Undercoat Falling Out in Winter

Vickie

More curious than concerned here. Winter is coming to this half of the world and Mayo's undercoat grew rapidly -- and also falling out at the same time!

This is what happened when I fluffed her leg this morning:

fluff.thumb.jpg.bd90aaac02b8d258ecc841eb507a325b.jpg

She still has more undercoat than she did in summer, and it doesn't get very cold here in Sydney; but it's our first winter with her so I don't know if this seems normal. You'd expect her undercoat to stay on until the weather gets warm again?

Yep. Mine blow out once the weather starts to get warmer and then again once it starts to get colder. Always out with the undercoat, poof! Poof! Poof! Go the tufts and once it’s gone the new lot grow in. It’s the change in climatic temperature that initiates the coat blow but why they blow in winter I’m not too sure. But they do look floofier (I’ve made a new word, lol). So I presume that the winter fur must be denser?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Mine blow their coats all the time!! During the coldest part of winter, they were blowing their coats, and much thicker coats were coming in where they looked overweight because it was so dense.
So it's important to brush them every day or every couple of days so the undercoat doesn't get tangled & can breathe better.
I believe it all depends on location, barometric pressure, different changes in weather patterns & the atmosphere. Huskies have their own personal "automatic barometer" built in...most dogs/animals do.
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji191][emoji92][emoji92][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Haha, thanks everyone. I guess putting up with clumps of fallen undercoat is just a husky parent thing, even in winter! At least after 3 months of daily brushing, we got 3-4 months of undercoat-free period from her in the summer just past. :P 

@Vickie ~ All that brushed out fur is like GOLD to the birds!! Just throw it all over the grass ... most of it will be swiped & gone within a couple of days!! (I have to put all the brushed fur in the front yard or my dogs try to eat it!![emoji23][emoji23]) But the birds around here (Ohio USA) love the fur any time of year!! (I always say dog hair is so worth it, even if it's all over my clothes!!)
Your baby's fur is so sleek & gorgeous!!
[emoji4][emoji383][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived