Hello!

Faye

Hiya, 

We are new to this group and new to being a husky owner! I love dogs and my boyfriends dream dog is a husky - so we are now the super proud owner of Loki a beautiful 9week old S.Husky pup. We picked him up just over a week ago and since then we have had lots of fun and giggles - but a LOT of problems, mainly crate training/nighttime. I am desperately seeking advice at night he will fall asleep in his crate and will be taken out twice throughout the night to toilet but he still cries all night and goes to the toilet in the crate making one stonking mess!! We have followed the advice from google, kennel club, vets, trainers (which a lot of it is the same) but still no progression at nighttime. We really don't want to be bad parents, but equally we don't want to give in and have short time gain and long term pain.

Any help or advice will be wonderfully received :) 

Faye, James & Loki. 

Welcome to the forum.   Lots of people on here have had great success with crate training  and will be able to help you  (I am not one of them).   When I got Marley he came with a crate  (he was 12 weeks old - a rescue believe it or not)  -  and as soon as he saw the crate he went ballistic.  biting at the bars, jumping up and throwing himself against them, howling and almost screaming in panic. He injured himself trying to get out.

Let him out and he was perfectly alright  -  we  never got to the stage of him not being frightened of it - no matter how many treats/toys ect were in there - he never went in of his own accord.   At 12 months old we threw it away - the crate, not Marley.

We paid the price though  ..................... he ate my first suite when he was getting his adult teeth.

The secret is lots of love and patience  -  you will be rewarded a thousandfold

5a8dbcee3a1dd_HOWelcome.jpg.db1ee822f6276f4fcd44b6ddaf98239f.jpg  TO  5a8dbcfaaeb50_HOBanner.thumb.png.3d2fdcb6a2b2a5c94d884c38ed9ebb77.png

I cannot help you either LOL mine are rescues and have full freedom of the house, only crated at the caravan and then they go in by themselves no training was required...

First two weeks was hell at night... Like having human newborns Twins LOL There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It can be done!

Mine ( 3 months today) sleep loose at night next to the air vents. (I did a doggie pin on the tile floor though and slept on the coach by them) I think it was just too hot at night in the crates. 

Set a schedule!

They also have separation anxiety from each other (downside of getting litter mates) and I can't be out of the males sight for too long. 

Slow and steady wins the race. 

So we started with them freaking out and I was afraid of them hurting themselves to now I can leave them in their crates for 20/30 minutes at a time with me not in the room. 

***I can't remember who it was but someone on this forum recommended a training technique for my male to stay away from the female while she was in her crate, it worked great!!! Thank you

*every Sibe is different so this may not work for you*

I placed mine in the middle of the living room with doors open. Husband was not thrilled with the new furniture layout  LOL

Once I noticed them checking it out (because their favorite treats were placed in the back) I started feeding them in it. Not closing the door at first. I also tried getting them out before they could have a chance to make noise.

Now when I prepare their food they both run to their crates.Happy place.

What I think really did the trick was teaching them set and down. Now when I feed them I give them the command to kennel, once they are in I would make them set, then feed them. Once they got that down I add down. So now they know they will not eat until they are in the crate and laying down quietly.

I then did this for the release. If they whined or got mouthy,  I would give first set and then built up to down. Now they know I won't give them the release until they are laying down quietly.

Started with random times of the day about 2/3 times a day. Started for one minute and now they are up to 20/30 minutes with no problem. They have also started going in on their own for nap time.

They still are not sleeping at night in their crates, which is not a priority for us. Just want them crated for when I have to leave for an hour or so to go to the store or a movie. Not there yet but getting there.

Hope this helps 

IMG_1799.JPG

At nine weeks we were still going potty outside every 2 hours ... but no accidents inside and no crate here either... added doggy door and now she sleeps outside until ready for bed.  Best of luck ! 

Archived