 

Now I just need to figure out what is causing the green.

@2HuskyFun ~ Hello!!
I see the stool[emoji90][emoji851]!! You said there was also white rice in it. But the rice should have digested and not be seen. If you still see "white rice" in the stool, that is usually the description for "Tapeworms" and causes diarrhea. I believe it comes from fleas in the grass. Then if a dog eats a flea that's on them, they will get Tapeworms.
I think you mentioned your pups have to get another series of shots. You can always take "fresh" stool samples of both dogs to your Vet to be checked. [With my male, we had a heck of a time getting rid of puppy worms. He had Tapeworms (white looking rice), Roundworms & Hookworms all after one another. He ended up having to get "5" rounds of Deworming Meds versus the standard series of 3.]
It's always good to get stool samples throughout puppyhood because puppies want to eat dirt, grass, sticks...everything!!
I hope this is helpful.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Very helpful!

I only did one deworming. Never had an issue with worms with any of my other dogs. Even the ranch dogs. Plus the vet never brought it up. We don't have fleas here in the desert but definitely could be worms.

But then again I never had dogs that ate and  swallowed  everything. 

It would explain a lot. I thought it was strange that they kept having white specs in every poop, lots of diarrhea, and the boy vomits now and again.

I keep taking stool samples in and they kept coming back negative. Something tells me they aren't really checking it. (Kids working for them). I will make sure to get a new test done on Thursday. Doesn't make me happy that my babies are suffering from something that could have been resolved awhile ago.

Thank you

That's great you're taking samples in.[emoji4] *When you take a sample in, take the entire [emoji90] pile. (I think the Vet puts the [emoji90] in a salt bath and, if any worms, they come to the top.)
*Also, another reason for diarrhea is where puppies/dogs can get Giardiasis (or Giardia), which is an infection of parasites and/or bacteria. Giardia symptoms are diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and weight loss. (I mentioned that because when we got our female Husky (8mths old) from the rescue, she had bad diarrhea. We had her [emoji90] tested, and she had Giardia. The Vet put her on deworming meds & antibiotics to get rid of it.
*If one of your pups would have any worms or bacteria, check with your Vet to see if "both" dogs need treated to stop any contamination.
I'm no [emoji90] expert[emoji23][emoji23], but I went through this not so long ago with my two (now a 2yr old and 1yr old). Also, it's great you brought this subject up because we have lots of young puppies on here, and it helps others learn as well. Though dogs of all ages can get this stuff.
Keep us posted with how your puppies are doing. I'm happy to help.
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji191][emoji259]

Absolutely,

I went back out and checked a  fresh one.

IMG_1865.thumb.JPG.8e328be7e4e42eb8ecae11ada8e33982.JPG

Both dogs have white specs. Some are perfect thin disc and others are a little longer tube shaped. So weird.

IMG_1866.thumb.JPG.0e3ac458650c29b7d1830680d565f73f.JPG

Nothing moving though.

I hope this posting does help others with pups or have questions about this. 

Since they are acting totally normal,  I didn't think anything of it and would have let it go if it wasn't for the seeds and green tent. 

Everything happens for a reason. I will update after we go to the vets on Thursday.

Thanks again.

Aww, your welcome!![emoji4] Oh, and when you take the stool samples, take the "entire" piles. That way, in case there is a second type of worm, it would be hopefully caught. (My ARMANI had two kinds of worms at the same time.) But I'm sure those are tapeworms.
Also, your post is a great reminder for all of us to check our dogs' [emoji90][emoji851] from time to time.
Have a great night!![emoji169][emoji191][emoji191][emoji491][emoji491][emoji169]

p.s. I'm ANGIE (ARMANI[emoji191] & ALINAH [emoji191])[emoji171]

you should worm dogs every 3 months at least, puppies need working every few weeks as they eat everything will even eat thier own poop and reinfect themselves

just get a broad spectrum vet strength (over the counter stuff at pet stores tends to be rubbish)

I am learning that. Wish someone would have said something sooner. 

Luckly their own poop is the one thing my pups won't eat. LOL They are stuck up that way. 

They will be getting a full work up Thursday. Everything will be checked. I am too paranoid about them having an obstruction or anything.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Definitely worth doing the wormer. But if after that you still find rice or other grains, it can be due to the fact that grains take a while to digest and when you get “the runs” food moves through your GI tract faster so not everything is properly digested. Grains and skins of fruit and veg seem to be the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

It's confirmed. For the boy at least. 

Just pulled a tape worm out of him. Can't believe we are just now seeing them. 

My poor baby.

For the new puppies:

It looked like just some poop stuck on his But. When I  wiped it off this is what it was. 🤢🐛

IMG_1867.thumb.JPG.bfbe64ec5dfc87e4a969f9f36f408be8.JPG

So maybe the string in the first pic was a tape worm.?.

Now everyone in the family is freaking out that they could get it. LOL. I know there is a possibility but kids are sooo  dramatic.

I'm glad it is confirmed.[emoji4] You might want to treat both your pups. That's what we do...if it happens. Tell your family to wash their hands frequently until treatment is done.
So happy you figured it out!! Your puppies will start to feel better.
Happy puppies, happy family!!
[emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252][emoji491][emoji491][emoji39]

P.S. Oh, and try to clean up their[emoji90] every time they go so they don't get a reoccurrence while being treated. [emoji4]

O ya, they all went running for the showers. Hahhaa

If anyone gets it, it will be me. (Wouldn't mind loosing a few pounds 🤣)  I am the one that digs through their 💩's every time. 🤢

The dog door is next to the  couch in the living room, so I know every time they go out and it gets picked up  immediately. If not, the smell would come into the house. Cool but strange setup. (Re-sale value 🤔, pups come first)

Called the vet and nothing I can do tonight but keep them comfy.

What do you guys think of Goats milk and  holistic stuff???

I am really thinking that I am going to switch them to a raw diet.

There are lots of people on here who feed raw that have lots of varieties so dogs get all vitamins & nutrients.
As for the Hollistic home remedies, etc., there are some who use the Hollistic approach to treat ailments, illnesses, etc. (Please be careful though because some of that stuff can be hard on dogs' kidneys/organs.) I'm always scared to get into that stuff & "experiment" for the dogs & prefer talking to the Vet. But I do give mine dog MultiVitamins & Probiotics.
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji191][emoji169]

Some of the stuff that is suggested does scare me.

I personally have not even taken a pain pill in over 3 years, nothing even for colds. My husband and I go rounds about it. LOL. I know how to use it for humans. But pets are a totally different thing. Like Wormbark and other stuff can be very harmful if not given in the right dose. But I did use Frankincense on a seizure dog and it worked....

We are going to do the vet deworming but I am looking to block or help with the side effects from it and offer them a healthier option in nutrition for the future.

Maybe just because they have worms... but the boy's coat is not shiny and he has bad dandruff. They both have red where there should be white in their eyes. So wired... 

52 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Some of the stuff that is suggested does scare me.

I personally have not even taken a pain pill in over 3 years, nothing even for colds. My husband and I go rounds about it. LOL. I know how to use it for humans. But pets are a totally different thing. Like Wormbark and other stuff can be very harmful if not given in the right dose. But I did use Frankincense on a seizure dog and it worked....

We are going to do the vet deworming but I am looking to block or help with the side effects from it and offer them a healthier option in nutrition for the future.

Maybe just because they have worms... but the boy's coat is not shiny and he has bad dandruff. They both have red where there should be white in their eyes. So wired... 

try gettinga  bottle of cod liver or salmon oil from the pet store,

If your puppies' eyes whites are red, they could be pretty dehydrated from having diarrhea from the worms. The Vet can check to see how dehydrated. Put out water for them 24 hours... that's what I do.
*You could always feed both dry food and put some raw food in their diets. I know some who do both. (Just give the raw food at a separate time from their dry food.)
Try the cod/liver oil or salmon like@PaulG said. Plus it's good for them!!
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji191]

I knew the boy was pushing the dehydration limits since this last  bout of diarrhea. He seemed to have snapped back after the second fasting. When the diarrhea slowed. But then he started with pooping just jelly.

They have a 2 gallon filter water system that is always full and available. They also get ice cubes whenever they want. I also put no sodium brooth in their food.

After a little bit of a long night being on poop watch to get samples for the doc today and the boy throwing up, they are acting normal. Playing and zoomies and ate all their breakfast. 

The sodium brooth is probably making them even more dehydrated. Anything high in salt will do that. I know you're trying to help replace their fluids. They both may need a Glucose IV to fill them back up. Check with your Vet today when you take them their.
Also, you could have the Vet check for other types of worms, parasites & bacteria along with the tapeworms you know they have. That can happen...it did with mine once.
Mine love ice cubes too!! It's been in the 90s until today.
Good luck today!![emoji4]

Archived