Leaving my boy while I go on holiday

MyloxGx

So I have just booked a holiday to go and visit my brother in America in September. It will be the first time I leave Mylo for longer then 4 hours since I got him a year and a half ago. I have arranged for him to stay at home and my dad will move in to be with him, I will be gone for 6 days. I know he is in good hands and his routine will not change other than myself and my partner will not be with him.

I am feeling very anxious about leaving him, mainly because I will miss him so much.

My main concern is I am not sure if he has separation anxiety or not. He is crate trained and is more then happy to go in his crate when I go to work, I tell him ‘mum is going to work’ and he goes and waits in his crate for his treat and seems fine while I am gone (feedback from the neighbours) but if I every leave the house even for a couple minutes to go to the car and he isn’t in his crate he howls the house down and gets very distressed and tells me off when I come back in. Is this a sign of separation anxiety that is only displayed because he is not in the safe environment of his crate?

Any advise would be great.

Mylo has met your dad before and liked him, yes? At least he'll have someone familiar. I wonder if he's howling and telling you off because when you leave the house not for work, he doesn't get a treat?

For me, my bigger concern would be worrying if the dad knows to leave all doors secured. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to ask my fiance's mother to mind the dog for the day. If my dog escapes, there's a chance of me calling her back. If she does while with someone else not very familiar to her, the chances are slim!

I think Mylo will adapt. Just be prepared for him to tell you off or give you the cold shoulder when you first come home from the trip.

I left the pups for the first time yesterday (alone) for 20 minutes and my family was laughing at me. (Left them today for 40 minutes) 

1 vacuumed the couch 2 locked the stove 3 cleared all counters 4 nothing in the sink 6 put child proof locks on all cabinets/doors 7 took collars off 

I will leave them with the oldest teenager.... I check in every 30 minutes. (She is always on her phone) LOL

One thing I am learning, you can only do what you can do. Outside that whatever happens happens and I am sure everything will be fine.

Sounds like it is just a brake in routine that gets him worked up. You put him in his crate before leaving for work and he is fine...So when you leave and he is out, it is out of routine. I am thinking it isn't anxiety (just a break in routine that upsets him)

He knows your dad. Just have your dad go over the commands with you there to ensure everyone is on the same page and make a check list for him to go over before he leaves the house.

I am sure you are having more anxiety then he is.... At least that is what the family says to me.

*last two times I left the pup I was in full panic. Came home to the pups laying quietly by the front door waiting for me* I was the one freaking and they were just fine. Nothing touched! LOL

what state in the US are you going? If you don't mind me asking

Mylo has met your dad before and liked him, yes? At least he'll have someone familiar. I wonder if he's howling and telling you off because when you leave the house not for work, he doesn't get a treat?
For me, my bigger concern would be worrying if the dad knows to leave all doors secured. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to ask my fiance's mother to mind the dog for the day. If my dog escapes, there's a chance of me calling her back. If she does while with someone else not very familiar to her, the chances are slim!
I think Mylo will adapt. Just be prepared for him to tell you off or give you the cold shoulder when you first come home from the trip.

Yes my dad regularly visits (he lives 3 minutes away) and they both love each other and they always have a lot of fun on their walks together (he helps out when I have been really busy with work.)
We have given a treat when we leave the house outside his crate to see if it makes a difference but he still does the same, it seems to be if he can see us leave he gets distressed (he sits on the chair next to the window and watches me go).
To be honest this is in the back of my mind (as it always is) as Mylo isn’t trained off lead and if he had the chance to run free he would, I think he would come back to me but not anyone else. My dad has promised that wouldn’t take any risks and that he fully understand the importance of making sure the front door is closed before the next it opened (lucky we have a small hallway between the front door and living room door) and checking the garden gate is properly locked etc. I do trust he will keep him safe and well, Mylo is like by baby so I guess I will worry no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
I left the pups for the first time yesterday (alone) for 20 minutes and my family was laughing at me. (Left them today for 40 minutes) 
1 vacuumed the couch 2 locked the stove 3 cleared all counters 4 nothing in the sink 6 put child proof locks on all cabinets/doors 7 took collars off 
I will leave them with the oldest teenager.... I check in every 30 minutes. (She is always on her phone) LOL
One thing I am learning, you can only do what you can do. Outside that whatever happens happens and I am sure everything will be fine.
Sounds like it is just a brake in routine that gets him worked up. You put him in his crate before leaving for work and he is fine...So when you leave and he is out, it is out of routine. I am thinking it isn't anxiety (just a break in routine that upsets him)
He knows your dad. Just have your dad go over the commands with you there to ensure everyone is on the same page and make a check list for him to go over before he leaves the house.
I am sure you are having more anxiety then he is.... At least that is what the family says to me.
*last two times I left the pup I was in full panic. Came home to the pups laying quietly by the front door waiting for me* I was the one freaking and they were just fine. Nothing touched! LOL
what state in the US are you going? If you don't mind me asking

I remember doing the 20 mins then 30 mins etc. When he was a pup in preparation for going to work the following week it was torture to leave him but he was fine.
Yes I think it probably is the break in routine and because of this he isn’t sure when I will be back like he does when I go to work.
My plan is to put him in his crate when we leave for the airport (my dad is taking us) and I will tell him I am going to work so hopefully he understands I will be back. Family and friends keep telling me he will be fine, it is just me that won’t be.
I have said I will be making a manual for him so he knows his routine, treats to have when, food etc. Family think I am joking about the manual lol

He will probably be fine and I am just getting anxious because I will miss his so much, I plan to check in every day to see how he is getting on so hopefully this helps.

We are going to Virginia, flying to Providence, from sunny Scotland [emoji23]

I think Mylo will be fine with your father.  I am sure you will miss him like crazy. I'll be doing the same thing at the end of June. I'll be leaving Olaf for 5 days. I wish he could stay with  my Mother, but she is not steady on her feet and she can't take care of him for walks or bathroom breaks.  I found a wonderful pet-sitter and she has experience with huskies. So, Olaf will be staying at her house while I am away. I am sure he will do fine. I think Olaf (and Mylo) may be upset that their routine has changed, and they will miss us, but they will bounce back and will be fine.

Kim

Virginia is gorgeous in September. I am originally from NC. I really miss that area!!! I have relatives all up and down the east coast. Can't wait to get back there.

You will have a great time. 

It sounds like you have everything planned and it will be fine... 

You still have time so don't stress yet. 

I think Mylo will be fine with your father.  I am sure you will miss him like crazy. I'll be doing the same thing at the end of June. I'll be leaving Olaf for 5 days. I wish he could stay with  my Mother, but she is not steady on her feet and she can't take care of him for walks or bathroom breaks.  I found a wonderful pet-sitter and she has experience with huskies. So, Olaf will be staying at her house while I am away. I am sure he will do fine. I think Olaf (and Mylo) may be upset that their routine has changed, and they will miss us, but they will bounce back and will be fine.

Kim

Yes I think we will probably miss them more than they miss us. That’s great you have a sitter in place, is it the first time you are leaving him?
I think because I am not leaving until September I have a long time to stew over it but I am trying to keep reminding myself that he will be fine and that his is in good hands.

Virginia is gorgeous in September. I am originally from NC. I really miss that area!!! I have relatives all up and down the east coast. Can't wait to get back there.
You will have a great time. 
It sounds like you have everything planned and it will be fine... 
You still have time so don't stress yet. 

My parents usually go over in September but I got in there first this year haha the last time I was over visiting was 7 years ago when he lived in New York, it was amazing, planning on a day trip to New York as my partner hasn’t been to the states before, really looking forward to it apart from leaving Mylo.

Ye I am trying to remind myself I have everything planned and I am sure he will be fine, I think I am stewing over it because it is still a while away. My dad has promised regular updates, pictures, videos and phone calls to help me enjoy my holiday and I will more than look forward to my cuddles when I get back home.

This will be my first time leaving Olaf for 5 days.  Recently, I had to leave him for 2 and 1/2 days to go out of town for a funeral. I took him to a boarding facility. He did ok, but he was mad at me for about a day after I brought him home. He wouldn't look at me or get too close to me. He was upset and he needed a little time and personal space in order to get over it. I think it will be a little different this time, though, since he will be in someone's home and will have attention 24 hours a day. 

My 2 go to kennels when we're away, Luka likes it and Cai hates it, he did sulk the first and second time we left them there but now they greet us very enthusiastically! Olaf will prob prefer to be in a house with 24 hrs attention, he'll be glad to see you when you pick him up [emoji240][emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• 3 years later...

As a parent I never leave my children alone at home, I just find it pointless and respectless. There is no question or doubt about why I shouldn't take my son or my daughter with me on the holiday, I believe is very good to enjoy with your whole family as long as you have them by your side. We were chilling here onholidays.com.au I wanna say how good it felt after 2 years to go with your family and take a rest after all this bad time during Corona Virus. My kids for 2 years didn't go anywhere because of Corona Virus, and now to not take them with me is just nonsense.