Toilet training for 6 month old.

_jay_

Hi all.  I have a 6 month old male Husky called Max.  Hes well behaved in general (still destroys the odd item here and there) but obeys most commands first try.

My biggest struggle at the moment is toilet training him.  He knows to go outside, and will do so and i praise him when he does.  However he will also go inside by the back door if its not open.  This can be at night, or even if we are just watching tv.  He wont try to indicate in anyway that he wants to go toilet like our other dog does, so just goes on the floor by the door.  

How can i train him to say he needs to go outside and thst its not ok to go inside?  

I would love to ignore inside but it’s not getting any better, it seems he has taken this as acceptance and that it’s ok.  

Is is there anything people have done to get him to indicate he wants to go and hold it in until I do open the door?

Maybe the fact that he is "by the door" is the "key" that he needs to go potty. Another sign is if he starts sniffing the carpet, take him quickly outside and say potty. To train him, I'd take him out every 30 minutes to go potty (and say go potty) even if he doesn't have to go.

I hope this helps.🤗🐺🐾

He likes to spend time in the hallway or kitchen anyway during the day as its cooler, and then at night obviously we are asleep so wont see him go.  As long as its not raining i keep the door open for him and he will only go outside which is brilliant.  So he knows to go outside, that part he learnt.  I just need to stop the going inside by the door.

I would try the bell training.  All 3 of mine have different ways of letting me know, but the first pup took a long time to potty train, so patience is key. At 6 months he should know better, but I would say if its not better by 9 months then I would be more concerned.  Nikko will scratch at the door, Yukon jumps at the door but Kodiak will just stand and wait without making a sound. 

• 4 months later...

http://www.sparksk9.com/blog/from-chaos-to-calm-where-do-i-start

There's one for house training too

http://thehousebreakingbible.com/wp/training-umbilical-cord-training/

Just started on my girl today: 

Umbilical Cord training on my dog reactive HuskyXMalamute/s

Well 40 mins in and Eski is relaxed, by me.  She's followed me after realising she HAS to stay with me on this leash. 
She's getting the message she cannot just walk off... lol
She's started to sit when I stop, and is beginning to watch me more, and listen although I don't speak, I do bring her to my left side, and make her wait for me to go through doorways.  
I don't expect a miracle, however I'm  quite chuffed with this so far.  
I did a pickup outside, to the bin, back into the house, pick up recycling stuff, out to the bin, back inside, then bed making, cleaning and vacuuming through, the bungalow, and she's had to stick with me.  
Bathroom (incl loo!), kitchen, wiping down, clean over surfaces, cooker, plus unloading and reloading a few bits into, the dishwasher, emptying the drier, reloading this, off to get next wash and back to load w/machine. She's now had her first hour.  
I'll do the same with my boy.

I would start from the beginning, taking him out every 30 mins, night time too, it worked for my 2 and they were toilet trained by 11 weeks . It’s no fun getting up in the night but 2-3 weeks of doing this should work. If mine need to go out during the night Cai will go down and bark once by the back door and Luka will put his paw on me if I’m asleep. Good luck [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived