Hello

Denvra

Thanks for letting me join.

We adopted Milo, a 4 1/2 year old dog in November. The shelter told us he has some husky in him. We have been working with a trainer that recommended we have his DNA tested, to see what we’re working with. Milo’s DNA results came in last night and he’s 50% Siberian Husky and 50% Labrador. Hopefully now, it will be easier to work on some Milo’s quirks.

Does anyone have a dog that screams like he’s being killed??? He only screams when he sees another dog. He not being aggressive just very excited. But it can be intimidating to others when a 80 pound is screaming at their dog. 

Anyone ever deal with an issue like this? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

62619EA5-830B-42B2-BB18-FE2CC883FD5E.png

Welcome to the forum. 

Ice used to squeal like a pig eveytime he saw another dog. I think the correct thing to do is to train them to keep their focus on you with either a clicker or some treats.  But I went a bit off track and found success with just getting Ice to sit and let him watch as the dog went by. Providing they were on the other side of the road or at least not right on top of him, then he will happily sit and quietly watch them pass without all the noise.  

Emma, 

That’s exactly what we are working on at doggie school. Owners greet each other with their dogs, having the dogs sit while the people talk. Having the dogs walk past each other, etc. Milo does pretty good in class in the controlled environment. He “greets” each dog the same, screaming at them either outside the building or as they walk into the class. He calms down fast once he greets the other dogs. His greetings start with a whine and we try to redirect him before the screaming starts. Our biggest issue is outside, he can spot another dog in the distance way faster than I do. So I’m already behind in trying to redirecting him. I always have a pocket full of cut up cheese and hotdogs when Milo is out with me.

His screaming is not aggressive but hearing this 80 pound dog screaming can be intimidating to owners that don’t understand, especially if their dog is small.

Thanks for letting me know I’m on the right road with the redirecting exercise . 

Thanks for the welcome. I would be happy if it was only a squeal. When he starts the screaming, people look at me like I’m hurting him. I then have to explain that he’s not aggressive but very friendly and excited to see their dog. I have gotten the impression that some of them don’t believe me. 

Aww, what an interesting problem to have. I am sure you understand that's his way of communicating, but others may wonder what is going on.  Mine whimpers sometimes when he sees another dog, but he's not very loud. I hope you will be able to work with him on that. I wish I had some advice or tips to give, but I just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the group.

Thank you for your the welcome. We are working on redirecting him before the screaming starts. We have been attending dog school and he does fairly well in the controlled environment. I understand this is his way of calling to the other dogs. He screams at them when he sees them and starts screaming again when they leave. Basically I think it’s his way of gathering his pack and recalling them when they leave.  We don’t know much about our dog's history. Just that his original owner surrendered him after 4 years. He was then adopted out and returned to the shelter after s short while. We are his third family.  The trainer/instructor at school is involved with dog sledding and she asked if Milo was ever part of a team. In her opinion his behavior is similar to the behavior of her team dogs. A lot of excited screaming when they get together and then calming down when it’s time to work.

Our hope is just that we can someday take him to dog friendly events and places and not upset the other dog owners and be asked to leave. 

On 5/2/2018 at 3:53 PM, Denvra said:

Does anyone have a dog that screams like he’s being killed??? He only screams when he sees another dog. He not being aggressive just very excited. But it can be intimidating to others when a 80 pound is screaming at their dog. 

Anyone ever deal with an issue like this? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Granite used to scream like I was killing him when he saw another dog - and once he'd said 'Hello' he'd ignore and start whinging to continue walking. We just used to tell him the "You can't meet every dog on a walk" and he's gradually learned that he can't! Current foster is a barker at men and a shouter at unknown dogs, so is "fun" to walk! But, although we've only had her a week, she's already improving. Just consistently ask them not to. Works for us

• 1 month later...

Welcome to this awesome forum. 

Milo sounds amazing.. 

My girl is dog reactive and I'm going through de-sensitisation by keeping her on a short lead in dogmatic head collars; this gives me much better head control on my two who are both over 80 lbs!

My boy Chester now whines and Eski will still bark and try to get to other dogs however I hold her tight and make her turn away from them to LOOK at me as i say 'Leave' or 'On By / Go By' (used when we run in the rig to tell them to ignore / over take).  She is incredibly stubborn and takes much longer to 'listen and learn'. 

I think her history before I got her aged 2 1/2 was mixed and she may have been attacked too. She came with possessiveness (had been around other breeds of dogs), jealousy (insecure), and guarding over food. I've worked hard over the past two+ years and they both can and respond to tricks and lying down & waiting .. and waiting .. before going to their food bowls on verbal cimmand or hand signals. Otherwise she's an angel.🤗

I can recommend successdogs.com.  I use all positive reward training MO and it works.. with consistency, persistency, and every treat is 'earned' in doing something, whether Gee/Haw (spin/turn right/left), sit, paw, high five, down, say please (they wrruff or bark). Chester is very good and can pick up & take toys to a bowl or back to his bed. He can fetch too. (Always rewarded.)  It takes a min of 30 reps to get a a new instruction 'in' and then repeat again over days & weeks.  Remember to adjust feed if a lot of treats are given and I suggest thtee - four trng sessions a day..with play time ones  too. 🤗

Archived