Pregnancy

James1976

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome!

Sorry to say I really have no experience in this field. 

I remimber when I was little my parents breed Akitas. But don't remember much other than my mother taking the pups away so the mom wouldn't eat them. But that might have just been that female's issue.

Hopefully someone will be able to assist.

Hello @James1976

Congratulations on your fur babies pregnancy!!! She looks very comfortable laying there by the fire! 

Do you know your estimated due date and how many pups you're having!? My girl had puppies 6 weeks ago today - it's all still quite fresh in my mind!! 

Have either you or your other half bred before or first time for everyone? Happy to help with any questions you might have as I've been through (still going through) it all recently :)

Louise

Hi Louise, we've had no experience at all, in fact we only discovered the pregnancy last week. Sky's never been a bouncy dog she's always been very laid back. It was only her nipples swelling that prompted a visit to the vets and it was quite a shock albeit a nice shock. So we haven't had much time to do any real research. We've set up a comfy area for her to give birth which she is constantly in and out of. I was wondering if there are any signs to look out for so we know it's happening? We're expecting around 6 puppies due in the next few days. Very excited! 

1 minute ago, James1976 said:

Hi Louise, we've had no experience at all, in fact we only discovered the pregnancy last week. Sky's never been a bouncy dog she's always been very laid back. It was only her nipples swelling that prompted a visit to the vets and it was quite a shock albeit a nice shock. So we haven't had much time to do any real research. We've set up a comfy area for her to give birth which she is constantly in and out of. I was wondering if there are any signs to look out for so we know it's happening? We're expecting around 6 puppies due in the next few days. Very excited! 

oh wow! So unplanned pregnancy as well? Don't worry - everything is going to be fine!

Soooooo familiar with that! We only found out a week or so before Ghost gave birth. Do you know who daddy is, so to expect any sizing problems? 

So you've got your whelping box sorted, we did purchase a whelping kit in case she got in to trouble and of course had the vets on standby as soon as it happened. 

The night before Ghost gave birth she was taking her toys into her whelping box - she took 8 toys and we had 5 puppies.. so don't let internet rumours say toys = puppies! She only left the box to get a toy. 

A few hours before she was incredibly anxious - paced up and down, extremely uncomfortable, sitting, standing, laying, rolling around, she vomited on the floor as well - this is all normal behaviour. 

Your pooch should do most of the work herself, i.e. cord cutting, sack breaking, cleaning - but do be on standby with gloves on to assist. Our last pup breached half way out and we had to help guide it out and also had to help remove collapsed sack from the pups mouth. It sounds more scary than it is - trust me. You just know what to do. 

During birth, we left the pups already born feeding on Ghost, she was happy and capable to have them feeding while she was birthing.

1 puppy for ghost took 40 minutes from initial contractions to be in the world, from when we saw the sack about to come out it took about 20 minutes. Have a notepad and pen handy so you can note the times, if she looks exhausted and too tired to continue, you may have to consider taking her in the vets as she may be clogged or just exhausted.

Look out for placentas - remember a placenta per pup. Ghost ate all 5 placentas, generally this isn't recommended as it is a lot of blood. We didn't have a choice as it was out of her in and back in again with seconds. 

Have LOADS of water on standby for her to drink, thirsty work, and cleaning puppies probably doesn't taste very nice! We had slushy puppy food on standby as well and offered to her throughout, she'll eat what she wants when she wants it. 

Water is a biggy throughout the next few weeks, your mama dog will eat and drink everything that comes out of your puppies, wee is very acidic and will hurt her tongue, offer her the water bowl every time she does this to help ease it. 

You will probably find that she will not want to leave the puppies voluntarily to eat, drink or go to the toilet herself. Food and water should be offered to her in the box for her to have with her puppies. Toileting you should take her outside as normal, choose a time when the pups have just fed and are milk drunk - you will need to be pushy, every noise they make she will try to go back to them.

Post birth, your mumma dog will bleed. It's a lot of trauma down there and will take a few weeks to recover, so expect blood while toileting and for her to drip occasionally, she should keep herself clean though. Her first number two after birth will probably be quite black with blood. Again - think of the placenta's she eats. 

I can PM you my number and happy to keep in contact throughout. We've had an experienced breeder help us through ours so can offer you some really good advice if you'd like it. 

Louise

Well we wanted another dog as company for sky and the vet advised a boy, so we got a puppy. Turned out Corbyn was a bit more company than we expected! He's staying with friends at the moment as he is full of beans and we are trying to keep everything nice and calm. He's only 10 months old. 

We've got the vets on standby and they have told us of potential problems etc, but like you have said sky should be OK to deal with everything herself and we should try and remain calm and provide water etc. 

I'm a little concerned over her appetite she's gone right off her food, a few mouth fulls and that's it. Was your dog the same? 

20180510_194733.jpg

Oh what a cutie! Naughty cutie, but definitely a cutie! You're going to have gorgeous pups, with his markings and her gorgeous white fur. 

Yes, Ghost went off it completely leading up to d-day, a few mouth fulls, a few licks - that was it. I'll try and get the video up here of her taking her fav toys up, it was quite amusing to watch, but did scare us a bit as knew it was close! 

Attached are pics from birth, a video of her taking her fav toy and also what the little poops look like now at 6 weeks old. 

We have Vizsla crosses - accident at doggy day care! 

dfc908f6-6c39-4be8-945f-1842d0f4eba6.jpeg

8736c79a-c25f-4fc4-9ddb-605c770af185.jpeg

Wow they are adorable! I'm even more excited now, nervous but excited. Ghost looks lovely and a great mum

It's a beautiful and humbling experience to witness. It really is. Dogs are so instinctual, and just do. It's amazing. Ghost was a great mum even though she is only a year and a half herself. I'm sure Sky will be just the same. 

Please keep us updated on her progress and when the pups arrive, can't wait to see your little jelly beans!

Good luck with the birth, remain calm for your pooch and be there for her, that's all she needs. Call your vet when you spot her contracting so they are ready just in case. Everything will be fine.

Have your plan ready in case things do go south, but I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Just remember: pacing, anxiety, unable to get comfortable, vomiting, toys are all signs that she is ready to go :).

Hi Louise, just a quick pupdate no arrivals as yet. But sky has started burying her favourite sausage rolls around the garden 😀😀 she seems to have doubled in size over night and is sleeping much more than normal. Hopefully not long now. Will keep you posted. 

Hi Louise, just a quick pupdate no arrivals as yet. But sky has started burying her favourite sausage rolls around the garden 😀😀 she seems to have doubled in size over night and is sleeping much more than normal. Hopefully not long now. Will keep you posted. 

Hahaa! Definitely not long! How's her milk production going? You could really see Ghost start to swell with milk 2-3 days before birth. I've put two more pics up, sleepy one was the Friday before birth - could barely keep her eyes open. Where she is belly up, and wanting tummy rubs that was 2 days before d-day, you can she's starting to have little boobies fill with milk ready! 

Can you feel and see the puppies moving and wiggling around? Our got really active before as well. The burying the sausage rolls is a good sign though! 

Maybe weekend puppies!!! 

34559907_1694292570660890_7570938757617025024_n.jpg

34723663_1694292527327561_8932441234375442432_n.jpg

Yes she definitely swelling in that area, possibly leaking slightly as we can see where she's been lying on the floor. Still loving her tummy rubs. 

The pups were active last night not so much today, but sky has been asleep for most of it. Kind of just letting sky do as age pleases, she's spending quite some time lying in the shade outside, protecting her sausages no doubt. 

20180607_112012.jpg

Aw bless her, she is looking quite big now! 😍 Ghost found the tummy rubs quite soothing, and spent loads of time outside under bushes and digging holes lol 

The sausages must be protected! So cute!!! 😍😍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Louise. The pups have finally arrived! It's been a long night but sky gave birth to 7 (3 girls & 4 boys) all doing really well. It was an experience I'll never forget, sky was the perfect mum and did everything herself. Thanks for all your help and advice. 

20180618_075934.jpg

2 minutes ago, James1976 said:

Hi Louise. The pups have finally arrived! It's been a long night but sky gave birth to 7 (3 girls & 4 boys) all doing really well. It was an experience I'll never forget, sky was the perfect mum and did everything herself. Thanks for all your help and advice. 

20180618_075934.jpg

Hi James! Awww OMG they are gorgeous! Just love the markings on them all!!

Well done Sky and well done to both of you as well! Definitely never forget that experience! I'm so pleased everything went nice and smoothly for you and she took care of everything. 

Absolutely fantastic to hear! How is she doing herself? She looks very comfortable 😍

She's very tired and looks very thin. But she is doing really well and I'm very proud of her, the last couple of days have been noticeably uncomfortable. Being able to share the experience with her was such a wonderful thing and her motherly instinct was a wonder to witness. My partner wasn't overly keen on the idea of pups as it was a complete surprise, but she has already picked and named the one that will stay with us 😁😍

Little Bella

20180618_072445.jpg

Aw beautiful that you are keeping one! The interaction as they get older is fantastic to watch. It does just make you swell with pride watching your little fur baby have babies of her own! 

How is she eating and toileting? 

Something we hadn't considered which snuck up on us is their claws, watch out for them - as they will be kneading Sky's tummy and their's claws are little razor blades, we used a nail file just to flatten the tops to make is a bit more comfortable for her - that'll probably be in a couple of weeks. 

Super well done to you all! Such a stressful thing to prepare for and you've all done wonderfully. Happy to help with any next steps or any other advice you need - just a message away. 

Sky was fine toileting, we gathered up the pups into a box under the watchful eye of mum, then she went out to do her business, straight back in to be reunited with the little ones. She's not eaten a great amount just some chicken, not interested in puppy food etc, but like ghost, sky gobbled up all the gubbins before we had chance to remove them, so I'm guessing/hoping she'll try some food later. She's had plenty of water. 

Sky was fine toileting, we gathered up the pups into a box under the watchful eye of mum, then she went out to do her business, straight back in to be reunited with the little ones. She's not eaten a great amount just some chicken, not interested in puppy food etc, but like ghost, sky gobbled up all the gubbins before we had chance to remove them, so I'm guessing/hoping she'll try some food later. She's had plenty of water. 

They get them so quick don't they, forgive the phrasing; but it's out on end and straight in the other! 🤢

With the puppy food, trying softening it down with some hot water before feeding time we also used a royal canin puppy appetiser moose type thing mixed in - smells horrific, then we swapped her diet completely.

What is her normal food? We put Ghost on to a raw diet pretty quickly after their birth actually as we had some milk problems and she never touched the puppy food again as the raw gave her everything she needed, also gave her raw goats milk mixed with water. We have kept her on a raw diet and the pup we keep will be on it as well - as it's just amazing stuff. 

Glad she's toileting well, and she's straight back in there with them! I'm just so pleased for you!!!! 

Well sky has always been a fussy eater, she likes harringtons but prefers cooked chicken, sausages etc, with the pregnancy we have been going the extra mile and cooking meals for her but we really don't want to continue with that. What raw meat are you feeding ghost? 

Just now, James1976 said:

Well sky has always been a fussy eater, she likes harringtons but prefers cooked chicken, sausages etc, with the pregnancy we have been going the extra mile and cooking meals for her but we really don't want to continue with that. What raw meat are you feeding ghost? 

We use a local provider close to us that supplies Suffolk, Essex and Norfolk with frozen raw dog food. 
We started her on chicken & tripe (with offal and bone) and have now introduced duck, lamb and beef.

The actual raw food brand we use is Just Natural - our provider is called Primal Raw Ltd. 

It just comes in little plastic packets that we defrost and plop straight into her bowl - Ghost was always super fussy but she has never turned her nose up at the raw - took a little encouragement the first few bites, but cleans the bowl every single time now. They eat less of it as well (because it's so naturally rich and good for them) that they don't need as much so actually works out cheaper than other foods. 

Bonus point - makes their poo amazing to pick up! They are teeny tiny because there is hardly any wastage from it and they are solid as a rock because of the bone in the diet! She's never had a runny tummy on it either, and don't need to wean her on it, you can just swap it straight away because it is that good for them. 

I'm sure you'll be able to find a local provider that services your area.

I really can't sing raw's praise enough if I'm honest, Ghost is in fantastic shape with it - I wish we had done it sooner!

3 minutes ago, James1976 said:

Oh brilliant, I'll look into that. It would be great to see her really enjoy her meals, and the fact that it's full of good stuff for her is even better. Thanks Louise

No problem, happy to help. Here if you need anything else 🐶 

ps. Congratulations on becoming puppy grandparents 😂😍

Archived