Sigh... poor Halo. Itching and a hot spot, all in her first week

Took Halo to her first vet visit with us Wednesday. She has been a bit sneezy and a bit itchy. She did not like the vet exam and had to be taken in the back for them to swab the ear she had been fiddling at over the past few days. Lots of husky shrieks :(. No ear infection but she needs ear drops for 7 days to clear up the irritation without making it worse. She hates her ear drops and fights with us, but we’re trying to get them done as quickly as possible. 4 more days of those.

Friday, we find a nice lovely weeping hotspot under her harness - back to the vet we go. They gave her an e-collar (as in the cone of shame) and a topical spray along with a couple of oral meds. That means we now have to corner her FOUR times a day to do something she hated while she’s still new to us and the house. Not fun. We tried to get a gentle leader head collar so she doesn’t pull on our walks for 2 weeks before she can wear the harness again, but she hated that too.

Guys, we couldn’t do the e-collar. It honestly seemed like animal abuse to see her tearing around and panicking. It didn’t fit nicely with her in her crate either - she could barely move, couldn’t get at her water though the orals make her thirsty, was whimpering as it banged around and trapped her, etc. I can’t imagine that they haven’t come up with a better solution for these things. I know sometimes you have to do them (post surgery, for instance) but for this? 

I got the topical on her today, and I’m just watching her like a hawk to stop the licking. The orals are already helping - I only caught her worrying at it once. We just carted her all over town with us and tired her out. She’s taking a nice long nap now, and then we’ll go for Round 2.

I just hate that there are so many things we have to force her into all at once. Praying for a quick recovery from this hotspot. I plan to desensitize her slowly to the e-collar once she’s better, but I’m only going to use it as a last resort for now.

Just wanted to share for some moral support. I’m hoping things go smoothly from here and we can work slowly on making her more comfortable with being handled for medicine, etc. 

The rescue recommended the Easy Walk Harness, so we’ve been using that. I took her out in the rain Wednesday (you saw my post about that too! And yes, she stopped smelling when she was dry) so if I have to guess, it’s my fault for not taking the stupid harness off to dry afterwards. 

Ok have a look at the vari-fit harness on https://indi-dog.co.uk/indidogusa they're padded and have a front and back ring to help with pulling , also always take harnesses off after a walk, the indi-dog ones are made to measure so might not rub as much

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Aww, have you tried giving her a treat after giving her meds?
Second the vari harness, I use them for my 2, I wouldn’t use any other now, excellent quality and I wash them regularly without them falling apart. Hope she gets better soon [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Rather than the cone of shame have you considered the medi vest? Depending where her hot spot is it fits like a jumper, we used one for Amy after her spay and it was great

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Maybe you can keep the cone off when watching her like a hawk🦅. Just so she doesn't feel trapped in that big lampshade cone thingy all the time. Then you can put it back on during the night (maybe let her lay in your bedroom vs her crate).
Did the Vet mention giving Benadryl for all the itching. For Benadryl, don't use more milligrams than her weight (i.e., if she weighs 50lbs, don't go over 50milligrams in one day. Of course check with your Vet in case he has her on other meds.
Also, did your Vet check her for a Zinc Deficiency with all the irritated hot spots??
You're sweet baby will get better before you know it. Praying for her!!
[emoji120][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

We did try treating her during and after the medicine - after is hard because she BOLTS as soon as she can. This AM she got anxious as soon as I sat on the floor with a treat and the topical spray, so I guess she has thoroughly wised up. After her ear drops, I couldn’t get her to eat the treat at all. We’re giving her space plus lots of good affection so that it’s not every time we approach her she’s getting drops or sprays. 

She’s still scratching at the ears but hasn’t bothered with the hot spot so that’s good, it already looks better. The vet mentioned Benadryl or Zyrtec, but right now, she’s on Temeril for the hotspot which has an antihistamine. I’ve ordered salmon oil for her food but stupid Amazon is four days late - the vet thought that might help as well. We’re going to buy some at the store. 

I’ve read a lot of info on zinc deficiency - gosh let’s hope not. She’s on a high quality kibble and none of her kibble or treats have wheat, soy, or corn, plus we give her carrots as treats. I’ll definitely keep it in mind if she keeps having issues - will be worth a discussion with the vet for sure. Thanks everyone! We’re getting through it one day at a time...

Poor baby!

Does she have allergies? Seems like with the ear and then the hot spot?

I had a dog that had really bad allergies. First ears, then watery eyes, then hot spots, then chewed on her paws. 

I gave her  Echinacea. One drop on bread and then worked up to about 8 drops. I also started with a small cap full of Vegetable oil with a Hypro dry food with salmon skins when every we had that ( at least 2x a week).

It took about a month but it all went away. I kept her on that and it nevet came back.

(bagbomb worked great until everything was healed)

*that is just what worked for us*

Thanks - yes, I do think she has allergies. Vet said they aren’t uncommon here with our long growing season. The antihistamine she’s on now seems to help a lot, I think I will look into the echinacea as I have allergies too and I know how miserable they are!

Things are getting better here, she hasn’t bothered with her ears or hot spot and from what I can see, it already looks a lot better. Plus we’re getting loads of no-pull training leash walks in. Phew.

That is fantastic! So happy to hear everything is getting better.

Allergies are getting bad here too. I have noticed the boy's eyes are watery. Doesn't seem to bother. We have a puppy check up appointment this week, I'll see what the doc says.

Hope things stay good.

One of my local dog walkers has a dog with a bitten ear, he never got on with the stupid plastic cone so he was wearing what looked like the inner tube from a small wheel. Effective but far more comfortable and sensible. Don’t know where he got it but if I needed a collar for Luna I’d go for that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived