Neutering

Makayla

I adopted a Pure Bread Siberian Husky female puppy. (Miley). She was about 2 months old when i adopted her and now she is almost 1. I am a college student so i'm busy often with school and work, etc. but i for the most part do most of what i need to do from my apartment because when Miley is put into her cage she disturbs my other two roommates. She was never really bad at first when put in her cage, she would howl really loud for a couple minutes then she would stop. About a month ago she started going through heat and every since about a week into heat when put into her cage she howls uncontrollably for hours without stopping. I have finals coming up so i need to be in the library at night but i literally feel chained to my apartment all day every because of the way she recently started acting. I originally didn't want to get her fixed because me and my family wanted to breed her, which is why she isn't currently fixed. But now that i'm in college, the behavior is hard to deal with when i have small errands to run but i literally can't leave. I have heard stories about people getting their dogs fixed and them being an entirely new dog after, behavior wise. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Have any recommendations? 

miley.jpg

you would need to wait at least 3 months before the operation can be done..and from my experience it does not give you a "new" dog  after the op our Bindi is still the same old Bindi after her hysterectomy, just have to watch her weight...

6 minutes ago, robke said:

you would need to wait at least 3 months before the operation can be done..and from my experience it does not give you a "new" dog  after the op our Bindi is still the same old Bindi after her hysterectomy, just have to watch her weight...

So fixing a puppy doesn't calm them down? I was also recommended to get one of the vibrating collars that will slightly shock her when she starts barking in order to crate train her. Any advice on that method instead? 

that is to me a cruel method...is punishing with fear... so totally disagree with that.

what you have is a pup with SA  retrain to use her crate as a good place to be and that she can stay alone...start slowly and increase the time every time with good rewards what can help as well is put a cover on her crate to make it a den...

@Makayla Hello. Your MILEY is gorgeous & a sweetheart!!🤗 I know you are extremely busy with work & school, and having an active dog can be overwhelming.

1)Think of your Husky MILEY as a child. A child could not be left by itself all the time and would become bored, anxious & sad.

2) MILEY is looking up to you for happiness, to learn, play & feel loved. You've got to make time for your baby girl. You can take her on daily walks, play some games with her like Hide & Seek, tug of war w/a doggy rope, get her some non-edible chew bones, balls, get some doggy puzzle games, etc. 

3)While you study: If it's warm enough outside, you could walk MILEY and hang out studying at a quiet place like a picnic table or park. You could bring some of her toys. Even if it's just for 20minutes, she needs to get out some and walk to release all that play energy she has.

4) Take Breaks. You need to take some breaks from all the studying. That's when you want to play with MILEY or take her for a 30-minute walk. Walking will help her, but it will also help you to lesson feeling overwhelmed. Always use a leash & harness.

5) Can you take MILEY to your parents to play & they can watch her for a bit??

6) Make sure you give MILEY these 4 things:

~Physical Stimulation

~Mental Stimulation

~Communication

~Lots of Love

7)Please "never" use a Shock Collar. That is the worst thing you could ever do. It's cruel but does not help with discipline, it truly causes severe fear & anxiety. Also, never strike/hit a dog for discipline. Instead always use positive reinforcement "reward" training with doggy treats. It sounds like MILEY is "not" being bad at all, she just wants someone to love her & pay attention to her & play with her. Remember, MILEY is just like a child. You treat them calmly, gently & give lots of love.

8)You can teach her tricks using doggy treats like sit, shake, lie down, high five, etc. Only do training for about 10minutes at a time. Huskies love learning new things.

😎9) I would get her spayed after her heat season. (Neutering is for males.) It probably won't calm her down much. You said your family wants to breed her. But if no one has much time for MILEY, then no one would have time for puppies. Talk about being overwhelmed...having puppies can be crazy & especially overwhelming.🤗Plus, there are already so many Huskies in shelters waiting for their forever homes.

I hope this information is beneficial for your situation. Just take some time to be creative with spending quality time with your baby. You can look on the internet for fun things to do with MILEY. You have an incredible, beautiful dog who loves you!! It's hard work but you can do it!! So go love on your beautiful MILEY and take her for a nice walk...or she can take you for a nice walk.

🤗🐺🐾💜🌞

Archived