Vomiting and Twitchy Abdomen

Vickie

Our almost 8-year-old Mayo doesn't seem to be feeling very well. We're quite worried and at a loss as to what could be causing it. :( These are her symptoms, in the order of our noticing:

• - buried her roo tail morning treat instead of eating it straight away
  • + super excited to see me come home; did all the usual running up to greet me with big smile, etc.
  • - but later, instead of sitting by the kitchen child gate and whining for me to hurry up and finish preparing her dinner, she just sat and stared into space
  • + but she's still very excited for food once offered!
  • - ... which she vomited shortly after
  • + still very excited for a walk, and had a big smile when she came home from it
  • + doesn't seem to be tender anywhere when we pressed and checked
  • ? seems to have softer poop, but no mucus or other unusual things noticed
  • - not moving much unless we call her
  • + but when called she would run up with a wagging tail
  • - her lower abdomen seems to be twitching every now and then

The thing I changed recently is putting her on a hip and joint chewable (this one: https://www.iherb.com/pr/21st-Century-Pet-Natural-Care-Hip-Joint-Level-3-Liver-Flavor-45-Chewables/52445) 3 days ago. I'd been feeding her a hip joint powder for human and she was totally fine, but I moved to the pet chew because I thought it would be easier. This could all be coincidental, but I feel quite horrible if that's what caused her all the discomfort. :( I've stopped that now, obviously.

If her symptoms persist, we'll take her to the vet. But I thought I should post here in case it's obvious to any of you what this could be.

It could be any number of things  -  she may have picked up something whilst out  -  don't go beating yourself up just yet.    Wisest course is a trip to vet as you say.

Mayo is much improved when we came home from work last night! Most of the reported symptoms in the original post seem to be gone, but she still buried instead of eat her roo tail treat in the morning. She doesn't seem to be back at 100% yet but glad to see her following us around the house with a smile again. Will keep observing. 🤞

Mayo ate her roo tail this morning. Hooray! 😄

In maybe a week or two, I might give the pet joint supplements another go. If her symptoms return then it's definitely responsible.

Archived