Sign in to follow this  
Xilonen1991

Husky's behavior seems to have changed drastically

Hello! I'm hoping this is posted in the right section. Not sure. It's about both my dog and myself. 

My 4.5 month old dog was attacked a month ago, and while she seems to have made a full recovery (fur growing back where the bite mark was/is), I cannot say the same for me. I think I'm traumatized and I'm affecting my girl as well.

I have become fearful on our walks in the mornings.  Any bark, even off in the distance, makes me tense. Dogs outside, if I don't immediately see the leash, I'm tense. I'm always on alert-mode instead of just enjoying the walk. My girl normally enjoys her walks, but today I messed up really bad.

We were walking down the street, and two men saw us and as we were passing, I picked up part of their comments. "...attacked a dog. A Boston terrier... Grabbed it by the neck and wouldn't let go." It got under my skin, as I was pretty sure they were talking about huskies. Then we kept walking and before we reached the end of the street (our target), I saw a Doberman behind a 4 foot chain-linked fence (that I had never seen before) and I freaked out! I did a 180, and I ran back up the street! It was stupid, I know! It was then I realized how seriously afraid I am- "what if the dog would have jumped over the fence?" Was my thinking. 

Since yesterday, I have noticed Xilonen's hackles go up, when they didn't before. She used to look at cats in curiousity, now she goes into predator mode. This morning she saw the neighbor's son waiting for the bus, and her hackles were raised. She's seen him before, don't recall if he's pet her though. She's no longer curious and outgoing, I feel. 

Is this my fault? Have I caused her to be on alert mode all the time? What can I do to overcome this issue?

Thank you. 

I know how horrible it is after your dogs been attacked to be back around other dogs again, do you know anyone who's dogs are friendly you can meet up to help you both , I've found the calmer and more relaxed/confident I am walking my 2 the more relaxed they are , they definitely feel our stress and tension , hope you're ok

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

they sure feel tension...try different route and relax yourself...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

I know how horrible it is after your dogs been attacked to be back around other dogs again, do you know anyone who's dogs are friendly you can meet up to help you both , I've found the calmer and more relaxed/confident I am walking my 2 the more relaxed they are , they definitely feel our stress and tension , hope you're ok

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Unfortunately, I don't. I've seen other dogs around the neighborhood that I know are friendly, but they either don't get walked or they stay away from us. 😔

Im just a ball of stress. It irritates me to be stressed out like this. 

Thanks. 

57 minutes ago, robke said:

they sure feel tension...try different route and relax yourself...

I've tried taken different routes, with the same result- I freak out. I only feel okay when my husband walks with us. 

it is understandable really...I know that when I am uptight about my business I should not really walk the dogs as they will all be working against me ... so I try, and believe you me it does not always work, and walk them as relaxed as I can...

• Like 1

We have been through several offleash dog attacks, I know how you feel!!

When I pass a certain house ( the one with the psycho dog that attacks us) my heart rate STILL goes up. My dogs fur still stands up if he hears that dog barking. So...

- time heals the fear gradually, week by week

-carry citronella spray or a stick or an umbrella to fend off hostile dogs. Makes you feel better to be ‘armed’.

-adjust walk route and walk time to avoid unfriendly dogs you know are offleash or out walking at that time/place

-talk to your dog in friendly voice when feeling anxious...this helps both of us to calm down. Yes, your dog senses how you feel. She looks to you for leadership!

- dont be afraid to talk to loose dogs owners, remind them about leash laws. Look up laws of your local animal control. You can file a report if it keeps happening ( I plan to.)

Good luck and I hope it will never happen again!

• Like 2

As Rob said dogs can sense how we are feeling so if you are tense the dog will know that and it will make them guard more/anxious themselves

I would really recommend finding an animal behaviourist to come out on a walk with you and help you and your dog relax a bit! They are great at training humans as well as dogs ;) they will be able to show you how a change in your body language will change your dogs behaviour

You can get a pet corrector canister which when you press it lets off a loud noise that dogs hate, I really recommend you get one of those and use it if you feel a dog is getting too close

The behaviourist I use told me once if a dog has a bad experience, show them 100 positive experiences to counter act the bad one. He’s had dogs which have been attacked before, he takes them out every day to meet as many dogs as he can to show them not all dogs are nasty. I think when you’ve gone through a bad situation yourself as well it’s best to through yourself in, so now you’re cautious of other dogs but taking your dog out to meet them will eventually build up a bit of an immunity for you too and build your confidence up

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Good addvice above I would also see if there si a facebook husky walking group near you. they may be able to help you and arrange meet up for play dates at parks or other walking spots. there are a lot of husky walking groups that set up meets at local sites so people can meet up have a chat and have a good long walk with other huskys. For some reason husksy and malamutes seem to react to and play with other huskys and malamutes differently than they so with other breeds.

They seem to have a species thing about them that makes them recognize  fellow sled dogs. I walk my husky with lots of different dogs but the husky pack we have is different and they act and play with each other