Hey there! I'm interested in adopting a Siberian Husky puppy, and since I've never owned one before, I was hoping to get some advice when it comes to breeders. I have been searching for quite a while to find the perfect puppy, and I thought that I had, but later I was idly searching for husky pictures and came across a forum on this website, in which another user had in a similar situation to mine requested advice and discovered that his dream puppy may actually be riddled with health issues, and with your guys' help he decided on a much safer puppy. I'm hoping to have the same wonderful advice, so here he is!

The breeder is Breeders name removed, and from what I could tell, they seemed very legitimate, with AKC certified parents and Champion Bloodlines, and the puppies looked healthy to me, but again, I am new to the world of huskies and am likely overlooking obvious health issues. I attached first the 3 photos of the puppy, an 8 week old male, and following those are the photos of Jax, the father, and Kita, the mother. Following those are the health guarantees they offer. I called them as well, and they seem genuinely interested in finding safe and suitable homes for their huskies, and were happy to help me. 

What do you guys think-is he a safe bet? Are there any questions I could ask the breeder to clarify anything in regards to his health?

Thanks in advance!!

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.57.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.57.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.57.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 10.59.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.00.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.01.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.01.38 PM.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there the breeders name is probably going to get removed as you aren’t allowed to advertise breeders on this site

I suppose all you can do is actually see the pup before you buy instead of having them delivered, make sure they and the parents look happy and healthy, and see proof of vaccinations. Buying from any breeder is a risk no matter how genuine they seem

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I think it's great the breeder provides a health guarantee. These are guarantees for how the puppies "currently" stand before you adopt them. With dogs, there is no way to predict if they will get an illness or not. So always have your puppy up to date with shots and a good exam annually.
Your puppy is absolutely gorgeous and very photogenic!! I pray you take him home with you!!
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171][emoji259]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

The only thing that puzzles me is seeing the Mother dog on a lead. I’m suspicious by nature lol, but if the dog is used to being in the home, why the lead? It says to me it’s been brought in to look as though indoors is the usual environment but is it? There’s no other dog related items I can see in the photo either.

Have you been to the breeders home, do they permit visits beforehand? I think you’re right to be cautious. The sire looks healthy enough but the mother looks quite jaded, a bit thin maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous puppy!
All of the above, there's nothing wrong with being cautious, once you visit the home and see the pups and parents you'll be able to judge any reservations you may have for yourself. A genuine breeder will ask you as many questions as you ask her, such as how you intend to care for the pup, etc, some breeders also have contracts drawn up for potential owners for pups protection. Good luck whatever you decide [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Our breeder drilled me!!! 

Mother, father, two other females; he used to breed and a daughter from a previous breed were all on site all together.

Made us come back three times to visit any time without notice.

Didn't like the idea of me taking two. Had to convince him of my background in order to pay a pretty penny for both.

Mom and dad and all others were great  mannered! Could tell they were strictly outside dogs but all had naturally good manners

You can always share photos to the breeder of how well your two are doing!! Tell her how much in love with them you are, how they're growing, healthy, etc.
You seem to be doing great with your two gorgeous puppies!! I'm so happy for you!!
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252][emoji171]

Absolutely, 

I send pics back to the breeder. 1st one week, 2nd a couple days ago, and will send the next at 6 months. It helps the a co-worker of my husband recommended him. Don't feel like I am bothering him.

*did state to please contact and he is willing to take one if not both back if it didn't work out*

Now that is a great breeder!

Your guys' help means so much more to me than I can express! Again, I've never owned a husky before, so it really really makes me feel much better to have experienced and kind people available and willing to help me! I just wanted to introduce one other puppy I was considering to see if he'd be good, because he's younger, looks more playful, is less pricey, and is closer to me. I had one question though-I didn't know that huskies completely change color! I was looking at some puppy vs adult photos, and some puppies go from completely solid colors to dark eye masks and pale bodies, some go from dark masks to completely solid colors, I even saw one that went from light red to dark grey!! I was wondering if there's any way to estimate what color a puppy will be when they grow up? The other puppy that I was interested in has a dark muzzle and nose, and I was wondering if those markings are likely to stay or fade with age. 

Additionally, the first puppy I showed you guys is dark brown to black, and I'm wondering what the odds are that he'll grow up lighter; maybe wolf-grey. Again, his snout is also black, and I'm wondering how likely it is that he'll keep that black snout, or if it'll lighten up.

Of course, I would never make a decision based on color-this is purely based on my own curiosity!

Do any of you have agouti puppies that look way different now than they did as puppies? Feel free to share pics! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Pic 1-New puppy I'm considering (the one whose color is in question)

Pics 2&3-Adult Agouti huskies with dark faces

Pics 4&5-Adult Wolf-grey husky and his baby picture

Pic 6-Adult agouti husky with a dark face and a dark coat

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 10.19.54 PM.png

IMG_3835.png

IMG_3834.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 3.24.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 3.24.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 3.25.28 PM.png

Again, any suggestions or educated guesses about what the 2 puppies may grow up to look like would be much appreciated!

Personally I think they will look most like the first adult but it’s hard to tell as they change so much! Astros sister had a really unusual mask as a pup which completely faded away

Image1527709646.081264.jpg

Astros sister second from right

Which turned to this second from left...

IMG_0045.JPG

More recent pic

IMG_2787.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

1 minute ago, robke said:

sorry but I would pick a pup with good temperament rather then looks...

No I 100% agree that temperament is always more important than looks. To clarify, this is purely due to my own curiosity, and because I was trying to figure out names that would still be fitting once the pup is grown up!

If the pup in Picture 1 is the one you're wanting, he looks very stunning. He seems to have lots of personality just by the photo. Try to play with him before you actually bring him home to get him used to you.
Picture 4 looks like a true wolf with ears wide set apart, talk & sleek...beautiful!!
Good luck with finding your new pup!![emoji847][emoji171]

First of all, welcome to the forum!  It's great that  you are doing the research beforehand.  I think that you have gotten some great advice so far.  As far as color goes, it can change a bit, the mask may get smaller, color darkens, etc.  My white husky had a black nose when I got him but it turned flesh colored. 

• 2 weeks later...

The puppy I was interested in got adopted(which was bittersweet for me 😅), but fortunately I was able to find another puppy that I’m in love with. The breeder is reputable, he’s close by, and the puppy has a great temperament. My big concern with this one is that I’m worried he’s a wooly. I have a lot of trouble telling the difference between Woolies and longer furred huskies, so I would really really appreciate any feedback you guys have! You guys have me such great advice the first time I would love to get your opinions again! 

The pics are all of the puppy, and the copper dog is his father, and obviously the black and white one feeding puppies is his mother. The last pic is also of him, it just came out of order 😅

Any ideas? Are his parents wooly? Does he look wooly?

(this may be an uneducated question, but is it possible for 2 wooly parents to have a shorter furred pup?)

I have pics of his siblings, as well as a video of him if that would help. Thanks so much!!!

8C6EE05A-2454-4195-857E-C574C9A042F7.jpeg

49079238-9DFD-4FDA-89A4-B645D3020B9C.jpeg

CB2F70B1-2A43-4147-94BF-7F48C3B03016.jpeg

1B071FE7-BC37-4536-88EB-3BB429EBD86C.jpeg

DEE37386-0825-4499-A20C-8FCCC96C06C6.jpeg

C67B440B-B713-451C-94F4-71E7CAF9CB4D.jpeg

68AE7C6A-C24B-4EAE-B0E7-787CA10B1097.jpeg

Hard to tell but he looks like he might be , if not full wooly still long coated more like his mum than his dad and yes it is possible for 2 woolies to have standard coat pups

Why are u worried about the fact he might be a wooly ?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

23 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Hard to tell but he looks like he might be , if not full wooly still long coated more like his mum than his dad and yes it is possible for 2 woolies to have standard coat pups

Why are u worried about the fact he might be a wooly ?

I’m worried because woolies tend to get matted fur more easily, and can’t get wet, as well as the fact that I am located in the south, so long fur that mats and can’t get wet(no swimming to cool off!) May not be the best idea.

I’m worried because woolies tend to get matted fur more easily, and can’t get wet, as well as the fact that I am located in the south, so long fur that mats and can’t get wet(no swimming to cool off!) May not be the best idea.
So long as u brush pup regularly you'll be fine
Skyla LOVES water too , she is a wooly and fine :) no matts either

Oh n she looks fat in that vid but it's all.fur , when she blows her coat she looks like a completely different dog lol I'll get an updated pic soon but this is the most recent n she's lost more fur since these pics lol
20180603_122205.jpgIMG_20180603_143443_137.jpg

Archived