possible two huskys

Conall

Hi, I have been looking husky's for quite a few years now but my circumstances meant I have had to put it off for a while. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience raising two husky puppies together and their thoughts on this. of course the training and work will be double, but for the dogs themselves is having two together better for each other in terms of company when I am not in the house. I am a teacher and work from 9am to 3:30pm. The plan is to get them at the start of the summer when I am off and free the entire summer months so I will be around there all day for the earl months. Am I completely mad for thinking about getting two at the same time, because I would have got another one at another stage anyway. Any comments and tips would be greatly appreciated and please don't be afraid to be blunt. Thanks,

Conall

some people will call you insane...but it can be done what I would say however is with training that you do one on one as well as double training give them a bit of extra time with you... you must also take in account that after the school holidays they might not be able to spend all that time alone without going for a pee...

I did see some TV programme about 2 puppies being raised together and, whilst it didn't really impact on me (we'll never have puppies again as waaaaaay too much work - plus we work with a rescue), one thing that sank home, that seemed a good idea, was to make sure you had 1 on 1 with each dog. It extended to actually taking 1 out for the day without the sibling - the why was to ensure they didn't get too attached to each other but, more importantly, that they didn't live their life to the exclusion of the family (as they'd just entertain each other) and, potentially, resent the family

I had one at 8 weeks old and 9 weeks later I got my second who was also 8 weeks old. I established a routine of feeding, training and playtime from day one, for them as much as the rest of the family. They are both 2 now and life seemed to run at 100 miles an hour for at least 18 months, but I have loved every minute of it, I think it has been easier in one sense because I work from home so any issues that arose I could deal with it straight away, and there will be many! As Rob says it’s important to train separately aswell as together, I’ve trained mine with the positive reinforced method and it works 100%, they go anywhere in the house with no issues now, it wasn’t always the case but they are very well behaved now. Husky’s are hard work in the sense that they like to be physically and mentally stimulated, if bored will become destructive. You will need to be firm but with love and patience, lots of it. Some will say to train one then maybe a year later introduce another, it depends on how many you want and if you have the time to train 2 at the same time, it will be challenging and frustrating but it’s so worth the effort when the hard work pays off. Good luck whatever you decide. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

We got two pups close together and in all honesty I found it much harder work.  Training one pup at a time I personally found easier as with the two together they tended to interrupt each other and lead each other astray. 😂 There's also the risk of littermate syndrome developing (they don't have to actually be litter mates to develop this) which thankfully I don't think we had a problem with.  Some people prefer two at a time but personally I wouldn't do it again.  

Thanks for all the comments. I think it’s really interesting but and important in the points being made about training them one on one, even to the extent of taking them out on their own. It makes sense so they don’t become only reliant on eachother and not their owners. 

Does anyone have any tips about a sexes that would be easiest to have together. Will two boys be easier than two girls. I have read that girls are more easy going and perhaps not as territorial as two boys together. Or what about a male and female? Of course no two dogs are the same and training and routine is surly a factor in how they respond to eachother as well as you.

Thanks for all the comments. I think it’s really interesting but and important in the points being made about training them one on one, even to the extent of taking them out on their own. It makes sense so they don’t become only reliant on eachother and not their owners. 
Does anyone have any tips about a sexes that would be easiest to have together. Will two boys be easier than two girls. I have read that girls are more easy going and perhaps not as territorial as two boys together. Or what about a male and female? Of course no two dogs are the same and training and routine is surly a factor in how they respond to eachother as well as you.
I don't have any experience but from what I've read male and female tend to get along better but I'm sure there's others who would be able to give input on this

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I have a female (The boss) and a male husky and a male Welsh Springer Spaniel....and they really do get on very very well...ok like in all there are some spats but they are very rare now...

16 hours ago, Conall said:

Our "normal" everyday is 3 males, 3 females (one of which is a German) - never have the slightest problem, ever, - ages from 5 years to 12 (rescued at various ages from a few months to quite a few years). Granite, who was feral on waste ground for 6 months, tends to be the 'bouncer' of the group but is never mean or nasty and Skye, smallest, is the princess who bosses everyone around (and I swear they let her, to humour her). The group dynamic is tested when, like now, we have a foster come in - and Ice is particularly testing as she sticks her nose in and won't take 'no' for an answer but her judgement is gradually improving as she sees she doesn't get anywhere

My family and I have a brother and sister and we’ve found it surprising easy (i’m Sure it won’t last haha as they’re only 15 weeks). They are very content together however we make sure that we spend quality time with each on a regular basis! Training is going well and it’s lovely to see their different personalities developing! She’s definitely the boss ha ha but he’s also protective when we’re out in public! It’s the best thing we ever did 😊

938B34D5-8F38-462B-BAA5-E8CD006E224A.jpeg

792B5161-D3FC-4B46-B683-7AAD09C73BC7.jpeg

Archived