Zinc deficiency question

Emma Hall

pretty sure my 7.5 month old husky pup has a zinc deficiency although its not been picked up by the vet, but by other people who know husky traits.

anyway, she has all the normal signs ZRD, redness and hair loss around her eyes and muzzle, but now she has a little lump above her right eye, you can sort of see it in the photo below on the left. we've put this down to ZRD again but all of you who have experienced ZRD, is this another symptom or should I be worried. 

8c997790-c3a6-44ad-b3d8-8bcd6678d784.jpeg

You can soon find out if this is ZRD by getting some (dog safe) zinc cream and apply it to the red areas  -  if it responds then you know.

zincdeficiencyinsleddogs.pdf 

This might help.    It really is very detailed and extremely helpful.     You do not say how you feed your furbaby,  if its kibble then if you cannot change to a raw diet -  adding 20% raw food to kibble will go a long way to helping.

thanks, she already has nutrazinc and we've changed her food. she was raw fed with kibble, we've changed the kibble to grain free, but it didn't get better, seemed to get worse so under advice we've (only just) gone to kibble only with supplemented berries/apples etc. 

we were not 100% sure that the bones etc in the meat wasn't absorbing the zinc she was getting.

i've also changed the zinc supplement to last thing at night, not with her meal.

next stop is salmon oil, but she goes into kennels next week whilst we go on holiday so wanted to wait til after that before starting salmon oil.

the whole thing is a really stressful, her eye looked like it was gonna explode yesterday, but seems to have calmed down a little now. I just don't know how to ease her discomfort 😞

I would take her to the Vet for a thorough exam. They could give her something for pain through a cream or orally.
What's going on could actually be something else versus a zinc deficiency (if known through actual testing). It would be good if your Vet could do labs as well before having her boarded.
I pray you find the source of what's causing this.
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji191][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived