Sign in to follow this  
Stardancer85

Rain + our husky Halo = one stinky polar bear! What do we do?

Oof. We had our first rainy rainy walk since bringing her home on Saturday. She is NOT one of those huskies that doesn't want to go out in the rain. But she's also SUPER furry. I took her out twice this AM (she gets a long walk at 6:15am, ~45mins and then a shorter ~20min walk at around 8:30am before I head to work) in the rain.

Now, to put it politely, she has that wet dog smell. I didn't even think Huskies got that! My mistake. To put it impolitely, STINKY POLAR BEAR!!!

The first time, she shook off, I lightly toweled her (keep in mind she's still new to our family so I want to go slow with the new grooming), and then I brushed her. She then cleaned her own fur and did a much better job than I did. The second time, it was raining quite a bit harder. We came home soaked. I got a bigger towel and tried to dry her off, but couldn't get her to hang around long enough to get her completely dry and didn't want to push it yet. The floor, me, and her were too wet to try the blowdryer on cool (I did get a nice little shock in the arm for my efforts).

Couple of questions for you all. First, I bought this conditioner/detangler for her: Chris Christensen Ice on Ice Conditioner with Sunscreen. Can/should I spray her with this after toweling and before brushing? Might that help? I know not to bathe her often because of their dry skin.

Should I just dry her more thoroughly (I do plan to, I just want to work up to it so she is comfortable with it)? Should I get a dry foaming shampoo?

Any other suggestions for keeping her smelling fresh (or at least, not awful)?

Thanks all!

IMG_3162.jpg

Dry her best you can and leave her to dry she'll only smell wet as long as she's wet trust me my girl is the same as yours n she loves jumping in puddles lol IMG_20180522_150143_014.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Omg they really do look alike! Beautiful. Good to hear, thanks! 
Any mud leave it to dry and if she's like my girl it'll either just fall off or you can brush it out no worries , we get a lot of rain and as soon as we're back from a walk n I dry them down they're both out in the garden getting soaked again

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

@Stardancer85 ~ You can use a doggy "smell good" spray. You can get them anywhere there's a dog store. Some of the sprays are like a shampoo/conditioner spray...spray lightly all over, gently rub her fur and leave in. Then she'll smell wonderful!!
She's beautiful!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app