Dog fight at my house-please help

Zoej

Casey my 4 mo old husky attached my 10lb Pomeranian today. He ripped his skin open near the neck, thank God he didn’t have adult teeth.  Casey is very food aggressive and thought Hershey had a milk bone treat. Hershey is still shaken up as this is his second dog attack. His previous owners pit bull attacked him. I am furious. I cannot have a dog that attacks. I feed them separately even treats. Casey has been pinning one of cats down and holding his head in his mouth. Please help. Where do I start?

Training! Find a professional to help you.

I reached out in this forum regarding concerns about my male starting to show signs of getting aggressive/ possessive. For some reason I can't find who it was....it was when I  introduced. I forgot what the training was called.

The suggestion really helped and it has cut back on his aggressiveness. But every  situation is different.

I basically have started training my male to stay away from the female while she is in her crate ( goes in with toys to be left alone and he used to go after her) Same with the cats spots.

We still have moments were he doesn't want to listen or he Challanges me.

Teaching the "leave it" command and "Nice" command. 

Found that it was easier to train him these right when he woke up. (That is when he is the sweetest)

Was it that he was playing or full at aggression? Mine play super rough and would hurt anything smaller without meaning to.

I can't show my frustration to my male. He gets challenging. Have to stay calm with no emotion in my voice. 

Please seek professional help. It will be worth the shot. Plus help the little one 

I hope the little one heals quickly. Physically and emotionally.

Thank you. Unfortunately it was not playing it was full on aggression. My little one won’t leave my side. It’s been a very upsetting ordeal for us all. I’m looking into training now even if he has to go away for some of it. I can’t traumatize my little one or cats anymore. Casey is very loving when he wants to be, even shares toys but when it comes to food he is a demon.

I completely understand! It really sucks when something like this happens.

I can't believe my  precious little male can be a demon either. My cats have  survived 150 pound wolf mix, 120 pound pointer mix, and a 55 pound mutt. But my two Sibes are giving them a run for their money. I constantly have to keep the dogs under watch with them.

I will be obtaining a professional trainner (coming from someone that has somewhat of an animal background-that hits the pride a little) once they have all their shots. It will be a full week of being at their  facility and then in house training. But the $500 will be worth it. *that is per dog per week*

My old kitties have been through a lot already and I will not give up on the pups. There is nothing wrong with seeking outside help.

Keep us posted. Good luck! Don't give up. 

Hi unfortunately huskies rarely mix well with small dogs and cats, did you research the breed before getting a husky?

You have to make a decision whether you are going to pay for a behaviourist or give him away. Be mindful though that giving him away would just be passing the problem onto someone else which usually results in them being passed from home to home. You would have to make sure they have experience of the breed and that they are aware of the issues, and know how to resolve them

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

A behaviourist is the better option rather than a trainer, I would also try feeding at slightly separate times to begin with so you can give full attention to Casey when it’s his feed time. Cai used to take Luka’s food so I started feeding Luka first so he could eat in peace then Cai, once Luka was less nervous and not rushing to finish his food I put them in the same room at opposite ends and stood in the middle, I did this for a couple of months to make sure he understood to leave Luka alone, at times he would attempt to take Luka’s food and I’d say ah ah leave Luka and he’d go back to his food. It takes time and patience to work on behavioural issues especially with husky’s. Casey is a baby still and prob trying to show who’s boss but it can be sorted out. I spent prob the best part of nearly 2 years training my 2 and it does pay off, try not to get frustrated use positive reinforced training, and it’s ongoing. Casey will co-operate given the time. Good luck and I hope your Pomeranian will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

It's not normal for a 4month old pup to attack did you get him from a reputable breeder? I would definitely look into a behaviourist more than a trainer
Hope your pom is ok I would eliminate ALL treats for both dogs until you can get the behaviourisy in , feed in separate rooms and keep dogs separate when you're eating also as just seeing a plate etc might trigger the response

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you all so much. I found a behaviorist/trainer facility near me and will be enrolling Casey in a 16 week training course then he’ll see the behaviorist. They come highly recommended from 4 families in my development who’ve had problems with their dogs. I’m very hopeful. I found another tear on Hershey’s head that I didn’t see last night. All cleaned up and neosporin being applied and he is his happy little self. They even laid on the couch together this morning while I was vacuuming. I’ve always fed food and treats separately but I think Casey smelled the treat on Hershey after he had eaten it.  Husband and I talked at length and decided rehoming him is out of the question. We’re dedicated to working with all the animals to ensure safety and well being. We’re turning a guest room into a dedicated cat room on the second floor and making a tall gate at the steps with a cat door so they can come up and down but Casey can’t. We did research the breed at length and figured with training and a careful eye we could manage. Food aggression can happen with any breed and we’re willing to put in the hard work to correct it. 

Just make sure they're a behaviourist who sees you in the home etc not one of these who takes your dog away for a week or so because you need to see the methods /techniques used and be confident in executing them, good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived